Private plate transfer while selling cars advice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Crispy

RMS Member
Drives
2006 Astra
Hi All,

I'd appreciate some advice on the following scenario, trying to clarify things before taking action to keep it as simple as possible.

I am the registered keeper of Vehicle A which has a private plate. The tax expires 31st December 16. I have just bought another vehicle which I shall be picking up this week and as such, will not be using Vehicle A beyond 31st December 16.

I plan to sell Vehicle A privately. However, I want to transfer the private plate to another family members car, Vehicle B.

I so far understand I can fill out a V317 form to transfer the plate from A to B. In that process A should then be issued a new registration. Should I continue to tax A into January with the new registration, or should I declare a SORN for it? It will not be used again.

Appreciate any advice
Thanks

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Just stick the reg on retention asap and then transfer to new.car at leisure, could.even be done online

Crispy

RMS Member
OP
C
Drives
2006 Astra
Cheers Graham, though I'm no intention of keeping the plate on my vehicle of use. The family member can have it, they've more interest in it than I do!

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
As Graham says just do all online and transfer across to family members vehicle now.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
The only ballix online is that if either car has had a break.in their tax in the last 5 yrs the system wont process and you have to do.it the old paper way, happened to me with the skoda as it was on sorn at some point before my ownership

Crispy

RMS Member
OP
C
Drives
2006 Astra
Yea I've tried to do it online but it says I'll need to do it by post, bugger.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
The online system is useless, if that car was out of tax at any time regardless if you owned it or not at the time then it won't let you transfer online.

What is the plate, out of interest?

Crispy

RMS Member
OP
C
Drives
2006 Astra
Lol, giving it back to the brother as I have no interest.

I was also trying to tax Vehicle A by direct debit for January since unlikely to be sold until then, but even the stupid website won't allow me to do that with the Reminder letter reference number. Load of crap.

Crispy

RMS Member
OP
C
Drives
2006 Astra
On a similar note, Vehicle A has a private plate and was MOTed in Scotland this month. With re-registering it, is it going to be easy enough to get a replacement MOT certificate from an MOT centre in N.I, without being retested?

Crispy

RMS Member
OP
C
Drives
2006 Astra
In case anyone finds it useful in future when coming across this thread...

Transferred the registrations via post since online didn't work for me. Took about two weeks to get the new logbooks back, but that time included the New Year holiday. Still haven't seen them cash my £80 cheque yet though...

In this case, my car didn't revert to its previous registration (which was English reg) and instead was assigned a new NI plate.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.