Pros and Cons: Nissan 350z vs Focus ST

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Hey everyone.

Im hoping to change cars over next few months.

Now I have a plan A currently afoot regarding importing myself something from Japan but if it doesn't work out I need a plan B.

Ive been a big fan of both of these cars for a long time but am undecided which would be best for me.

Context will be a weekend car and to take to car n coffee meets etc occasional show.

Will be modded no doubt in future etc.

So I'm looking input on

The drive
The feel ie do they feel special enough for weekend car
Personal experiences etc

Both will be around the 2006 mark and sub 60k miles.

Open to other suggestions. No VAG options etc lol
Thanks

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I can't imagine either being exciting enough to have as weekend cars, but if it is just that then the 350 simply as its rear wheel drive. Never drive one but have drive st's

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If you liked the mx5 you'll like the 350z. They're a very good driving thing but a bit on the slow side tbh. I really liked mine though, would definitely love another some day.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
My Focus is great, but, would I consider it a weekend car? I would probably say no. To me it is too good at being a daily, whereas I would consider a weekend toy something that wee bit rarer to get and a weekend toy because its hard to live with or use daily.

I use it everyday, and it does its job perfectly, drives really well, sounds phenomenal, and returns usually just over 30mpg for me. It is also modified, running 300hp. You are welcome to have a look round it or take it a run if you want.

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
My Focus is great, but, would I consider it a weekend car? I would probably say no. To me it is too good at being a daily, whereas I would consider a weekend toy something that wee bit rarer to get and a weekend toy because its hard to live with or use daily.

I use it everyday, and it does its job perfectly, drives really well, sounds phenomenal, and returns usually just over 30mpg for me. It is also modified, running 300hp. You are welcome to have a look round it or take it a run if you want.

gentleman thanks i would appreciate that

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
The more I drive my 350 the more I like it, I had my doubts for a while, but if you grab it by the scruff, turn the TC off it's a lot of fun.

Focus more tuneable for sure but the 350 is faster than it feels.

Also welcome to a spin in mine.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I don't think either would really be a 'weekend car' as such. Weekend car should either be thirsty or a drop top so for me a classic Impreza, an S2000 or a Boxster S.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Tbh, it's almost a well used phrase on here, but a mk5 gti platform car. You can't really buy anything else for the same money that's as easy/effective to tune (a few bolt ons on a K04 car will give a genuine 350-380hp unlike the fords)

Def not a weekend car though more a great all rounder

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Assuming you're not importing one... An R34 GTS-T

350Z are a bit soft standard, sold somewhat like a GT car.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
prob 7-9 k mate

If you are after a Focus, then a mk1 RS all the way. Tuneable and they aren't going to devalue. Audi S2? E36 M3? You've a good budget to pick from some really nice cars! Personally I think you'd want something old and tuneable for a weekend car, something that feels special to drive.

Last edited:

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Been looking into the 350z lately myself, work is less than 2 miles from home and all of my driving is mainly on the weekends, sub 5k per year these days. Plus the 1.8 mondeo i'm currently in is quite boring lol

Conor

RMS Regular
I would be looking at a really clean E36 M3 for that dough. You wouldn't lose much if kept right. Or even an E39 M5.

Edit, just seen your year and mileage requirements, and TBH, I would still say the above! The Mk4 R32 suggestion is a good one too.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
To be honest neither would make me think weekend car.

350z, they aren't especially quick (don't confuse this as me thinking only 'fast' cars can be weekend cars) but can sound really nice.

ST Focus, good car no doubt, but surely a daily? Again sound awesome.

R32 Golf, sound nice too, lovely cars but far too refined to be a weekend car.

To my mind a weekend car needs to be something that is a bit awkward to drive daily, either old or very performance focused.

VX220? Seem to just squeeze in to that price bracket, I was going to suggest a TVR Chimaera but when did they get so expensive, car markets getting silly :worried:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.