removing EGR valve from R60 cooper SD

pablo

RMS Moderator
N47N engine

car has thrown an EGR related code twice now so had a look to see how to get the EGR out for a cleaning but cant see any obvious way to get it out easily. Any tips?

2018-11-29 17.55.49.jpg
2018-11-29 17.55.43.jpg

dervsport

RMS Regular
You will need to remove the complete egr and cooler assembly. Cleaning is very rarely of any use on these to be honest.

Damskii

Hi @wildthing & dervsport.

Just picking this thread up as the wifes car is throwing up EGR codes (480A) and showing low pressure EGR actuator signal at 0% on live data. I'm looking to replace as suggest above but just wanted to check if you mean the whole EGR cooler/valve unit needs to be replaced or can the actual valve itself just be replaced? I'm a motorbike tech, so handy enough with the tools, just not a huge amount of experience with diesel EGR problems funnily enough. Cheers guys

Ad

jabails

Drives
Cooper D
egr valve buy piesburg only thats what mini are equiped with
Hi, currently getting P042f code, EGR stuck in closed position. I have had it off and cleaned it, didn't seem clogged. Still getting the same code along with some throttle codes P0113 and P2620.

About to replace the EGR valve with the pierburg OEM, it won't need programming will it?

jabails

Drives
Cooper D
You need diagnostics to pull the valve closed before you fit it to avoid damage. Cooler could also be blocked
Thanks mate, I’ve replaced the solenoid actuator today, only £27 but I had the p0402 which is excessive flow so thought that might be worth doing. The cooler looked quite full of carbon from what I could see inside, but thought that would be pretty normal? How would I know if cooler was the issue? Would that cause the EGR to stay closed?

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
You will hear the egr valve probably opening and closing at idle by the different engine tone. Check with bmw is your cooler covered under the recall, that will sort it out if so