Recommendations/ advice on subwoofers?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

JohnnyRC2

Well,
I'm looking to get a subwoofer for my car (Passat) was just wondering what subs are recommended and if there's any problems with certain brands or things that I should look out for.
One I've been looking at is:
Edge 12" Twin Subwoofer:
Linky:
Edge 12" Twin Double Bass Box Sub Subwoofer EDB12 1800w on eBay (end time 07-Dec-10 15:39:42 GMT)

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this subwoofer are, as I've heard very good reviews.
But any recommendations are welcome.

Cheers
Johnny

stuartyp

RMS Regular
why dont you go to your local dealer where they can advise you on stuff and you should be able to hear a demo too.I think more people should support there dealers rather than scan ebay for crap like edge just my thoughts..

pablo

RMS Moderator
it does look like a bit of an ebay special. Dealers tend not to stock that kind of stuff so seem much more expensive but its only because youre getting better stuff.

A good 12" sub will be better than that ebay pair Ill bet (plus will use less space). But the subs are only one part of the equation. A decent amp, wiring, and installation will be needed too.

Its all down to budget at the end of the day but most folks who buy cheap end up upgrading sooner rather than later so end up paying twice.

look for second hand stuff too, you can get a little more for your money that way.

Rfg

RMS Regular
cant beek kicker the solobaric subs take up a small amount of spacce and really thump. looking an L7 square sub myself at the mo..

Alan_M

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia SRI VX-
cant beek kicker the solobaric subs take up a small amount of spacce and really thump. looking an L7 square sub myself at the mo..

SIM have some kicker stuff they are blowing out.....

JL audio is my fave atm. Used to be MTX and alpine but now i always run an Alpine H/U and everything else JL. JL W0 12" sub is £60 from sim so cracking value

JohnnyRC2

OP
JohnnyRC2
Yeah, was jst wondering what your thoughts were on the edge subs, as they stock them in my local dealers also, can just get them for cheaper on the net. Just my thoughts.;)
Have been looking at vibe aswell as I have a couple of mates that have them and would highly recommend them.
Vibe are a very good brand and there the people who make edge so I don't see why they'd be bad?

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GR86
What ever you buy make sure you get enough info so you can make the right sized sub box. You can make a good sub sound average in the wrong box.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Yeah, was jst wondering what your thoughts were on the edge subs, as they stock them in my local dealers also, can just get them for cheaper on the net. Just my thoughts.;)
Have been looking at vibe aswell as I have a couple of mates that have them and would highly recommend them.
Vibe are a very good brand and there the people who make edge so I don't see why they'd be bad?

I was impressed with the sound of a £90 edge "active" sub when I heard one of the member's cars last year. It's not a brand I would normally go for, but if you are on a budget, it's certainly worth considering. VIBE and EDGE are distributed by the same company (Midbass), I'm not so sure if they are made in the same factory!

My advice is to buy with your ears, not your eyes. Many people buy an awesome-looking sub, only to find that no budget was left to actually make the sub sound good. If you are buying a sub to look at it, then that's fine, but I buy a sub to listen to it.....

My usual suspects are:
JL
MTX
Focal
Rainbow
Hertz
With Kenwood, Alpine or JL amplification, depending on budget.

JohnnyRC2

OP
JohnnyRC2
I was impressed with the sound of a £90 edge "active" sub when I heard one of the member's cars last year. It's not a brand I would normally go for, but if you are on a budget, it's certainly worth considering. VIBE and EDGE are distributed by the same company (Midbass), I'm not so sure if they are made in the same factory!

My advice is to buy with your ears, not your eyes. Many people buy an awesome-looking sub, only to find that no budget was left to actually make the sub sound good. If you are buying a sub to look at it, then that's fine, but I buy a sub to listen to it.....

My usual suspects are:
JL
MTX
Focal
Rainbow
Hertz
With Kenwood, Alpine or JL amplification, depending on budget.

No, no, no I couldn't give a **** what the sub looks like as long as it has stupid levels of bass, I've heard this sub before, single one though.
Sounds really good, looks really good and really good price. Btw this is my first car so yeah budget is an issue.
I've been looking at some of the ones you've listed also, saw some nice looking subs with good reviews,
currently looking at a few of them.
I'm not really looking for a mad install or anything so, what would be a good level of RMS power and peak power to be aiming for?

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Going by your message above, I'd say 7 million watts RMS - I believe Jetsound may have one!!!!!!!

If you are on a budget, I find JBL amps and subs extremely hard to beat. The sound isn't as musical as some of the classier systems, but the boom for buck is ear-bleedingly good!

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gt5-12.html I had two of these (older model) in my Fabia a couple of years back with a £100 JBL 5-channel amp and it certainly did impress!

JohnnyRC2

OP
JohnnyRC2
Going by your message above, I'd say 7 million watts RMS - I believe Jetsound may have one!!!!!!!

If you are on a budget, I find JBL amps and subs extremely hard to beat. The sound isn't as musical as some of the classier systems, but the boom for buck is ear-bleedingly good!

JBL GT5-12 Subwoofer I had two of these (older model) in my Fabia a couple of years back with a £100 JBL 5-channel amp and it certainly did impress!

Cheers for the link man, I'll be checking them out.
Was thinking about this one too:
http://http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MTX-JA...nment_GPS_Car_Speakers_PP&hash=item45f46d46bd
Lol.
Nah just came across this when looking at the different mtx's on ebay.
Yeah I'll definantly be looking in to that cause you can get pre made boxes on ebay for pretty cheap.

Ive got two Pioneer WD257D2, below is a link to the 2010 model. These subs are incredible, and work super, with no problem. The boxes I have them in are custom made, but can make the ladies smile wen there in the car ;)
Last car I had one of these in a ported box and sound was excellent.

TS-W258D4 25cm 4? C-Type Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer (1200W) - Pioneer Speakers & Subwoofers
Cheers or the info man, I'll be looking into that too, I'll be taking my time, no rushed decisions on this.

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
yeah don't rush into, reserarch it first, as said above, make sure you spend your money right the first time round, so you don't have to pay twice to improve it =)

JohnnyRC2

OP
JohnnyRC2
yeah don't rush into, reserarch it first, as said above, make sure you spend your money right the first time round, so you don't have to pay twice to improve it =)
Yeah cheers, real good advice on this forum. :grinning:
I was thinking of that edge because everything is already included, wiring kit, subs and amp for 135 posted. Sounds like a bargain.
All that needs done is to wire it.
Need to replace the standard radio too to get the best out of the subwoofer, don't I?
Out of interest if I was to get a good subwoofer, would here be much, if any, point of replacing the door speakers?

Sorry about all the questions, just want to be sure! :p

pablo

RMS Moderator
I cant see anything in the ebay ad saying its got that. THey call it a passive system too which suggests its just the subs and box.

JohnnyRC2

OP
JohnnyRC2
I cant see anything in the ebay ad saying its got that. THey call it a passive system too which suggests its just the subs and box.
You might be right, but I've seen it in the flesh in halfords and it definantly has an amp + wiring kit, so the one on ebay should be the same?
I'll give them a pm and see what the crac with it is.

pablo

RMS Moderator
might be a higher model one with built in amp. Prob the best to get you going tbh but will defo be more than £135.

JohnnyRC2

OP
JohnnyRC2
might be a higher model one with built in amp. Prob the best to get you going tbh but will defo be more than £135.
Yeah, well, my budget is about £200 for the subwoofer itself.
So I'll check it out and see what the story is with that one on ebay.
The one it Halfords is £170 - £180, With apm and wiring included.
They want £40 quid an hour per hour to install it.
That's a joke I think. Good price for the sub but a joke for the fitting.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Yeah, well, my budget is about £200 for the subwoofer itself.
So I'll check it out and see what the story is with that one on ebay.
The one it Halfords is £170 - £180, With apm and wiring included.
They want £40 quid an hour per hour to install it.
That's a joke I think. Good price for the sub but a joke for the fitting.

£40 an hour for a business' labour is not a lot of money. Take all the expenses out of that £40 per hour, you aren't left with much - Blame the Government, Taxman, Bankers or all the other thieves in this world pushing up the cost of running a business year on year. Take it to your car's main dealer and see if they will charge that.... don't think so!!

Rant over! lol

and PM me if you want it fitted :grinning:

Del, Bodgit and Scarper Installations

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I have some brand new gear here that I took in part-ex - 2 x JL10WX subs and a 250W rms JL amp needing £175 for the lot (retail - 280)

BUT

The gear is in my weekday address in Coventry! I can post or bring it back with me next time I'm driving home (about 3-4 weeks)

JohnnyRC2

OP
JohnnyRC2
yeah they should do it for free ^o)
Yeah that's what I was thinking. :grinning:
They quoted me 4 ****ing hours to install it though, so they want 160 quid to install a 170 quid subwoofer.
Whooo reasoning ftw.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.