Polishing scratches out using a rotary (not a pc)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

brendy

RMS Regular
This week I have mostly been buying a silverline car polisher and bought some g3 and buffing sponges.
I did a searchy here and on detailing world and decided to give it a go carefully at first.
The silverline has 6 speed settings and a lot in between, it has a soft start and still only cost 35 quid! the potions and lotions that i bought for it actually cost nearly as much as the unit itself.
anyway, using g3, lots of water and a slowish speed i turned this set of ugly neighbours cats skidmarks from this
PICT5367Small.jpg

to this, apologies on the pic it was taken today (polished and cut the scratches out yesterday but lost daylight in the process)
PICT5373Small.jpg

Ive got to say, this polisher, seems to be a lot cheaper than the pc, needs less bits and pieces to get it to work and works fine.
Anyone else have one?

brendy

RMS Regular
OP
brendy
if you are ever in belfast or bangor, bangor autospares sells the polisher and buffing heads and woodstock motorstore sells them also on the ravenhill rd as I said well under 40 quid, you can ask for the suitable sponge heads, ie compound, polish etc.
basically give the car a good wash first, I dried mine off then got to work with the g3 paste and plenty of water to stop it overheating the paint and being too abrasive, theres a few fellas on here who can recommend polish and sealers etc.
Im crap at polishing etc so Ive taken it easy as rotary polishers can be devastating in the wrong hands, its not a case of turn it up to full speed to do a quicker job, itll rip the paint of the panel so gently does it.

www.detailingworld.com has a great forum and the silverline polisher that I bought comes recommended out of most of the cheaper rotary's.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Its good to see that a complete novice can successfully use a rotary. Looks well mate!

brendy

RMS Regular
OP
brendy
bingo mate only that is 15 quid plus postage more expensive than buying it locally.
One thing I learned yesterday though, dont use too much g3 and water in one go as it goes EVERYWHERE!

baz, I bought an autoglym sponge (white softest one) its only 6 inches though so I had to be careful with the edges.
I also saw through getting rid of those huuge scratches how easily you could rip too much paint off if you went to hard and fast at it.

brendy

RMS Regular
OP
brendy
Think he does, as said above Im a total novice but have easily found out how to get rid of the more serious swirl marks, its all about taking time and using the right products and harshness of sponge rotary heads in the right order.
Im not going to turn into a mad psyco detailer like lenny (you know you are fella!) but its nice to see the car sparkle for a change rather than just look cleanish.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Boydie said:
do you mean swirls?? :confounded:

You ever looked at a badly swirled car and noticed how they look like a spidersweb? Thats what he means :grinning:

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
holy **** i didnt think it was possible to get rid of scratches without a portlecable and poorboys .....is this a setup brendy? theres no way you could have done it without them

brendy

RMS Regular
OP
brendy
believe it baby. A rotary polisher can actually be better as its more abrasive if you want it to be, plus plenty of g3 and water and you see the scratches really quickly level out.

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
brendy said:
believe it baby. A rotary polisher can actually be better as its more abrasive if you want it to be, plus plenty of g3 and water and you see the scratches really quickly level out.

dam rite ...dont see the point in going to the effort of a portlecable ...a buff and some compound is the way forward as long as its used properly...guess thats why every bodyshop in the country use a good buff and compoud and not poorboys and portlecables(y)

Dee

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra GSI/Corol
Looks like a gud job brendy(y) I agree i think the buff is the best way when its done rite:cool:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.