Passat B5.5 - Steering angle sensor fault

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat
Have a warning light on the dash of my 2004 Passat which is tied in with the ESP system. The code which came back appears to be tied in with the steering angle sensor and has been an issue after I swapped back from an aftermarket steering wheel to the OEM item.

I’m led to believe that this can be recalibrated and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or if possible could assist in clearing the fault as the car has its MOT in the next few weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
You have probably damaged the slip ring or it isn’t set properly

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
If the slip ring spun round then it’ll throw up the code. They seem to be temperamental enough, as @sam_9n will tell you.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Hi @Geoff Campbell try the below. Worked for my 2006 Polo a couple of days ago for MOT.

C425C5E6-29B3-46D9-B49C-C09B3E456F33.jpeg

You will need VCDS for it to be recalibrated. I know that is Polo specific but try it and if it doesn’t work try Ross Tech website and search for your kodel

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
OP
Geoff Campbell
Drives
Passat
Just for closure as I hate threads which tail off and someone in a similar position comes along with the same fault and has no idea how the OP got sorted, a calibration resolved the issue I was having. Seems in my rush to swap the wheels over, the clock spring got turned a full 360 degrees out was causing a false reading which triggered the ABS light.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'm having the same issue with my Ford after removing and refitting the full steering column. Tells me it's the steering angle sensor but I can't get it to recalibrate (using Forscan) so maybe something similar where it went past 360 deg. Gives me something else to try. In my case its affecting airbag, ESP, active headlights, steering buttons, cruise, etc.
Thanks.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Just for closure as I hate threads which tail off and someone in a similar position comes along with the same fault and has no idea how the OP got sorted, a calibration resolved the issue I was having. Seems in my rush to swap the wheels over, the clock spring got turned a full 360 degrees out was causing a false reading which triggered the ABS light.

Easy fix then! Slip ring and sensors aren’t cheap.

Did that guide I sent work or was it different for your car?

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
OP
Geoff Campbell
Drives
Passat
Easy fix then! Slip ring and sensors aren’t cheap.

Did that guide I sent work or was it different for your car?

Truth be told I took it to someone local who had access to VCDS but the procedure he ran through was essentially as per the guide you mentioned so thank you for the tip!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.