Nissan 180sx Abandoned Project - Side Quest

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
As many of you who have me on Facebook know, I sold my AE86 a little while ago in an effort to scrape together more house funds. A great idea in theory, but COVID-19 kicked in and I decided to hold off for a little while to see what the market does.

So I have some spare cash in my bank account and the next thing I know I have a 180sx, because you know, I am addicted to Japanese cars. Here is the story/build:

Around 3 years ago, after many conversations about JDM legends and trips out in my then PS13, my good friend Hamish decided he wanted to have a go at buying his own 180sx, after some searching we eventually found this car and imported it from Japan, we knew then it had rough paint, but had a solid underside and a good going SR20 Redtop.
S3ZIfot.jpg

A few months later it arrived into Newcastle and he took it up to his parents home in Edinburgh where it would receive its first MOT and be registered.
aPRHKKs.jpg

VM8ShWD.jpg

WJHolrx.jpg

GXqJwu5.jpg

The car eventually moved up to his work where he done some basic modifications to the car, like removing the body kit in favour of some Kouki stuff. This unfortunately didn't last long as when he was working out of the country someone crashed into the car, smashing the front bumper to bits and giving the wing a serious ding.
mEZch0g.jpg

DnEyFIf.jpg

He managed to replace the bumper with a stock S13 bumper but unfortunately Hamish then almost lost heart in it, with a heavy work schedule lined up and huge commitments to another project it ended up sitting abandoned for almost 2 years. I actually almost forgot it existed and with the amount he was working, I am sure he pretty much forgot about it too.

Some time in June me and Hamish were having a conversation about S15's as he was potentially looking to buy one, he asked if I would be interested in purchasing the 180sx to 'save it'... Having already bought a Transit Recovery truck the same week my house funds were quickly haemorrhaging but you just can't turn down a 180sx! A few weeks later I made the trip to Edinburgh to collect it.
YiqP1W6.jpg

s3OksLi.jpg

Gave it a quick wash when I got back and it sat for a few months until I decided what I wanted to do with it.
dEwEgCX.jpg

After some time at home and a bit of a break from work I started to gather a few bits and bobs to start making it back into a good car again, I am normally a real wheels only type of guy but these 17x9 Rotas came up cheap, in 4x114 and I just couldn't turn them down to improve the look of the car. Also managed to buy a few silly under bonnet bits and missing interior parts from the same guy.
fBAFQFF.jpg

pE3QZ1T.jpg

Started undoing some of the mental Japanese over painted lights and also fixing the extremely badly placed screw holes from the old FRP skirts (Please never do this if you have an Sbody). They will need a final skim with the buff wheel before some etch primer and high build.
0ryWLTZ.jpg

KszPwQt.jpg

lRRKCva.jpg

XhnHaJk.jpg

P3jiYXm.jpg

Ordered a full Kouki bodykit from Byba kits last week, awaiting delivery this week coming but I couldn't help myself to see what it would look like with the kit on so I borrowed my friend Kanes kouki stuff and set it into place for a photo.
TQUjutJ.jpg

Next job to tackle is the terrible Japanese wiring, its got earthing kits and cables for turbo timers/boost controllers running all over the place, the plan will be to return most of this back to stock so that I don't run into electrical gremlins. The car will obviously need painted at some stage, I have been thinking about keeping it white for that fresh look, but having a red 180sx and red S15 is maybe tickling my fancy.

More to come soon.

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
I'll buy the s15 off ye cheap like the old s14 😋😋

Seriously jealous haha but can't wait to see where this goes

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
This is going to get out of hand rather quickly, isn’t it...? 😬

I really hope not Nicky, I have bought it with the aim of a good tidy up, some choice parts and then sell it on as the market for them is crazy at the moment. I did stand and stare at it for about 30/40 minutes today though reminding myself how good they look.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
these sorts of car id generally look past, and i did with the original wheels...but those new ones hit the spot for me anyway!
looks well sir

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Seriously cool car, big fan of these since I was a kid, even have a model kit one in the cabinet :cool:
Look forward to seeing more updates

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Baguettes
Don't think ive ever seen a "finished" s-chassis, there so many parts available to ever be able to call one finished :cool:

Last edited:

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Haven't had an update on this for some time as I have been out of the country working for a bit, now I have returned I have got a small bit of motivation to try and push this forward to paint in the next few weeks, of course there is plenty of work to be done first.

First up is a front mount intercooler, I had a spare core hanging about so invested in some new pipework to remove the old stock wing mount intercooler, this was a bit of a faff job as most of the IC piping is poor fitting. The core was black, also gave it a lick of paint to be silver and tie in better with the pipework.

KGckALk.jpg

LKLC6Cc.jpg

xeJhOJJ.jpg

Next up was actually fitting the kit correctly to make sure all drilling and bending/messing would be done before any painting had to be done, it looks good now but the amount of work that went in to making that front bumper fit is mental, all the OEM brackets did not fit the FRP stuff so had to make everything from scratch, the skirts still need slight work once the new clips and fittings arrive. Spoiler fitted also really helps the look, you can not beat a Kouki kitted 180sx.

F4UgWnj.jpg

Csx9sHB.jpg

The paint also arrived for the car, gone for Ford Diamond White, nice having an English address where you can easily get stuff delivered without the added NI costs.

96LVCT3.jpg

As you may see from some photos this car was originally black and painted white in Japan to a drift car standard, so my to do list for next week is removing the doors, boot and bonnet to start cleaning and prepping all the areas which were never painted previously.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Whatever happened to the purple one years ago?

Once @ashloys ruined it with a Rocket Bunny kit, it went to another guy, now it lives in England, the guy added me on Facebook but haven't seen many pictures of it since.

3LqDXfG.jpg

vAL0WPL.jpg

jm9cg9v.jpg

That was my first ever Sbody, bought it for a few hundred quid, a full SR20 swap from Richard Bradley with a gearbox was something like £700, same swap would cost you around £4k now days.

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
Haven't had an update on this for some time as I have been out of the country working for a bit, now I have returned I have got a small bit of motivation to try and push this forward to paint in the next few weeks, of course there is plenty of work to be done first.

First up is a front mount intercooler, I had a spare core hanging about so invested in some new pipework to remove the old stock wing mount intercooler, this was a bit of a faff job as most of the IC piping is poor fitting. The core was black, also gave it a lick of paint to be silver and tie in better with the pipework.

KGckALk.jpg

LKLC6Cc.jpg

xeJhOJJ.jpg

Next up was actually fitting the kit correctly to make sure all drilling and bending/messing would be done before any painting had to be done, it looks good now but the amount of work that went in to making that front bumper fit is mental, all the OEM brackets did not fit the FRP stuff so had to make everything from scratch, the skirts still need slight work once the new clips and fittings arrive. Spoiler fitted also really helps the look, you can not beat a Kouki kitted 180sx.

F4UgWnj.jpg

Csx9sHB.jpg

The paint also arrived for the car, gone for Ford Diamond White, nice having an English address where you can easily get stuff delivered without the added NI costs.

96LVCT3.jpg

As you may see from some photos this car was originally black and painted white in Japan to a drift car standard, so my to do list for next week is removing the doors, boot and bonnet to start cleaning and prepping all the areas which were never painted previously.

Lemme know when you wanna sell it 🤪

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
I had booked some time off work in anticipation for the restrictions lifting slightly so I could head to my friends in Newcastle with my TIG to help him make a downpipe for his car, as you are all well aware there was no restrictions lifted so I decided to use my time off wisely and set about getting this 180sx progressed.

The next big thing to tackle on the car was its paint, as you will see above I ordered some fresh paint for it so it was going to have to happen at some stage but I had sort of been putting it off due to the effort it takes.

First things first was stripping it down, the car was obviously originally black in Japan and had a poor paintjob carried out where many of the shuts/interior sections were totally disregarded, I wanted to fix as much as I could within reason.

pTj5o3H.jpg

OlyhuNd.jpg

A few of us split the costs of a portable spray booth, I had never used one before and was very surprised by just how easy they are to get up and down plus how well they work, perfect for an amateur painter like myself, took another crying look around Liams Datsun when I was down grabbing the booth from Ste.

iD3zT5y.jpg

7887aCC.jpg

Also me looking happy but really hating my life sanding and prepping all the FRP and fixing minor imperfections with the shell.

i1LLjlj.jpg

HQivxO5.jpg

Once we had the booth fully set up and everything ready to rock I laid some primer down on all 18 pieces of bodywork, this was a bit of a nightmare as fitting everything in the booth with space to spray it all and not walk into other stuff meant it all needed done in small batches. It pretty much took a whole day to get all the FRP/Wings/Bonnet etc primed.

paiqY9N.jpg

I let all the primed parts sit for a day before proceeding to paint them, again another day of moving everything about and strategically placing things in places where they wont get damaged, I tried to get these all out of the way so I could then focus on the car itself, meaning any imperfections in the bumpers/skirts etc could be fixed after curing for a while.

WyNNnuY.jpg

Sc1iL4b.jpg

4yK0ZHN.jpg

xi9TVm0.jpg

idqCyzv.jpg

The next day I got up at 4am to start prepping to paint the shell making sure to get the most out of the daylight, a coat of primer was needed first. After some cure time I laid down some paint which came out great considering I am a cowboy who likes to give everything a bash.

ObEKuv1.jpg

EVKqjvk.jpg

K9Y5t0X.jpg

kSZRZEk.jpg

BgnWgJV.jpg

YOhTe5A.jpg

vkuj9bt.jpg

96pjtww.jpg

0YRiq6g.jpg

After having a day off with a paint (and maybe some beer) hangover I got back down to the garage yesterday where my now mostly cured panels were waiting and started fitting them all together to make a car again, this can be tedious especially with FRP stuff. Managed to get it mostly back together and today I pulled it outside for a couple of photos to show off on Instragram.

eBQQ8nH.jpg

wlmg9eN.jpg

Pretty happy with how the paint came out considering I have limited experience in painting cars and was using a dusty blow up spray booth. It will be getting a good mop once the paint fully cures in about a week or so.

Got 4 new tyres coming and a new dash to go in next weekend, then a few indicators and side markers to buy before she should be pretty much ready for an MOT.