"Race ramps" or home made alternative

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
Has anyone got anything like this for putting lowered cars on before jacking?

Currently using a couple of trusty bricks and wood but something a bit better would be nice.

Cheapest I have found is about £50 delivered - anywhere local sell anything or what is good to use as a home made alternative

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
I got fed up with local garages telling me they couldn't work on my 335d E92 because it was too low to be on the ramps. I ended up making my own ramps up out of old pallets for free. They work fine and are an easy quick solution to get the car on axle stands or jacks etc.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Actually no, had a mate who used them and they seemed to be good and I just struggled on with a couple of wood that were an off cut of a purlin beam. But they are a right pain the hole as they are easy to push along if you're in a RWD car.
Something like these might be better with a lower height. There's a few different types and if you have a caravan shop close by, you might be able to have a look at a few?
Fiamma Level Pro Pair Wheel Leveller Levelling Ramps Ramp Caravan Motorhome | eBay

Keep meaning to get my finger out and buy a pair.

j44nty

RMS Regular
Actually no, had a mate who used them and they seemed to be good and I just struggled on with a couple of wood that were an off cut of a purlin beam. But they are a right pain the hole as they are easy to push along if you're in a RWD car.
Something like these might be better with a lower height. There's a few different types and if you have a caravan shop close by, you might be able to have a look at a few?
Fiamma Level Pro Pair Wheel Leveller Levelling Ramps Ramp Caravan Motorhome | eBay

Keep meaning to get my finger out and buy a pair.
I made wedge shape about the same size but I have to carry the thing about in the boot incase I get a flat even with it I still get bumper catch the black bm was just too low.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I got fed up with local garages telling me they couldn't work on my 335d E92 because it was too low to be on the ramps. I ended up making my own ramps up out of old pallets for free. They work fine and are an easy quick solution to get the car on axle stands or jacks etc.

So clearly your car was too low for them to be bothered ****ing about with other ramps just so they can get the car high enough to get access to from another ramp.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The motorhome ramps are no good, catch the front bumper before the front wheels.

You can get many different designs of them though, varying heights etc. Although if the car has broken suspension it's best just to fix it so it will fit.

geniemac

RMS Member
Drives
mx5
I have a 3.5 ton motorhome, and the yellow fiamma ramps, they are very strong and light, but do tend to slide at times on smooth surfaces.

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
So clearly your car was too low for them to be bothered ****ing about with other ramps just so they can get the car high enough to get access to from another ramp.

My 335d was not lowered at all. Completely mint factory condition. Still is.....

Reactions: Ben

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Good to hear from someone who has them. (y)
Do they grip well on a floor?

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Good to hear from someone who has them. (y)
Do they grip well on a floor?

Perfectly mate. They actually have a very gradual incline, so your tyres grip them very quickly.

Much easier to use than the taller, traditional metal frame ramps.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Excellent, thanks, I'll look out for some deals then!

Just had a quick look through my emails and I can see they have shot up in price since I bought mine.

Even at ~ £35 on eBay, they are worth every penny and incredibly useful.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
You can see both types in use here. Note the blue extensions for the red ramps....

20170204_081704.jpg

Laser ramps in use here, under the front wheels.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.