Race engine prep- part 2

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

S_Gault

RMS Regular
The rods-

take one steel S rod, machine the big end to set the side clearance properly, then machine the weight off,

then set it up on the rotary table and mill the little end.

Fit new ARP bolts and resize the bearing diameter, and fit bronze bush to the little end, ream to size and to equalise the conrod lengths.

Then machine the rod beams, and edn to end balance to get them all within 1g.

New rods are 120g lighter than standard!

About a weeks work in total-

heres a pic

bob

RMS Regular
Not meaning to sound stupid, but when you say you machine the weight of the big end, what are you actually taking of?

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
You make it sound complicated.

Why not just design a set of rods to your specification for the likes of Farndon or Arrow to make? One week of your time is bound to cost close to £400+ that they charge. They might even be stronger and lighter than machining the originals.

S_Gault

RMS Regular
OP
S_Gault
Well it kinda is involved if you want all of them to have the same deck height... measure a few you'll see what i mean. These are the lengths you have to go to be competitive,

I made a set of titanium ones about 4 years ago.. this is actually easier.

As for farndon / etc- I ve built 3 since Dec with them already.. but my own time is free to me so its cheaper than £800. Im a normal working guy.

Steven

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.