Oil Leak after timing belt change - what's went wrong??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
So got timing belt, water pump, plugs oil and filter done on the fiesta last week. Smelled a bit of oil since, but put it down to a bit sitting on the top of the engine from where the mechanic must have spilled it putting it in.

Was much stronger this morning when I got out of the car at my first appointment whilst at work, so I looked underneath and the oil is dripping out of it at a fair rate and must have been for a while as there is a slick underneath back as far as nearly the back of the car with travelling along. By the time my half hour appointment was up here was between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup of oil on the ground so abandoned ship and had to use a colleagues car the rest of the morning!

Can't go back to the garage with it until Monday but wondering if anyone could give a steer as to what has been done wrong?? Car was bone dry before it went in, now it's fully incontinent lol! Not impressed at all! Looked at both the filter and the bung in the bottom of the sump but it's neither of those. Leak is coming from higher up.

Cheers

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Sump plug not in tight enough or too tight and he's cracked the sump, filter not in right or possibly as has happened to me once the rubber seal from the old filter stuck to the housing and I didn't see it and fitted new one on top, it sealed but not totally and spat oil out.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Could be anything from front crank seal to sump plug, oil filter or anything in between. Where is the oil coming from?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Could be a coincidence that the oil leak has just developed, or he may have left something loose, or over tightened something for that matter and caused damage.

Impossible to tell without seeing the vehicle or being the 1 that done the job, as you don't know what all he had removed that may not have been necessary.

wes

RMS Regular
Speak to your mechanic first keep an eye on oil level as said could be something simple

RWL

RMS Regular
OP
RWL
Drives
A6 Allroad
Other one just failed MOT on rear brake pipes. More work to do :worried: Not a great month so far!

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Just wondering was your water pump leaking? On a zetec engine it is not driven by the timing belt

RWL

RMS Regular
OP
RWL
Drives
A6 Allroad
Not water pump. Yeah, it's driven by the fan belt. Both belt and pump were changed at the same time also!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.