Oddessy car park fine

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gsmith

RMS Regular
Solicitors aren't God and are wrong all the time don't be so naive, solicitors are the ones who didn't get good enough grades to be a barrister:p

I suggest you go to the library and get a few law books out, all will be revealed....

Then also get a calculator out, to go to court they need a barrister which will cost them a minimum of 2-300 for 1 hour of their time. The likelihood is that if it eventually went to court(which it won't) they might get lucky and get awarded the judgement, so you have to pay them the £100 BUT the judge probably won't give a judgement with costs meaning that they spend about £400 to get £100.

As said before, it's a cash cow and it works because people like you are intimidated by a fancy letter with long words.
fancy words? long words?none of them i was in the wrong for taking 2 spaces so i paid up simple no letter either fine was left on window we shall see next time any of you guys get a fine see how quick you pay up(y)(y)

gsmith

RMS Regular
Read moneysavingexpert. They say to bin it and dont contact them at all. They are a private firm and the charge cannot be enforced. Scared women and gsmith is were they make there money at by empty threats.
empty threats if you read up on this abit more youl find people have been taken to court in this country and ended up with big fines to pay get your facts right if you get a fine you pay it at the end of the day i was in the wrong for taking 2 spaces:mad:

loud n low

RMS Regular
As above,bin it/wipe your hole with it and flush it,and then from now on park your car properly.

If the car park was "half empty"as you say/the photos suggest then you had no call abandoning it accross two bays anyway!!!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
What ticket?????????????

You had to get some sticky stuff off your window, but there was definitely no ticket there when you got back to your car!!!

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
oddessy car park people are ****s, i know someone that got a £100 fine for parking a wee bit out of the bay, never mind over 2. so **** them and ignore it

i parked over 4 bays once and they said **** all when i was still in the car so its clearly an empty threat

sacodetoro

RMS Regular
The carpark can sell this on to a collection firm who do this all the time and any court cost WILL be passed on plus admin fees. I'm not saying that this will happen but it CAN happen. Lifes all a gamble though. One thing to remember though is that if it gets out that people can get away without paying then the carpark owners will have to make an example of someone. So the question you have to ask yourself is.....do you feel lucky.....well do ya.:p

Debt recovery laws are very different in NI than the mainland, this is a contract between the user and the provider of the facilities, if you had any basic knowledge of contract law you would know that you don't have to pay all these charges/fines etc.

There is a clear distinction between this and a government body issued fine etc, these are laid down in statute which you can't argue with.

The "fine" issued by the car park is merely an attempt for the carpark to get remuneration for a minor breach, these are not legally binding and have to be disputed in court, no judge will award hundreds of pounds for parking in 2 spaces which cost the carpark at most £5

fancy words? long words?none of them i was in the wrong for taking 2 spaces so i paid up simple no letter either fine was left on window we shall see next time any of you guys get a fine see how quick you pay up(y)(y)

So you haven't legally disputed anything like this then....
I have.

empty threats if you read up on this abit more youl find people have been taken to court in this country and ended up with big fines to pay get your facts right if you get a fine you pay it at the end of the day i was in the wrong for taking 2 spaces:mad:

Read up on this? So where did you read up on it? I read Treitel

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
report to the police that a cars running round with your reg on it !!!

I've had a look at that photo and yes it's of a White Evo but assuming you have not taken the plate out with Photoshop then there's no photo of the plate due to the cameras flash. So simply state (if they ask) that it's not your car as you were no there that night.

MTKelly

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 5
Debt recovery laws are very different in NI than the mainland, this is a contract between the user and the provider of the facilities, if you had any basic knowledge of contract law you would know that you don't have to pay all these charges/fines etc.

There is a clear distinction between this and a government body issued fine etc, these are laid down in statute which you can't argue with.

The "fine" issued by the car park is merely an attempt for the carpark to get remuneration for a minor breach, these are not legally binding and have to be disputed in court, no judge will award hundreds of pounds for parking in 2 spaces which cost the carpark at most £5

Read up on this? So where did you read up on it? I read Treitel

What about this then from the NI books:

A creditor (the person owed the money) can make a claim against a debtor (the person who owes the money) in Court. A Court Judgment may then be made giving details of what is owed and to whom. If this debt is not paid within a reasonable time the creditor may instruct EJO to recover the debt on their behalf. Creditors must make an application to have their court order enforced using the appropriate application forms. The creditor must pay a fee to EJO up front but ultimately it will be added to the debt which the debtor must pay back.

I am no expert on the law as you seem to be but I would assume that there is a sign in the car park stating that by paying to use you are entering into a contract and must adhere to the rules set out on the sign which seem to say you must park between bays i.e. the bay between the one on the left and the one on the right. As most have said this is unlikely but it seems it could happen.

I havent read Treitel though so Im no expert.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
oddessy car park people are ****s, i know someone that got a £100 fine for parking a wee bit out of the bay, never mind over 2. so **** them and ignore it

i parked over 4 bays once and they said **** all when i was still in the car so its clearly an empty threat

You're so crazy.... I'm even scared to read your posts.....

simon4563

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman

i parked over 5 once and when they told me to move i got out a lay beside the car taking up another space:p

pablo

RMS Moderator
I landed a space shuttle there. The parking attendant ran off to get Mr Peterson.

I just said f**k ya and took a single ticket then went to see Tron 3D.

sacodetoro

RMS Regular
What about this then from the NI books:

A creditor (the person owed the money) can make a claim against a debtor (the person who owes the money) in Court. A Court Judgment may then be made giving details of what is owed and to whom. If this debt is not paid within a reasonable time the creditor may instruct EJO to recover the debt on their behalf. Creditors must make an application to have their court order enforced using the appropriate application forms. The creditor must pay a fee to EJO up front but ultimately it will be added to the debt which the debtor must pay back.

I am no expert on the law as you seem to be but I would assume that there is a sign in the car park stating that by paying to use you are entering into a contract and must adhere to the rules set out on the sign which seem to say you must park between bays i.e. the bay between the one on the left and the one on the right. As most have said this is unlikely but it seems it could happen.

I havent read Treitel though so Im no expert.

He isn't a creditor which is my point, if he went and parked in the car park then didn't pay then he would be and they would be able to pursue him using the above method to get their fee of £5 or whatever. That is pretty clear cut

That was the contract, car park provides the space he pays a certain rate for that space.
The £100 is an attempt to seek remuneration for what the car park see as a breach of contract. This is the part which isn't clear cut as there are a whole raft of things to consider for example the car park at most loose £5 from him parking over the line so is £100 an equitable "fine"? Then the court have to decide whether it was in fact a breach(what the contract says doesn't always matter) and once they do that they have to decide is it a minor or major etc and then the car park have to seek damages, damages are awarded on the basis of what the car park lost.
The "fine" is what you pay them so they don't legally dispute it, which they won't anyway because they won't be successful and will be too expensive.

Kealey

RMS Regular
I landed a space shuttle there. The parking attendant ran off to get Mr Peterson.

I just said f**k ya and took a single ticket then went to see Tron 3D.

Haha I parked my bicycle there once and got fined for not taking up enuf space! I dirtied my pants so that was another £30 quid for dry cleaning lol

BigP

RMS Regular
Drives
V10 Touareg
Suppose I could have put an end to the thread ages ago......

I own a security company and have both a SIA clamping licence and a 18348 collections licence and have even tendered for the odyssey arena a few times for clamping.

Fact: unless you have responded to them and admitted liability by way of even an enquiry or complaint, they cannot persue you! They can not enforce a fine on private land without clamping you.......and since they didn't get a clamping licence, they dam well know it!

Bin it fella, and don't think about it again......there is absolutely sweet FA that they can do......its private land and you paid to enter as required! I even know of a lady who got compensation from them because their sticker damaged her paintwork after parking in a disabled space..

They truely are a bunch of cocks in there

Andy M

RMS Regular
Solicitors aren't God and are wrong all the time don't be so naive, solicitors are the ones who didn't get good enough grades to be a barrister:p

I suggest you go to the library and get a few law books out, all will be revealed....

Then also get a calculator out, to go to court they need a barrister which will cost them a minimum of 2-300 for 1 hour of their time. The likelihood is that if it eventually went to court(which it won't) they might get lucky and get awarded the judgement, so you have to pay them the £100 BUT the judge probably won't give a judgement with costs meaning that they spend about £400 to get £100.

As said before, it's a cash cow and it works because people like you are intimidated by a fancy letter with long words.

Oh dear. Solicitors are ones who didnt get good enough grades to be Barristers? What planet are you on?

And how exactly do you know if a judge will award costs or not? I deal with district and county court judges on a regular basis and to try and predict what they will do is a dangerous business.

As for the fine, I'd ignore it for the time being.

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
If o2 dont follow through for an £850 outstanding bill then the oddessey are unlikely to ruin your life for £100

It would cost them more than that just to get the recovery company onto you.

Its a cash cow

Bin it and forget about it

x2,,,my favourites are the sorn fines, handy for burning.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d

You're wrong on so many counts here...

solicitors are the ones who didn't get good enough grades to be a barrister

- they're two completely separate courses. It's a choice which one you want to go for. Grades for entrance to the Law school are the same. Solicitors earn a steady wage if they work for a company, barristers are self employed, and rarely see returns for 3-4 years after qualification. Thats the reason quite a few barristers qualify, and then go retrain as solicitors a few yrs later.

- Good luck with that. Barrister spends an average of 6yrs qualifying... you can do all that in a couple hours in the library?

Then also get a calculator out, to go to court they need a barrister

- Solicitors dont always need a barrister to go to court, plenty of people are represented by their solicitor, in certain cases. Barristers are involved for serious matters/cases.

As BigP has already stated, the company has no legal route to enforce the fine.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
x2,,,my favourites are the sorn fines, handy for burning.

I had some bird on the phone from Coleraine giving it stacks about how I must pay for a replacement tax disc (which i had lost and was more than willing to pay for)

Went to Belfast to get the tax disc, get there, the wee lass behind the counter then realises the car was 1966 and I never paid for the tax disc in the first place, just hands me one over

Well chuffed. Couple more quid I never needed to give to someone due to my own stupidity :laughing:

I have had countless SORN fines, due to having cars here and in England whilst I was living there, and mixing and matching the MOT and tax off different addreses and things, the system just cant keep up. Needless to say I am yet to pay one

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
As somebody said above, people get scared into paying a fine when it comes with a big fancy letter. Then they really s**t when it comes back a week letter with a recovery centre heading. I think people would pay a fine for farting in public if the letter words like recovery centre fine, court and solicitor on it.

Nothing better than telling some t**t to stick his fine up his arse.

sacodetoro

RMS Regular
You're wrong on so many counts here...

- they're two completely separate courses. It's a choice which one you want to go for. Grades for entrance to the Law school are the same. Solicitors earn a steady wage if they work for a company, barristers are self employed, and rarely see returns for 3-4 years after qualification. Thats the reason quite a few barristers qualify, and then go retrain as solicitors a few yrs later.

- Good luck with that. Barrister spends an average of 6yrs qualifying... you can do all that in a couple hours in the library?

- Solicitors dont always need a barrister to go to court, plenty of people are represented by their solicitor, in certain cases. Barristers are involved for serious matters/cases.

As BigP has already stated, the company has no legal route to enforce the fine.

The solicitor v barrister thing was tongue in cheek and was not meant to be serious hence the :p they both do a lot more work than I and do a degree with no garauntee of a job in their field

I know all the work involved hence why I became an accountant instead lol.

I have however had my own solicitor give me bad advice/made mistakes etc, my point was that you the client direct them as to what you want to do and they give you advice on how likely you are to succeed.

The person above said his solicitor advised him to pay the fine, yet you confirm the car park have no legal right to enforce the fine, that is bad advice then is it not?

Who ever it is they go to court with, it still costs money and it isn't cheap. I know solictors can represent on some cases and in the next year the type of cases they can represent on is likely to increase to help reduce costs.

The few hours in the library is how I learned they have no legal right to enforce the fine , not gain more cumulative legal knowledge than a qualified professional who has studied hundreds of topics rather than the one specific topic discussed here.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.