Removal of Polish on Black Trim

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Folks,

Does anyone have any techniques or tips to remove white polish marks from black trim, like bump strips etc?

Once my plastic blackening solution wears off the polish marks are still there...

Its letting the car down a bit IMO :worried:

Cess

RMS Staff
Use better back to black. Autoglym bumper snot is hard to beat.

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Mask the black strips to stop it happeneing in the 1st place.

I found that baby wipes and some elbow grease takes the polish off very well indeed :grinning:

seven rod

RMS Regular
Drives
MCSD Coupe
window cleaner takes it off! or if you can get your hands on it Manpower is brilliant!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Thanks for the replies... Something to try for the weekend :grinning:

Ruth

RMS Regular
pencil eraser for me, leaves a load of wee rubbery bits tho :p

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Que loads of puns...

Im using Back to Black from memory...

Ill try the "eraser" first and see how that does :grinning:

If not ill try the other solutions , or make up my own cocktail of cleaning agents and melt the plastic off :laughing:!

Ruth

RMS Regular
get it colour coded, i hated the black plastic around the clio for polishing so i had it painted, problem solved!

Cess

RMS Staff
Don't use the spray on stuff, its ribbish. Get something like megs/autoglym bumper snot and apply with a sponge or applicator.

Gambit

RMS Regular
i use a rubber to get rid of polish on the trim

also, i find autoglym bumper snot wick as its needs reapplied about every 3 weeks

Kiwi scuff coat for shoes (bottle with sponge applicator) is perfect for plastic trim on golfs & lasts about 3 months. plus it only costs 2.50 a bottle and you'll get 2 applications out of it

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Ruth - the fez is only keeping me going for around a year more. I dont want to spend any money on it as wel there is no point. Besides the colour coding doesnt do alot for them IMO. Also if i got the side strips done, I would need to do the mirrors then... etc etc The colour coding from the Zetec spec is enough. BTW whats your bro at these days, havent chatted to him in quite a while.

Thanks for the recomendations on products. Ill give the rubber a go later on today and see how it does. If need be ill get one of the products you guys have said :grinning:

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I was for asking this myself the other day. Must try the rubber then, and that boot polish sounds like a good plan.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Folks used the Eraser on the car on saturday afternoon, done a great job. The plastics are looking great now. When blackened up they will look the business. Cheers!

Luke MK2

Drives
Passat B6
Autoglym bumper care is good for the mk2 golf, but it needs re-applied alot and can leave streaks and stuff if not applied evenly, i may experiment with this boot polish you speak of. . .

Gambit

RMS Regular
dont use boot polish otherwise it rubs off on your clothes etc if you brush against it. you want to use the Kiwi Scuff Guard that comes in a bottle with sponge applicator. it dries and lasts for yonks

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
wingnut said:
I must give this a try.

It definately works well mate.

I just need to mint the car to get it to completely pay off.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.