Porter Cable results (56k beware)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Porter cable arrived last week and after a while looking for a cheap transformer finally got to use it yesterday.
First used in on my silver 106 gti...possibly the most unrewarding colour ever especially as mine is kept quite clean so I'll keep the pics scarce but it looks alot better in real life, a real deep shine and reflection off it.
Before:
After:
Before (after washing):
After:

Then moved on to a bigger challenge, my mum's 2 year old polo which has been cleaned about 4 times ever with what looks like being a brick. Also covered in scuffs and scratches which I went on to remove.
Before (after washing):

After:

So all in all I'm really happy with the results, any one thinking of purchasing one should really go ahead and do it, all is needed is a bit of patience and a fair bit of money to buy all the pruck!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
results are very good

is this your first experience with the PC?

how much and where did you get it from??

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
Boydie said:
results are very good

is this your first experience with the PC?

how much and where did you get it from??
Cheers, yeh first time I's ever used the PC but you can't really go wrong with it, it's not like a rotary I once used where I was terrified of burning the paint/ rubbing through.
No Idea about total cost including polishes and stuff, just the usual £115 from autopia and got the transformer for a builders merchant over here.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
sweet - so its not hard to get used to?

im also worried about putting holes through the paint if i get one

definately worth getting one?

if i get it ive 4 cars to do lol

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
Yeh get one bought if you have 4 cars to do, it would make more sense just to pay to have it done if you only have one to do. Unless you do something very daft I ca't see how you'd do through, unless you were trying to or something!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
you cannot put holes in paint using the PC as it's orbital as opposed to rotary boydie.

great results hutchy, well done lad - keep it up - with practice you keep getting better and better

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
Big Pimp said:
you cannot put holes in paint using the PC as it's orbital as opposed to rotary boydie.

great results hutchy, well done lad - keep it up - with practice you keep getting better and better
Cheers mate, That's what I was getting at, it would be pretty hard to do accidentally but still, its abrasive, so sit there long enough on the same spot....

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
not really, cos i done my car using slow cut technique, which is putting a lot of pressure on and only moving approx 1" per couple of seconds, and no probs whatsoever

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
Was that with cutting compound and a yellow pad tho and at speed 6? Getting a bit off track here, the main point is, you cant really go through the paint without trying.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
On the 106 I used Poorboys SSR 2.5 then followed by PB SSR 1 then sealed and waxed after.
On the polo, the paint was so bloody hard I only used the 2.5 it was the only thing I had with enough cut to do anything so afterwards just hand polished sealed waxed etc

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
Dare say it would but Im hoping for a bit of durability from it with autumn coming etc, used Poorboys EX-P sealent

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Amos has got a massive selection of the stuff including PC's!! Look in the trade section!! ;)

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Just about to go and try it now! Will let you know how I get on!

Martyn

RMS Regular
Looks brilliant m8!!!

Your getting professional results by putting in a little off your own time!

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
lenny26 said:
Looks brilliant m8!!!

Your getting professional results by putting in a little off your own time!
Cheers- appreciate it. With a bit of time and patience I'm sure pretty much anyone could achieve similar. Im on the look out for black or red cars now to do, see what I can achieve.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
PC definitely isnt hard to do, its just about learning how much pressure to apply and how long to work it into the paint till the polish breaks down. but yep get yourself some black and red cars to do, great for getting the experience on.

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Id a brilliant transformation on a black car on my first go, sadly I thought I would be cool doing it with the windows down and the radio on.....I mustve started it away from the paintwork as I pebble dashed the interior lol

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
B A Baracus said:
Id a brilliant transformation on a black car on my first go, sadly I thought I would be cool doing it with the windows down and the radio on.....I mustve started it away from the paintwork as I pebble dashed the interior lol

been there, done that mate!!! :oops:

brisa

RMS Regular
Drives
eunos roadster \
Finally got round to PCing my own car (106 too) and the job it done on the Pug paint was amazing. Done my dad's skoda and again a great job but took a good bit longer, dark green on the skoda came up well.

Great results on your cars there.

tim

RMS Regular
B A Baracus said:
If this is happening your using waaay to much polish, your pad shouldnt be that wet. You'll find better results if you spread the polish alot thinner.

remember, less is more(y)

Ruth

RMS Regular
or he may have just not spread the polish at a lower speed, has happened me the odd time hittin it at speed 6 first go by accident

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.