NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
Class work Ned.
Thanks
Great work mate, will be like a new car when you're done!

May need some advice on dropping the engine out of mine in a few months time to do some preventative maintenance. Looks straightforward enough going by YouTube videos and online guides. You find it easy enough?
Yeah it’s very straightforward. I had the added bonus of having the rear subframes out so I had very good access.
ive spent more time at random smaller jobs that are taking 3 times longer.
sure get the lockdown over and see how we go.
what’s on the list?

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Thanks

Yeah it’s very straightforward. I had the added bonus of having the rear subframes out so I had very good access.
ive spent more time at random smaller jobs that are taking 3 times longer.
sure get the lockdown over and see how we go.
what’s on the list?

Ah that’s good to know! Nothing major for me really, much the same as yourself and get all the bushes done, tidy up subframes, and a general spruce up. Then engine out to do ”that” brake line over the top, new AOS and RMS/IMS check and replace if needed. LWFW probably go on also.

Be a winter job for me I think as hopefully want to get driving it more first!

Been following your Instagram closely for tips lol

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
Ah that’s good to know! Nothing major for me really, much the same as yourself and get all the bushes done, tidy up subframes, and a general spruce up. Then engine out to do ”that” brake line over the top, new AOS and RMS/IMS check and replace if needed. LWFW probably go on also.

Be a winter job for me I think as hopefully want to get driving it more first!

Been following your Instagram closely for tips lol
Good man. I’d definitely recommend the small things I did like cleaning the injectors. Can’t comment on the flywheel as it’s a real area for debate on the porsche forums. It’s gona be a while before I get to drive it. It’s definitely sharper on the throttle though.
I could supply you the gt3 solid subframe mounts at the right money. I’ll have pictures and details on those up on my instagram in the next few days.
I can definitely help you out with anything you need though so don’t be afraid to shout.

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
A bit of an update. Things on the Porsche front have slowed since going back to work after being on furlough.
The latest part of the journey is the paint. I have decided to take a go at it myself and went for a colour change. The painting game is not as easy as it looks but it’s a learning curve.
I had to paint one side at a time as I just don’t have the space to get round it.

99F94E56-1FE7-4786-8853-5F75C039DE15.jpeg
6354B12A-4E97-4FBA-A491-46F38B159D52.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

pablo

RMS Moderator
A bit of an update. Things on the Porsche front have slowed since going back to work after being on furlough.
The latest part of the journey is the paint. I have decided to take a go at it myself and went for a colour change. The painting game is not as easy as it looks but it’s a learning curve.
I had to paint one side at a time as I just don’t have the space to get round it.

not a lot of room to work there dude!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

I admire your determination, but.....how could you ever get a decent finish when you don’t even have enough distance to get a gun between the car and the wall?! 😮

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
I admire your determination, but.....how could you ever get a decent finish when you don’t even have enough distance to get a gun between the car and the wall?! 😮

It’s not easy. That’s fresh paint and has to be flatted back in that picture. I’ll be the first to say that it’s far from perfect but it’s far from 3 or 4 grand as well.

This car is being built to be used and not a garage queen. I’ve been down that road where you don’t want to use it so it’ll not get dirty or scratched.

Obviously I’d like it nice but I’m past the point of wanting something shiny. I want something I can use

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I get that 100% Nigel, I've sold cars previously for the same reason, you're too scared of getting a chip or a dent!

Some 3M Trizac discs and it'll be nice and smooth don't worry :grinning:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Good job. Think you know a chap I work with he mentioned this project and maybe having him paint it at a point ? Marty?

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
Good job. Think you know a chap I work with he mentioned this project and maybe having him paint it at a point ? Marty?
Yip. Marty’s an old friend of mine and called up a. few weeks ago to give me some guidance as I was having some issues.
Jesus H no half measures there Ned!!

Nothin else for it. Just had to get stuck in

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Yip. Marty’s an old friend of mine and called up a. few weeks ago to give me some guidance as I was having some issues.

Nothin else for it. Just had to get stuck in
I love your work ethic.

I wish i had painted my mk2. Yes krcrc did an outstanding job but it was so good i was scared to go near it. Then i sold it

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
I love your work ethic.

I wish i had painted my mk2. Yes krcrc did an outstanding job but it was so good i was scared to go near it. Then i sold it

Not sure I’ll have the outstanding job.lol.
The main reason I wanted to paint it myself was because I had did everything so far myself. There’s hundreds of hours of labour in this thing that’ll never be seen.

Only thing is it’s good for a few years now. So long as I don’t sell it

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
Haven’t been on here in ages and haven’t any progress on the car in a long time. The paint was a nightmare so it’s getting sorted with another new colour choice. Some jobs done but really very little. I’m hoping to get my finger out shortly.

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
Thinking about selling this as I’ve just lost all interest in it. Would anyone be interested?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Haven't noticed this thread before but that's a great project, be a shame not to get it finished. Jethro Bovingdon (of Evo fame) has done a ton of work to his 996 lately also and seeing the finished article really makes the whole thing seem worthwhile

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
I seem to be getting much more interest than I thought. If I can get a chance later tonight I’ll go through some of the spec and condition as I just don’t have time to run through it individually. And hopefully some pictures too

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
This should be a basic run down of what’s done to the car but only briefly. The car needs the paint sorted and put back together. Some small jobs needed as with building anything but nothing compared to what’s done.

This car was never meant to be a project. It was bought as a weekend toy but it turned into a nightmare when one small job led to another.

Attachments

• IMG_4807.jpeg
    IMG_4807.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4808.jpeg
    IMG_4808.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4809.jpeg
    IMG_4809.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 60

NedHan79

RMS Regular
OP
NedHan79
Drives
clio dci
Sorry for the crap pictures. If anyone is genuinely wanting to see it I can get it out. Not a problem. I’m just tied up with the kids atm. All brackets for the taco wing etc all present. Just have it removable for painting. Some nice parts, carbon fibre tequipment hand brake for example. These are eye watering expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_4810.jpeg
    IMG_4810.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4812.jpeg
    IMG_4812.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4813.jpeg
    IMG_4813.jpeg