Red Diesel - Filtration?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Personally, I'm convinced that red diesel is just as clean as normal clear diesel (it goes into farm machinery worth as much as my house with no issues and AFAIK its just clear diesel with a dye), however the guy we're buying the LandCruiser from insists that red can be dirty and needs extra filtration to be safe.

The vehicle already has a small inline filter however I was thinking of adding another just to be sure.

Firstly - is it necessary? Secondly - whats the best type to use? Another small inline type or the bigger canisters with the water trap or some kind of filter on the drum before it goes into the tank?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Red is every bit as good as white diesel, no need to filter it. Either way it's not like the cruiser will be running hundredsof miles a week.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
your actually posting something like this up... lol

red diesel is dirtier than clear, you will have to change filters more regularly etc.. never mind the fine you will get if your scooped..

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
your actually posting something like this up... lol

red diesel is dirtier than clear, you will have to change filters more regularly etc.. never mind the fine you will get if your scooped..

Erm, yes I am. Where's it say I'm using it on the road?

Two conflicting accounts already lol...

You're right PurpleA4T but it's old and when it does get driven it'll be driven hard.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
No matter what colour it is, its only as dirty as the tanks that were holding it. Just be selective in where u buy it from (y)

Think Coog is using if for an off-roader so dont think the dippy man will be standing in the bottom of some bog :laughing:

seanmooney

RMS Regular
Yeah but considering that there are a few peelers that use this site and could report him for suspected use of red is enough to make me LMAO...

Doesnt matter if hes in a bog or on the moon.. is the vehicle taxed?

Its one of those things that you think about and possibly do but you shouldnt put it up on one of NI's biggest web sites for motorists.. lol

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
I've heard reports of some "cherry diesel bai" containing acid

is this true or an "urban myth"

if it is true why does it contain acid?

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Its only a dye that makes it any different from what I know. The car that the red is for is being trailored between events so there is no legal issue to worry about. You shouldnt need to worry about any extra filters as its just as clean if bought legit !

Bryan

RMS Regular
I had this discussion with a mechanic once and he said that red diesel is actually the best diesel to use in this country. He said at least with the red stuff you know you are actually getting proper diesel and it's not supermarket bargain basement stuff or stuff that's been fiddled with in any way. I don't think it would damage an engine either with the price of tractors and stuff these days!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah but considering that there are a few peelers that use this site and could report him for suspected use of red is enough to make me LMAO...

Doesnt matter if hes in a bog or on the moon.. is the vehicle taxed?

Its one of those things that you think about and possibly do but you shouldnt put it up on one of NI's biggest web sites for motorists.. lol

Use of red diesel would be the last concern if a peeler seen me on the road in the LandCruiser :party:

http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/rms-members-cars/118464-toyota-landcruiser.html

This is it... it's an offroader... for offroad. It's never going to touch a wheel to the road, ever. Would be as interesting as a generator or diesel powered steam washer to the peelers.

Gambit

RMS Regular
id agree with bryan, tractors aint the cheapest of machines to buy, and im sure they are just as technically advanced engine wise so cant see farmer joe run them on piss poor quality diesel

maybe years back when tractor engines where very basic they could run on shiiiite diesel but not now i reckon

sure could you just not run your landcruisier on used chip fat?!?

r6kyl

RMS Regular
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
is kitty litter not supposed to remove the dirt or is that for removing the dye? :confounded:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Don't think so Gambit, maybe a combination but red's that cheap anyway I'd rather just run it on that. I do agree, just wondering where all this chat of red diesel being dirty came from... unless its because it sits in a tank for ages or something :confounded:

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Coog as I said above fella it will not damage your engine so bang it in. If I didnt have to come to belfast a lot I could be running the L200 on red all day long without a problem. Theres no dipping goes on in the sticks on the roads I use

Bryan

RMS Regular
I'd say Kerosene would damage a diesel engine in the long term. Not quite the same viscosity properties as normal diesel so I'd say the injectors would have a hard time.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
sure why not use carisone then? its cheaper.. half red half carisone..

Kero doesn't have the right lubricant and will eventually do in fuel pumps.

Red is as good as any diesel if not better, but as said before storage is the key. A lot of people just keep it in an old dirty metal tank which is where a lot of the problems with it arises from.........

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.