Polishing alloys (problem)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
I'm in the process of polishing a set of teardrop alloys for the Golf at the minute. But a couple of the rims are quite porous/pitted. Is there such a thing as an aluminium filler that can be polished? Or am I expecting a bit much? I've finished one of the rims and have to say it looks mighty well

metro1800

RMS Regular
OP
metro1800
Drives
405 Mi16
Max said:
i would imagine u would just rub deeper till it disppears?

Already tried that, and got rid of some of it, but alot of it is quite deep. Its a shame cos I don't want to go for the usual BBS/deep dish on the Golf, and polished teardrops are a bit different
This is what I was aiming for....

metro1800

RMS Regular
OP
metro1800
Drives
405 Mi16
Graham said:
shot blasing then polishing maybe ?

They are already semi-polished (bought them from veedubboy), and to be honest I don't think blasting would remove it. I might just paint them and keep as a spare set

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
i agree with maxwel, get a polishing bit for the end of the drill ryan and see i'm sure theres summit in yer work you could borrow

metro1800

RMS Regular
OP
metro1800
Drives
405 Mi16
Max said:
do they come with metal centre caps too? Keep rubbin till they disappear, it'll be worth it :p

Aye, alloy centres as well. To be honest I'm a bit fed up rubbing at them! This polishing alloys lark is harder than it seems:sob:

Pocket_rocket

id save yourself loads of hassle and paint em. imo polished alloys look aweful, not as bad as plastic/chrome ones but damn near it. plus your gonna have to keep cleaning the buggers to stop the alloy oxidising and looking crap.
just my opinion but id paint em nice and shiny silver with some sparkles added to it.

metro1800

RMS Regular
OP
metro1800
Drives
405 Mi16
Pocket_rocket said:
id save yourself loads of hassle and paint em. imo polished alloys look aweful, not as bad as plastic/chrome ones but damn near it. plus your gonna have to keep cleaning the buggers to stop the alloy oxidising and looking crap.
just my opinion but id paint em nice and shiny silver with some sparkles added to it.

It was just to try summit different though. Never saw these polished before. Tried one on there to see what it was like
pict00115wf.jpg

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
if there really badly pitted it wont polish out, i might even get worse the deeper in you go. If its really annoying you take them and get them diamond cut on a lathe it should remove ALL imperfections and leave them with a nice shiney finish. an extreme option is to get a spot of weld put on it and grind it down.

S Hessy

fill it with liquard metal m8 it will polish up i done a few sets with it its only abt a £5 4 the tube worth a try

metro1800

RMS Regular
OP
metro1800
Drives
405 Mi16
S Hessy said:
fill it with liquard metal m8 it will polish up i done a few sets with it its only abt a £5 4 the tube worth a try

JB Weld or the like?

rsnutter

R
You could get them diamond cut and laquered as well - more expensive, but should take out the pitting and will give a durable finish.

metro1800

RMS Regular
OP
metro1800
Drives
405 Mi16
rsnutter said:
You could get them diamond cut and laquered as well - more expensive, but should take out the pitting and will give a durable finish.

For all they're worth I don't think it'd be worth it. Really don't know what to do now. I've polished one, painted another one silver, and now I've got my eye on a set of Ronal R10's. Damned decisions:worried:

rsnutter

R
know what you mean mate, its not worth doing unless you value the wheels quite highly. Although i do like the look you are going for, its quite a bit different from the norm!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.