phillip mccallen v 4 others

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

smb1

RMS Regular
Drives
golf gti
i wasn't gonna bother postin about this but im so pissed off,...about a month ago me an the brother in law went to start the bikes [ both zx10r's ] batterys were flat so because he was in lisburn he got two new batteries from mc callens,which turned out to be faulty so mc callen changed them for two others, same thing happened both bikes stopped after about 20 minutes,he then said our rectifiers 'blew' the batteries ,after saying the first batteries he gave us were faulty and went on to say he sent the whole batch back to the suppliers,i then spoke to keith [ module ] ,cradley heath ,Colchester Kawasaki and Derek Young [ who builds engines for bsb teams ] ALL say a faulty battery will damage a rectifier,when I said this to mc callen his words were ...'their wrong' ,WTF, and were left to foot the bill for new rectifiers,........... make your own minds up

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I'd put money on the first batteries pulling too much load on the R/R and frying it (not designed for it!) Where does that leave you both now? New batteries each + R/R?

smb1

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
golf gti
correct !,that's what the other fellas are sayin,yeah I got a new battery ,£80 an rectifier £205, bikes goin ok now,i just wanted mc callen to have a set of balls an say 'ok i'll sort it '...but washed his hands of it instead.....decent fella......NOT

smb1

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
golf gti
I don't do the facebook thing but the wife does so I reccon something will be goin on it aswell.....

smb1

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
golf gti
the bit that got me was him sayin everybody else was wrong.....jesus christ c'mon

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Give him a ring again and tell him your seeking legal advice as 4 main dealers have contradicted his opinion and your £285 down, and you'll have it on FB and every bike forum you can find. See what his attitude is like to that.

smb1

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
golf gti
yeah mate that's crossed my mind,only problem I mite have is getting the other dealers to put it in writing,they were reluctant to do that

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
He doesn't know that though and the FB thing.might move things forward. Tell him your prepared to be reasonable and give him the opportunity to rectify the issue.

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
The guy's a douchebag.

A few years ago I was looking to change my 636B1 and he had a GSXR I fancied. I asked about a trade in so he had a look at my bike and the conversation went like this -

PM "Is it an import?"

Me "don't think so and there's nothing in the reg documents to suggest it is"

PM "nah, definitely an import, black ones were never available in the UK"

Me "are you sure about that? it was originally sold by (I can't remember their name) in Bangor who were a Kawasaki franchise at the time"

PM "Aye, they brought loads of imports in. Has it been down the road?"

Me "not to my knowledge, why do you ask?"

PM "looks like it's been painted, that's the wrong shade of black for Kawasaki. Yeah, looks like the steering lock has snapped off (points to a mark on the lower yoke), it's definitely been crashed"

Me "well I had it HPI'd by my mate in Hursts before I bought it and it was clear"

PM "Hursts HPI will tell you nothing. I'm sure if I put it through our HPI it'll show it as a cat C or D. I'm sorry but we couldn't possibly sell that."

So off I trundled thinking to myself "what the **** have I ended up with and how am I going to shift it." I got home and had a look at it and the first thing I noticed was the mark on the yoke was clearly made by a cable rubbing on it, the tab for the steering lock was present and undamaged on the other side of the yoke. As for the paint, I then remembered when I bought the bike the first thing I bought for it was a genuine Kawasaki seat cowl and guess what? the metallic black paint was a perfect match with the rest of the bike. As for his HPI being superior to the one Hursts use, should I really believe that some motorcycle shop in NI has access to better information than the largest car dealer in the UK?

If he didn't want my bike then fair enough, just tell me you already have enough stock or whatever, but why tell a pack of lies and make a potential customer think he owns an absolute lemon? Very strange behaviour and I'll never set foot in his shop again.

genman

G
when i had a KTM they reported me to KTM for having dirty brakes at the 1st service...i told them to wise up ...reckon they did it as i slated the demo bike they lent me whilst doing the service.

This battery situation is a tough one....if its true the batteries were defective then they could have damaged the rectifiers but you'd have to be totally sure you didn't run the bikes with the original dead batteries etc as he could make a case that they did the damage.
Also most new batteries have a 1st charge process to follow......something like 1A for 10 hours before use in the bike..... was that the case with the McC new battery or did they say they were ready to use ?

genman

G
any time ive bought a battery the seller has asked if i wanted them to do the acid.. i always say no and charge it at home.... i have a general distrust of most who sell batteries that are alleged to be ready to use.. who knows how long its been on the shelf already filled.

smb1

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
golf gti
genman...bikes weren't started when we first went to them,we got new batteries in them before they were started,we were told the new batteries were charged an ready to go.....although im with 'driftnslide' about the quick charge

smb1

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
golf gti
he's a p***k no matter what way ya look at it

niallspence

RMS Regular
Drives
ST RS/FN2/GsxR
Should the qualified technicians that work there not be dealing with these sort of issues and recommending what's right and what's wrong, and not Philip himself?

I bought a bike from them last year and get it serviced through them and have been happy with all my dealings and would recommend them.

I'd see if you can persuade the others to put it in writing about how the rectifiers got wrecked. Or else just take the hit and vow to never return

smb1

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
golf gti
This wasn't an issue that the technicians could resolve , im sure there are people who have had good service from them.....definately not me though

genman

G
genman...bikes weren't started when we first went to them,we got new batteries in them before they were started,we were told the new batteries were charged an ready to go.....although im with 'driftnslide' about the quick charge
no battery that you walk in and buy is truly ready for use.....keep at them as they acknowledged the batteries they sold were defective

smb1

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
golf gti
He's standing his ground saying more or less tough **** its our problem, ive emailed kawasaki and motorcycle news telling them the story, hopefully they'll print the story

turbopresh

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaha r1
He’s a class a ballbag.. a faulty battery for sure could kill a rectifier. Function of the internal resistance it will and can put a significant current draw on the rectifier - a pre-filled battery that’s been sat on the shelf for about 19 years is about as good a way to kill one as any.. surprised it even had enough life in it to get them going.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
PM is his own worst enemy and sticks his nose into everything and has no issues in undermining his garage mech's as he knows better cause he once was a racer you know he knows everything about bikes :weary_face:
I dealt with him for years and blew a fortune in the place and he let me down a bucket full. Gutted does not even come into it. I am not bitter just very disappointed in how i was treated and will never darken his doors again. As the saying goes once bitten ... twice shy.

i would be extremely wary about the servicing carried out on your bike based on my experiences with him; i found out some serious issues with my last bike from him and it never missed a service from him

reading this comes as no surprise cause nothing is ever his fault and everyone else's ... i hope you get sorted but very much doubt you will

Should the qualified technicians that work there not be dealing with these sort of issues and recommending what's right and what's wrong, and not Philip himself?

I bought a bike from them last year and get it serviced through them and have been happy with all my dealings and would recommend them.

I'd see if you can persuade the others to put it in writing about how the rectifiers got wrecked. Or else just take the hit and vow to never return

smb1

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
golf gti
the wife posted the story on his facebook page...and he removed it !!,maybe ya can only post positive comments about how great his place is...I don't care how great he is or how many tt's he won in my opinion he's an a*shole with no integrity....or balls to admit when hes wrong

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
he may have rights in relation to posts but it may be best posting on the reviews ... i dont think he can delete reviews

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.