No Tax or MOT

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gambit

RMS Regular
1. say i buy a car thats MOT's but not taxed - am i able to drive it back to my house? or do i need to trailer it?

2. what if it has no tax or MOT, how do i get it to the MOT centre??

Pac-Man

Banned
You should be ok with the no tax issue if you are just driving it back from the place you bought it.

Also, taking a car to the MOT centre for a test and back again, you are exempt from tax and MOT, but not insurance obviously.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
If there is no tax on the car, then it should be on a SORN which means that its registered with the DVLNI as being untaxed - BUT - off the road. Technically, you shouldn't be driving on the road with no tax at all so if a copper stops you, its his discretion whether he lets it go on the basis that you've just picked up the car.

Cars with no MOT are allowed to drive to the MOT centre but that is quite a strict rule - if they stop you and you're driving on a route which is nowhere near the MOT centre (or out of MOT working hours) you'll get done.

Gaz

basile

RMS Member
:?:

nothing to do with the coppers anymore regarding tax,all they can do is inform the dvlni that it isnt taxed, which they should already know

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
So that would explain why every now and again the coppers will have an operation like the one in Derry a few months back, where they were pulling in all the cars on the new bridge with no tax, and had the clampers standing ready to clamp them? It may be the DVLNI's responsibility but the police WILL enforce it, so better to keep your back covered.

Gaz

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
Gaz said:
Cars with no MOT are allowed to drive to the MOT centre but that is quite a strict rule - if they stop you and you're driving on a route which is nowhere near the MOT centre (or out of MOT working hours) you'll get done.

Gaz

I thought that you where also allowed to drive to a garage in order to have work done for mot preperation?

james

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
ah mate just take the chance, get the lad to write out a receipt that u bought it off him and drive it straight home, as long as you got insurance and proof u just bought it you should be alright (I however take no responsibility for it all going pear shaped if it does)

:grinning:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
six_impressive_hours said:
Gaz said:

Gaz

I thought that you where also allowed to drive to a garage in order to have work done for mot preperation?

james

you are indeed !

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.