Porter Cable / G220 Usage

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

samb

RMS Regular
Been toying with buying one of these (probably the G220) for a while but just wondered how often those folks that have already made the purchase make use of them.

Are they more a kind of couple of times a year thing or do folks use them every time they go near the car with polish/wax?

Cheers folks,
Sam

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
there is no need to use one on A car more than a couple of times a year, unless your anal

most who have them, would be doing other cars aswell

Ghost

RMS Regular
What sort of price are we talking? And are they easy to tear lumps out of the paint?

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
i use mine every 3 months or so to do the swirl removal and apply the glaze....then top up my wax buy hand. i'd say if you were really in to it and had a good sized shed to work in you could use it every week....

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
for the price pf one you would be better getting a Paintwork correction and just maintainimg it well after that. Once its corrected, provided you maintain it properly, it will not need corrected for a while maybe a year or more depending on certain factors

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
A PC doesnt rotate in a circle but in a random orbit, makes alot of vibrations and is very slow. A rotary is just what the name suggests lol

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
one spins in pure circles(rotary) the g220 spins in a circle but then the head is spinning in an eccentric circle, apparently mimicking hand movements only a few thousand times faster! i have read of people using these and saying they are not as quick as a rotary. but as large_pete says, its easier to go wrong with a rotary, but you need to be a complete muppet

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
rotary means you can burn big holes in the paint if your not careful!!!! the pc will stop spinning if you lean to hard on it and is less likely to do damage

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
over a different period of time, and depending on how much practice...yes

Ghost

RMS Regular
Hmmmmm. How can the rotary mess the paint up? basically leaning to heavy?

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
im gonna be cheeky and say search lol but leanin too heavy in one place, buff too fast, harsh polish etc

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
to be honest baxter, if you have never used one and since you have had the car recently detailed , there is more harm in you doing more damage than good. The paint will already be corrected as much as possible and with no experience you will risk putting defects into it. Just maintain it well and if it needs a little top up get it done agian as it wont cost much second time round??

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f8EQNVxxbw&feature=related[/ame]

i know it relates to wet sanding but it shows a good amount of info about a rotary and alot about megs polishes and compounds.. maybe something to look at.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Hmmm yeah ......Just considered one for family cars etc...

Its not something you can just pick up and do, its a skill that takes years of patience and practice (y) If you do get one just be careful and dont expect fantastic results immeadiatly.

Also don't take what you read in the guides etc as gospel, spend a day with a pro and get a feel for it, will give you more confidence and a better understanding of how to use it

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
i picked it up on detailing world, you should watch all five of them, very interesting, they pop up once one has finished you know how it works, it definitly made my decision between a rotary and the da..

brisa

RMS Regular
Drives
eunos roadster \
With the rotary/RO thing you also have to factor in what kind of finish someone new to it is likely to achieve. RO is much easier to get a nice LSP ready finish for a newb where as same said person may not burn through the paint but would have holograms visible under lights. I use both, I see the need for both if your at it all the time but prefer the rotary myself. If your only doing it once in a while, go for a PC/G220 as the finish will be better for someone new and also you don't really need it to be that quick.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
i picked it up on detailing world, you should watch all five of them, very interesting, they pop up once one has finished you know how it works, it definitly made my decision between a rotary and the da..

just finished watching them all, have bookmarked it shall watch again!

some brilliant tips in it, and a basic guide on how not to **** up your car with a rotary!

samb

RMS Regular
OP
samb
for the price pf one you would be better getting a Paintwork correction and just maintainimg it well after that. Once its corrected, provided you maintain it properly, it will not need corrected for a while maybe a year or more depending on certain factors

Cheers Pete, exactly what I was thinking really, i.e. probably only use it a couple of times a year then do the rest by hand. Might as well then just get a full proper detail done by the likes of yourself or the other detailers at start of the "decent weather" then keep it topped up by hand as I'd be doing anyway.

Thanks all,
Sam

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.