Ramps jacks lifts

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Would a big jack not be better as those yokes are going to be a bit awkward if you need to take the wheels off to get at brakes etc..?
Something like this
1.5 Ton Professional Trolley Jack with 855mm Lifting Height
Might be more versatile with a set of large axle stands and a jacking beam. I know I've made good use of my normal large jack and have a similar sized sealey jack to that SGS one that I've been re-building off and on. Need to get it finished soon as the MX5 is getting some serious work this winter.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

Have non-adjustable ones, you can have them for free if they're any use to you. Only used twice, basically brand new, lol.

I found them a bit dangerous, they can easily slip and move when driving up them. They really need to be anchored down.

Once the car is up they're fine, but as above really don't do anything a jack and stands won't do. You'll still be crawling on the ground underneath.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
looks good and tempting shame they werent a bit cheaper and higher! Might be something to keep an eye on in the new year sales.

Neil what you using ?

I do agree on both points.

Unfortunately they don't tend to do massive discounts. I did try to bargain with them at Goodwood this year but not much movement.

I haven't seen anything better bar a budget 2 or 4 post lift.

I'm going to be doing some garage work soon, so not quite sure what to do. The quick jacks are that bit more flexible, so that may well be a useful option. You can of course move them out of the way too...

Ollie

RMS Regular
Big old jack would be better than those

FB_IMG_1544784951863.jpg

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
appreciate that, but the thought of them slipping kind of puts me off !

prob wait till the next year and see what state the bank account is in and maybe go for the quicklift

Have non-adjustable ones, you can have them for free if they're any use to you. Only used twice, basically brand new, lol.

I found them a bit dangerous, they can easily slip and move when driving up them. They really need to be anchored down.

Once the car is up they're fine, but as above really don't do anything a jack and stands won't do. You'll still be crawling on the ground underneath.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The slipping/moving when driving up/down is a general thing with ramps, not specific to these ones. As long as they're anchored down they're fine, but yes, put me off a bit as well, lol. That, plus the fact a jack and stands do the same job.

That quick lift looks like a good job, never seen one in real life though.

There are similar compact scissor lifts too that are also "mobile" and can be moved aside when not used etc. Don't have the link here, will have a look later. From memory they were similarly priced, and slightly higher at the lowest point. Depends how low the car is and all that. No chance with the Lotus, but that "quick lift" might just work - just :innocent:

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
hehe - yea the mid scissor lifts seem to give about 1m or so. I could prob put one outside as i have a concrete wash area, but then you loose the novelty of going into the warm garage in the winter nights.

Plus i think the quickjack might give better access to the exhaust than some of the scissor lifts. If you were tinkering about with cat backs or high flow cats/ decats etc.

NotKG

Banned
i bought a motorbike ramp of cjautos ,
was cheaper and better weight capacity than any i seen here in ni.
bought a bike frame jack, and a trolley jack and paddock stands off them too.
and a neighbour seen my ramp and bought the same off them.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The slipping/moving when driving up/down is a general thing with ramps, not specific to these ones. As long as they're anchored down they're fine, but yes, put me off a bit as well, lol. That, plus the fact a jack and stands do the same job.

That quick lift looks like a good job, never seen one in real life though.

There are similar compact scissor lifts too that are also "mobile" and can be moved aside when not used etc. Don't have the link here, will have a look later. From memory they were similarly priced, and slightly higher at the lowest point. Depends how low the car is and all that. No chance with the Lotus, but that "quick lift" might just work - just :innocent:

The key to stop ramps slipping is to use the extenders. The gentler slope means the ramps never slide and the weight of the car clamps them to the floor. Never had an issue once I started using the extenders.

Car Ramp Extensions. Cougar Ramp Mate. Helps Cars with Low Ground Clearance. | eBay

kylus1986

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT
The key to stop ramps slipping is to use the extenders. The gentler slope means the ramps never slide and the weight of the car clamps them to the floor. Never had an issue once I started using the extenders.

Car Ramp Extensions. Cougar Ramp Mate. Helps Cars with Low Ground Clearance. | eBay

second this. other than managing to bend one of my extenders trying to put something heavier than i should have up, i've never had a problem with ramps slipping since using these.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.