RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Finally! Stage 1 of ‘epic garage build’ completed - signed off and registered a small piece of land for my shed, joined onto my house 👍🏼
Transfer Map - copy.jpeg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
So after my success on AliExpress with the hex lights I decided to go the whole hog and ordered ribbed flooring off there as well direct again from China. Bit of a nervous wait as it took over 2 months to arrive but it is absolutely spot on and I'm over the moon with the result. My 7 year old boy even laid one complete bay of it himself while I cut the edges, so easy to work with.
Garage looks great. Tiles look great. Pity the wouldn't work in my workshop. Although I'm thinking in the bay where my airchamber is, they might be good for underneath that to allow some airflow as I find I can some moisture trapped below there around winter.

What colour is the paint you used for your walls? Looks great, a lot nicer than just white.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Garage looks great. Tiles look great. Pity the wouldn't work in my workshop. Although I'm thinking in the bay where my airchamber is, they might be good for underneath that to allow some airflow as I find I can some moisture trapped below there around winter.

What colour is the paint you used for your walls? Looks great, a lot nicer than just white.

Thanks Ian. The paint was one of the mid greys out of the Fleetwood catalogue, can't remember the exact one, but all I would say is the walls and ceiling really darkened the space so without the hex lights it would def have been a bit gloomy in there. I would go lighter to bounce a bit more light around a workshop.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
all I would say is the walls and ceiling really darkened the space so without the hex lights it would def have been a bit gloomy in there. I would go lighter to bounce a bit more light around a workshop.
Thanks. I was just planning to make the bottom 1m strip a darker colour and keep the rest white so should be ok.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Thanks. I was just planning to make the bottom 1m strip a darker colour and keep the rest white so should be ok.

That would look well and also be more forgiving than white on the bottom metre for bumps and knocks.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I have to commit my plans to the planning department on Wednesday and would welcome feedback on the position of the shed within the boundaries. Should I move it off centre at the top, closer to one side? Further forward or back? I will need to cut a wedge out of the ground to set the shed level, and I might have to slope the concrete parking area downwards a bit at the front of the shed to tie in with the fall of the land.

Cheers!
Site Plan edited.jpg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
If you need space to park a trailer or have a wash bay, might be useful to have it offset.
To the right side might make more sense? i was planning on washing out the front of the shed, running an aco channel drain across the bottom of the front bit to catch the water.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Personally I'd offset it to the right with room to park along side on the left. As side above, would be handy for a trailer/wash area with a sump drain and then possibly lean to type extension for a covered area. Also that's the side of the pedestrian door. Drive right up to it in the rain, sort the keys out and bounce out ready to unlock or then, possibly, in the future covered area to stand and gain dry access.

That would be my dream scenario

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I put a wash bay in beside my garage, great job although it's facing east so gets the morning sun and means you have a few seconds to put pre wash or foam on the car before it dries, if doing it in the morning. I'd put it on the west if that had been an option for me but wanting to cover it in with a carport arrangement if possible.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Is it a so-far-unused space? I wish I had kept my garage a lot further to one side, to have more grass in the other side!
Completely empty space so far. I definitely don’t need more grass though 👍🏼
Personally I'd offset it to the right with room to park along side on the left. As side above, would be handy for a trailer/wash area with a sump drain and then possibly lean to type extension for a covered area. Also that's the side of the pedestrian door. Drive right up to it in the rain, sort the keys out and bounce out ready to unlock or then, possibly, in the future covered area to stand and gain dry access.

That would be my dream scenario
It’s getting remote shutter doors on front so can drive in without getting wet.
I put a wash bay in beside my garage, great job although it's facing east so gets the morning sun and means you have a few seconds to put pre wash or foam on the car before it dries, if doing it in the morning. I'd put it on the west if that had been an option for me but wanting to cover it in with a carport arrangement if possible.
It’s a south facing site so nowhere really ideal for keeping out of the sun

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What if you rotated it 90degrees Adam and put it up against the fence line. You’d open up some scope for the building to provide shade itself for a bay beside it, maybe a place to hide outside pruck like logs, trailers etc out of sight

Always good keeping the doors hidden from the road too.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Offset it. Leaves you room for parking and the likes of the car port, etc.

If your building this, your going to fill it and as I have found out, you will need more room eventually.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
What if you rotated it 90degrees Adam and put it up against the fence line. You’d open up some scope for the building to provide shade itself for a bay beside it, maybe a place to hide outside pruck like logs, trailers etc out of sight
I'm 10m above the road level, so I dont think it will really matter where I stick it in terms of privacy. Apart from space behind it which is private, so I might be better to move it forward a few metres and store behind it. I did contemplate putting it sideways but would be a hell of a lot of digging out and retaining walls.

1709631860360.png

Always good keeping the doors hidden from the road too.
Not really going to work due site elevation, although hedge will eventually hide some of it.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Edit 1. I;m not good at thinking about the practicalities of turning, reversing out of the shed etc, does this look ok.
1709644008698.png

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
@saxo_man don’t stress too much about the exact location now. I don’t think anyone will come out and check to see if you moved it a few meters. Best man to advise will be the guy who is going to form the lane and dig the ground.

I see there is a proposed wall to the rear. So if you push the shed into one corner assuming you will want a small pedestrian path for access around the shed? I have seen people make use of the wall, to form the bottom half of the shed, but that would only work if you are pushing the shed back even further.

Reactions: Ben

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Edit 1. I;m not good at thinking about the practicalities of turning, reversing out of the shed etc, does this look ok.
View attachment 427116
Hard to gauge without actual measurements but if I were designing that shed I’d want a clean swing with a trailer into the shed,

Another thing although maybe aesthetically not as nice as curves but when you square it off kerbing etc everything is easier 😂 maybe even square it off with a bit of a curve to soften one corner.

Also the bit on the left? Is that just grass? Seems pointless I’d have it as part of the drive, also consider since you can easily at this stage design it so that an 8 wheeler lorry can get up, as you never know when it will come in handy
IMG_0422.jpeg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
@saxo_man don’t stress too much about the exact location now. I don’t think anyone will come out and check to see if you moved it a few meters. Best man to advise will be the guy who is going to form the lane and dig the ground.

I see there is a proposed wall to the rear. So if you push the shed into one corner assuming you will want a small pedestrian path for access around the shed? I have seen people make use of the wall, to form the bottom half of the shed, but that would only work if you are pushing the shed back even further.
Cheers Gav. Planner is quite fussy about getting it right, she raised potential issues about selling up at a later date and picky solicitors finding issues with not being in the right place and having to reapply for planning. She has good track record of applications being passed.

l want some space behing the shed for a path and for maintenance, so the shed would be in front of the wall by a small amount.

Hard to gauge without actual measurements but if I were designing that shed I’d want a clean swing with a trailer into the shed,

Another thing although maybe aesthetically not as nice as curves but when you square it off kerbing etc everything is easier 😂 maybe even square it off with a bit of a curve to soften one corner.

Also the bit on the left? Is that just grass? Seems pointless I’d have it as part of the drive, also consider since you can easily at this stage design it so that an 8 wheeler lorry can get up, as you never know when it will come in handyView attachment 427125
Cheers Nicky, so that does make a bit more sense, and much easier to kerb off. Having a wider straighter driveway. I dont mind a wee bit of grass to plant a couple of trees to break up the shed a bit.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Chaps, was just moving stuff into the shed there and got a serious whiff of mould, looked up and the roof is sure enough covered in mould! The shed is lined with insulation and the roof is covered in unfinished 6mm plywood and I can see the mould has spread from above the door and moved back. The doors wouldn’t be the best sealed so I assume that is where the moisture is getting in.

What’s my best way of remedying this? Should I replace the mouldy plywood or run the heater for a good bit, dry it out and paint it?