Retrim queries

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
In the event of an accident (touch wood will never happen);

will the airbag come through whatever the dash is retrimed in ? eg vinyl or alcantara

-Pete-

RMS Regular
DCi Tigger said:
In the event of an accident (touch wood will never happen);

will the airbag come through whatever the dash is retrimed in ? eg vinyl or alcantara

thats a hard thing to answer, your car has been designed with the airbag meant to work a certain way so by interferring with it in a way it wasnt designed to be then it may react differently in an accident. i personally dont think its worth it for the hassle it may cause. its purely a case of try it and see what happens or hope you dont need it^o)

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
i personally think as i said it will have a negative effect on the airbag operation... which could result in a massive claim from your passenger should the worst happen

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
would it be safer to keep the airbag off then? or have it done with the special "airbag thread" so it can deploy properly

-Pete-

RMS Regular
airbag thread?! i would just not risk it for the sake of it going wrong otherwise just be prepared to have no airbag permanently!

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
I am getting my new speakers/crossovers fitted doors tomorrow hence having my doorcards/door-trim done with black vinyl and charcoal alcantara.

Therefore intending to get the dash/steering wheel done to match it in the near future ;)

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
I know this is a tad off topic, but, i'd stop when you get the doors done. the money you are spending is going down the drain. i did the same for the Ibiza, and the money i lost was unreal!!!!!

Keep the money, start saving and buy a new car in the next year or so.

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Ur Ibiza is/was mint (y)
Although I intend keeping the Clio for a good-while yet, until I have got myself a house at-least.

No point changing the car and going mad on it all over again from scratch, I know thats exactly what would happen

Phil_D

RMS Regular
I got the dash in the EVO covered in Alcantara...Will post up some pics later...Should have it fitted next week.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
but im an impatient cuunt!!! lol

Was talking to a few people last night and i think i might just wait for an FQ. seen a mint white 7 import, but when i phoned he said that it "might need abit of underseal" it only had -20k on it...so the potential rust thing has scared me lol

Phil_D

RMS Regular
andy_gdon said:
but im an impatient cuunt!!! lol

Was talking to a few people last night and i think i might just wait for an FQ. seen a mint white 7 import, but when i phoned he said that it "might need abit of underseal" it only had -20k on it...so the potential rust thing has scared me lol

If it just been imported it should be fine mate. Get lots of pics taken of the underneath...Its not a big job to underseal them....White VII's look the bollox :grinning:

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Can anyone confirm (or point me in the right direction to find out) that an airbag unit is powerful enough to burst through a layer of vinyl material?

Just need to put my mind at rest so I can arrange to have the dash done :grinning:

-Pete-

RMS Regular
i dont think anyone here will have direct knowledge as to whether an airbag will pop vinyl! hardly a test anyone would have routinely performed to know ;)

i personally wouldnt do it but its your call at the end of the day.

if the vinyl was thin enough it MIGHT work but remember your dash is specially constructed and designed to let the airbag pop it, if you put something over it , it may well just fail when you need it.

not worth doing in my opinion unless you can just turn the airbag off

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Imagine the dash done matching this ;)

DSCF0319.jpg

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
that does look very nice trev - you should have got the speaker pod moulded in as well

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
the pod that houses the speaker - where the crease is below the handle/electric window controls

hows the rest of the car coming along?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.