Octavia eating tyres

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Went to get two new front tyres on the Octavia today only to be told that my two rear tyres which look fine from the outside are totally bald on the inside. Wasn't impressed.

My car carries around 60-70+kg of weight in the boot all the time. Surely it should be able to handle this?

Looking at the rear suspension there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust it.

Is this a common problem? Any recommendations on where to take it to get checked out? I need to get it sorted ASAP because I do big miles in it and don't want to be forking out £400 odd again for a set of rubber.

brendy

RMS Regular
My old VRS went through tyres every 6k or so, when it went in for its third set of fronts, the rears were shagged, as you say, on the insides. The last 2-3 inches on the inside were totally smooth and worn in. Enthusiastic driving and abrasive surfaces dont help.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I had done about 14k with them on - all 4 fitted last October. Dunlops on the front and Hancook's on the rear.

The tyre place couldn't believe how bad they were today though - they were seriously dangerous.

I know I need to get a new shock on the back but that couldn't effect both tyres that badly??

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
My old Ibiza FR done exactly the same thing and there was no obvious explanation to why she was doing it... :confounded:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Take it that it's independant rear suspension? If so that's your problem.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My Leon would do the same, 4 wheel alignment at regular intervals seems to be the only way to keep on top of it, but thats £35 a touch can get expensive too!!

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
Take it that it's independant rear suspension? If so that's your problem.

agree with that coog here. if your carrying that amount of weight all the time the the angle of the rear camber is going to be noticeable.

for example, the angle my omega's rear camber was at after lowering 40mm was quite extreme althought they never lasted long enough to wear as bad as your describing. effectively, your doing the same thing only with excess weight!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Agree with ZS. Get the wheel alignment/camber sorted with car fully loaded and then there shouldnt be an issue.

My rear tires on my mondeo did at least 40k and they werent even illegal but getting close so i changed all 4 last month. Prob could have got another 5k out of them easily and its lowered

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
The tyre place said they couldn't align it with the weight in the boot because it has to be sitting level or some nonsense.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Upgrade the springs? Estate ones might be beefier or you can get spring spacers in places like the LPG Caravan store. I bought some for a Vitara on eBay and made them fit my Vento. Great job too.

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
The tyre place said they couldn't align it with the weight in the boot because it has to be sitting level or some nonsense.

I've never seen an aligment place checking the boot to see what weight is in the car yet. 60 - 70kgs isn't even that much. It's about the weight of a dead hooker + a couple of spades.

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
I've never seen an aligment place checking the boot to see what weight is in the car yet. 60 - 70kgs isn't even that much. It's about the weight of a dead hooker + a couple of spades.

i like this comment! are you guessing or speaking from experience?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.