Porsche 718 Spyder

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Hi Guys,

Having had the 991 GT3 a smidge over 3 years…. I started to look around a bit… which is always dangerous!!

Really had no plans to sell this… but recently figured life is short, and why not try new things…

The only thing I missed with the GT3 was dropping a roof… so decided replacement had to be a fun nice steering rag top.

Contemplated 458 spider…. But in reality more money than I want to spend…. And not sure it suits my use…. Would be a nightmare on the roads in Scotland I love.

Was very very seriously contemplating a mac 570, and actually had started to convince myself they were reliable… and Thorney motorsport have a partner in Galway.. so servicing possible in Ireland and they can do warranty.. and Thorney UK do SOR packages… as I was also worried about resale. In the end the decision was more straightforward… they are sooo wide!!! And I thought the 991 was arguably a bit fat for the roads I like.

I possibly don’t have the balls for either purchase, and truth be told… I HATE hassle, and get enough of that with the racecars…. So.. played it safe!!

I fancied the spyder platform before I bought GT3… but felt I just had to do the GT3 thing.

Zero regrets… did NC500 and also military road… and other favourites on a couple of Scotland trips… done a fab trip to spa (and got on track!!) and last Sep did a load of the alpine passes…. Highlights being Furka and Stelvio.

Also enjoyed a few track days…. Was just fab taking friends and family out in such a fab car where you can properly drive it!! The car has been faultless. Bought with 3k miles. Now traded in with 12k miles

So… the new baby.

The 718 is the latest (last) generation of the spyder (ICE anyway) and is the exact same car underneath as the GT4 (unlike previous generations) with that…. The Spyder is now actually officially in the GT family…. Albeit to me it’s not a proper GT product as it doesn’t have a GT engine (like the new spyder RS)

It’s got the front subframe, suspension… brakes etc as the GT3… and obv is mid engine. Motor is from current generation 911 (3.0) with the turbos ripped off.. and bored out to 4.0.

I just figured it’s the last n/a roadster porsche will make…. I also opted for manual.. I loved PDK in GT3, but fancied getting more involved in this. They have auto blip (switchable) on downshift which is just fab.

Car itself……

2023, GT Silver….. with spyder classic pack (Bordeaux red roof/dash top/seat bits etc) heated seats, burmester audio (unreal) heated steering wheel.. top of the range lights. Reverse camera (fab coming from GT3 with nothing!) it’s a very classic look.. and I love it!!

Is May ‘23 with…… 35 miles.

Bloke is one of the OPC (Glasgow) centres top customers, and buys everything/anything for his collection… has Mac/fez and loads of pork…

Handover yesterday was fabulous experience…. Driving it right out of showroom was brill.

Initia impressions yesterday driving home…. Just blown away… gearbox is like a rifle action….. so nice!!! Handling is sublime…. It’s just gorgeous…. Totally in love

Weather can now warm up anytime!!

IMG_5402.jpeg
IMG_5407.jpeg
IMG_5410.jpeg
IMG_5414.jpeg
IMG_5408.jpeg
IMG_5334.jpeg
IMG_5335.jpeg
IMG_5329.jpeg
IMG_5330.jpeg
IMG_5333.jpeg

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Absolutely gorgeous. I love the look of those Spyders. Does it not feel like a bit of a step down (driving experience wise) from a 991 GT3 though?

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Absolutely gorgeous. I love the look of those Spyders. Does it not feel like a bit of a step down (driving experience wise) from a 991 GT3 though?

Obv I am in honeymoon period Gary… but so far…… not at all!! Clearly it lacks the noise of a proper GT engine, and for sure I will miss that…… but…. With that equals a totally different driving experience.

For me the key aspect of the GT3 was noise, and it was immense… but if I didn’t have it at 9k at least a couple of times every drive, it felt like a complete waste of time, petrol and miles!!

I wasn’t over 5.5k revs yesterday as I’m trying to be careful given miles etc. but I really enjoyed the B road blasts I had… never felt I was missing the top end zing, albeit I can wait to have this at red line too!! Also this is much much easier to place on a B road.. it’s narrower, shorter (obv) and the platform ‘feels’ like it rotates quicker… but again… that maybe honeymoon talk.

For sure it won’t be the spectacle the GT3 was on track…. But with 2 race/track cars… the GT3 wasn’t needed for those duties, albeit bloody good fun… and I suspect this will be very entertaining on track too.

Will get ya out for a run…..

ahannigan

RMS Regular
Drives
Bullitt
Lovely! Had never seen one of these until Goodwood where there was a line of them down by Porsche's setup. Really liked them, the way the hood clips back is class.
Auto rev matching really makes a manual a joy to drive, the Bullitt had it and it made the many roundabouts here lovely to dive in and out of.
Enjoy! Roll on the good weather.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Absolutely stunning! Can't wait to see it in the flesh. Health to enjoy many trips in it!!

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6

I love this.. Something as small as this for someone who might be having a sh1t time of it really would pick them up.

The shape of this from behind is very like the Carrera GT such a lovely looking car. I am sure there are things you will miss from the GT3 but I think this is an awesome replacement. Like you mentioned you where not using the GT3 to it`s full potential on the Road so it begs the question as to why hold on to it if your not making the most out of it.

All you need now is a JCR exhaust and your done lol.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
That is unreal, perfect spec/colour combo. Silver on silver is such an understated combo imo. Red roof and interior harks back to the Boxster concept, very cool.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Obv I am in honeymoon period Gary… but so far…… not at all!! Clearly it lacks the noise of a proper GT engine, and for sure I will miss that…… but…. With that equals a totally different driving experience.

For me the key aspect of the GT3 was noise, and it was immense… but if I didn’t have it at 9k at least a couple of times every drive, it felt like a complete waste of time, petrol and miles!!

I wasn’t over 5.5k revs yesterday as I’m trying to be careful given miles etc. but I really enjoyed the B road blasts I had… never felt I was missing the top end zing, albeit I can wait to have this at red line too!! Also this is much much easier to place on a B road.. it’s narrower, shorter (obv) and the platform ‘feels’ like it rotates quicker… but again… that maybe honeymoon talk.

For sure it won’t be the spectacle the GT3 was on track…. But with 2 race/track cars… the GT3 wasn’t needed for those duties, albeit bloody good fun… and I suspect this will be very entertaining on track too.

Very fair points, very well made! Would absolutely love a run! You have my details.... :p

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Lovely as said already mate, can't wait to get a look round it! Ideal for the road trips like you say!

Can't believe you had the GT3 3 years already!

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I love this.. Something as small as this for someone who might be having a sh1t time of it really would pick them up.

The shape of this from behind is very like the Carrera GT such a lovely looking car. I am sure there are things you will miss from the GT3 but I think this is an awesome replacement. Like you mentioned you where not using the GT3 to it`s full potential on the Road so it begs the question as to why hold on to it if your not making the most out of it.

All you need now is a JCR exhaust and your done lol.

exactly this !!! i have been researching exhausts 24/7 for the past 2 weeks to be fair :p JCR are the most expensive.... but i gather they do sound the 'best' I actually had the offer of a full system - manifold, over axle pipes and back box... (even a lightened flywheel) but i think a back box would be a tad better to maintain some dignity with Pork warranty !!
Thanks for all the positive comments guys… was a very…. Very tough decsion to part with the GT3 as it was simply a dream purchase and a dream car… and to get to drive it around Spa…. (Thanks for the pace notes @PaulYDP ) and then the epic alpine passes…. I feel very lucky indeed.

So far I am genuinely blown away by this tbing, and ZERO regrets on manual… the box is soooo nice to use!!! Just out for a blast earlier having given her a bath after yesterdays ‘adventures’

IMG_5449.jpeg
IMG_5450.jpeg

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
Superb, I love the speedster style Porsches. The Car Guys on YouTube have/had one and made a few very nice mods. Health to drive

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I think Boxster Spyders are beautiful from the first one to this and you just don't see them about. Silver with a red roof is a classic look 😎

You've also got a heated steering wheel now, hard to go back from that 😆

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I think Boxster Spyders are beautiful from the first one to this and you just don't see them about. Silver with a red roof is a classic look 😎

You've also got a heated steering wheel now, hard to go back from that 😆
Getting old Smithers!!!!

Started with going to heated gloves on the motorbikes…. And now it’s heated steering wheels on feckin convertible beetles

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Very nice @gixermark health to enjoy sir, she is a worthy replacement I'd say and a totally different driving experience. Roll on the better weather, looks like it will be a lot of fun! :cool:(y)

Boksic

RMS Regular
Beautiful.
I'm sure you're neighbours wonder why the hell you need a jack with you to wash the car 😂
A mate uses one of those things you attach to the pressure washer and wheel it in under the car and it blasts upwards, seems a good job although obviously you can't see anything.

He uses it on a Daihatsu Fourtrak all the same, its some wagon, maybe a bit OTT for a beetle as you say!

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Beautiful.
I'm sure you're neighbours wonder why the hell you need a jack with you to wash the car 😂
A mate uses one of those things you attach to the pressure washer and wheel it in under the car and it blasts upwards, seems a good job although obviously you can't see anything.

He uses it on a Daihatsu Fourtrak all the same, its some wagon, maybe a bit OTT for a beetle as you say!

One of those things would be handy….. but part of me wanted a peak under it too…

But yea, I’d say neighbours are just wtf is he at now 🤦‍♂️

It’s nice having a car you can just pop the wheels off easy too…. Centre locks look good, but not exactly handy.