Return spring and grease recommendations?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Rather than start two new threads I’m combining the requests.

Without going into too much detail, I need to get a stronger brake Caliper return spring for the Vectra. Is this something someone on heat can manufacture?

I’ll happliy meet or send the current one for testing/comparison.

Also, can anyone recommend a good heavy, properly waterproof grease that won’t wash off when someone cries near the car?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
For the grease you could try the sticky red stuff used for greasing 5th wheel couplings.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Cheers, will see if I can get my hands on some of that.

I’ve tried Bigg Red with regards to the spring and they say they can only supply OE spec spring

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
White marine grease if you want something which refuses to ever come off!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Managed to get Red Rubber Grease. Seems fairly sticky and is allegedly reasonably water proof so hopefully it’ll do the trick.

On the spring front, I discovered that the return spring for the estate is 15mm shorter than the same spring for the hatch, one ordered and fitted and so far the combination of the two is doing what I need them to do!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Red rubber grease is not as sticky....just the same colour. But it's very good for brake piston seals.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.