overboost help please +++sorted+++

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

oldskoolkool

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots of Supras
thought as much, your prob running a U8, check ebay for a Z4 as this is the best ecu to upgrade too, or failing that, check out polarperformance.co.uk for an upgraded ECU (they will socket and chip your own)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
Ecutek dont offer support for pre 97/98 cars.

Why not get the thing diagnosed properly, instead of listening to random ****e here, which will more than likely lead you to replacing all shorts of things unnecessarily ?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
some usefull advice there guys thanks ..had a well known scooby buff in the car tonite seems i dont have overboost just fuel related leaness between 4 and 5k a map should sort this ..anyone got a 95 wrx ecu spare

i have a 1999 standard ecu if thats any use and it can be ecutek'd if your planning goin down that route prob wont be compatible with a wrx though???

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
older wrx's seem ok on 97 ron mate never had any bother in his.....if it was a v5 or 6 sti id be running the octane booster or have it mapped for 97 ron, the P1's are renowned for ****tin themselves because they use the jdm ecu or map to get the 276bhp but use lower octane fuel over here!?.....best option for safety from det is a uk car and then tune it lol ;-)

oldskoolkool

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots of Supras
Pre-94 Scobbys DET like fook even on Super, thats why most owners upgrade to a Z4 ECU as you can run on super with no need for octane booster. The Early U8 ecu's had very very agressive timing and ran leaner.
TBH your best going over to scoobynet and going through the Owners/buyers Guides and FAQ's

Its also very very easy to check the diagnostics on a scooby
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Reading ECU Fault Codes
(go to part for classics)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
didnt know that about pre 94 scoobs!**** thing is u dont know its dettin until it might be too late, knock sensor might be a good job ferrett, the apexi has a knock detector too and monitors it on the commander, if it gets too high the engine warning light will flash so you know to back off. Nice safety feature, shouldnt be a problem unless you got a bad batch of fuel though.

oldskoolkool

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots of Supras
The Scoob crowd swear by the 'Knocklink' though its also referred to as paranoidlink
Theres usually a group buy on every other week on them.

But before you go spending, get the car checked out, make sure its 100%

And as said earlier, theres a lot of good information on scobbynet, worth taking the time to read up and get to know the classics in's outs and common problems, fixes and cures ;)

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
did a diagnostics check there results as follows
35 21 31 and the bonus ball 14 lol
anyone know wot they mean altho reset the ecu and its 100% clear drove it for 20 mins checked it again and its still clear so fingers crossed

gsportcars

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus ISupra
Get a wideband onto it first to confirm it is leaning out. Then consider a re-map. No point in re-mapping if there is still a seperate existing problem.

marky

RMS Regular
Drives
911 sc,focus rs
speak to micheal white or one of the boys at oma in glengormley thats your best bet chum..

oldskoolkool

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots of Supras
did a diagnostics check there results as follows
35 21 31 and the bonus ball 14 lol
anyone know wot they mean altho reset the ecu and its 100% clear drove it for 20 mins checked it again and its still clear so fingers crossed

31 - Thottle position sensor (could be wiring, sesnor not set correctly, or worn faulty TPS)

35 - Purge control solenoid valve (common problem wth solenoid going faulty) its used as part of the emmisions system to purge fuel vapours from the system via the charcoal canister in engine bay

21 - Engine coolant temp sensor - This isnt for the gauge, its used by the ecu for fueling etc etc, check wiring and connection, though a new sensor isnt that expensive. Usually a faulty coolant sensor causes the car to run quite rich

theres no code 14 on a Pre My99 Scooby

oldskoolkool

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots of Supras
14 - injector or circuit malfunction No.1 -

If this is applicable to the WRX then I would strongly advise to get the car in somewhere ASAP, could be a simple wiring problem or the injector is Fubared, Either way, i wouldnt be driving it. I know with certain problems people like to DIY them but in this case it needs to be check professionaly

I know they could be old codes, its very easy when someones working on a car to switch the ignition on when things like the MAF are disconnected, but with a faulty injector you cant take that risk of it being an old code.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
had some geezer simon in the car for a run he knows em inside out said it drove as well as his ra ..am confused now will drive it to work 2mo easy then do another check an see how it go,s then get it up to oma on tues .. any1 have ther number

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
there you go sir 07973830587 hope you get it sorted out soon.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
thanks burt
why would the inside of my car smell of petrol????

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
there could be a problem with the fuel pump, maybe a leak somewhere? check to see of the smell is worse around the back seats that would have me thinkin some sort of pump issue, could be why your leanin out aswell!?
id def be stayin off boost untill u get it diagnosed proper man, im sure u know that though lol

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
mine stinks of petrol occasionally, but its only because im near sure i never reseated the vapour seal cover properly.

ill sort it when i take the install out in a week or 2.

its definately not overboosting

oldskoolkool

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots of Supras
thanks burt
why would the inside of my car smell of petrol????

Check from tank to engine for leaks, check bay and check the evap canister hoses...

Basically the Evap system takes the fumes from the fuel tank and stores them in a canister in the engine bay. when the engine is under vacuum the fumes are allowed to enter the intake, and fresh air into the canister. If there is a fault, the fumes can be allowed to escape which can result in a strong smell of fuel.

As One of your Faults was Code 35, which is the solenoid that controls the Evap purging that May be your problem ^o)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.