Road legal quads - Advice?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

slag

RMS Regular
So I've been thinking about getting another toy for a while.

And I've kinda narrowed it down to a supermoto or quad, just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the quads or advice to offer about them? i.e. what model to go for, who covers them for insurance, reliability/parts availability etc.

The downsides I can already imagine are.. I'm guessing they are a complete peeler magnet and maybe harder to sell as there don't seem to be many for sale over here. Any info appreciated!

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
A friend has had one, imo they have to be built for the road and therefore aren't much use off road where they tend to be more fun
Still intend to have one myself in a few years, so long as you are legal and above board then go for it just be careful where you park it as it wouldn't be hard to steal

yamaharaptorturbo is the man to talk to about this

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
A friend has had one, imo they have to be built for the road and therefore aren't much use off road where they tend to be more fun
Still intend to have one myself in a few years, so long as you are legal and above board then go for it just be careful where you park it as it wouldn't be hard to steal

yamaharaptorturbo is the man to talk to about this

they usually will revert back to field use easily with a spare srt of knobbies , re adjust the shocks way you go.
they are not super on road, ok for short blasts , but wouldnt go any great road trips on one. should be pretty reliable tho if well maintained. not great on wide open roads as top speed will be screaming at about 80 depending on gearing. insurance can be expensive too depending on quad and your age. can be dangerous too unless you are competent with lack of rear diff on sport quad.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Rob on here had a 'road' spec raptor, it's was the worst thing I have ever driven, seriously scary! Not scary fast, when it was lower the tracking and bump steer from it made it impossible to ride... I reckon keep them for the fields!

Jason

RMS Regular
Anytime I had by banshee out a rip on road it was good enough craic but I wouldnt want one on it full time!! As mentioned at 80 its hairy lol

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
Rob on here had a 'road' spec raptor, it's was the worst thing I have ever driven, seriously scary! Not scary fast, when it was lower the tracking and bump steer from it made it impossible to ride... I reckon keep them for the fields!

thats because he did it on the cheap and turned the front rims around to widen it and give horrendious offset and a grim ride. done properly they can have geometry of any kit car.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
thats because he did it on the cheap and turned the front rims around to widen it and give horrendious offset and a grim ride. done properly they can have geometry of any kit car.

Also because the front arms where modified at the lower shock mount.. It was scary..

slag

RMS Regular
OP
slag
Weather protection of a bike, filtering ability of a car :confounded:

Like I said it would purely be a toy, not after practicality!

they usually will revert back to field use easily with a spare srt of knobbies , re adjust the shocks way you go.
they are not super on road, ok for short blasts , but wouldnt go any great road trips on one. should be pretty reliable tho if well maintained. not great on wide open roads as top speed will be screaming at about 80 depending on gearing. insurance can be expensive too depending on quad and your age. can be dangerous too unless you are competent with lack of rear diff on sport quad.

I had a supermoto and trail bike before and they aren't much use on a long run either to be fair, just looking for something to tear about on really. So if they are set up right for road use they handle dead on? Any recommendations for insurance companies dude?

yamaharaptorturbo sounds like trouble :p have you got a thread up about it?

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
Like I said it would purely be a toy, not after practicality!

I had a supermoto and trail bike before and they aren't much use on a long run either to be fair, just looking for something to tear about on really. So if they are set up right for road use they handle dead on? Any recommendations for insurance companies dude?

yamaharaptorturbo sounds like trouble :p have you got a thread up about it?

yeah, they handle pretty well when you ride them with aggression, they respond well to lots of body input. to turn well either slide the rear or lift inside wheel, both will probably earn you points but safer i found than the grabbing then turning then grabbing action the bike does when you ride into a corner half committed.. a front anti roll bar works wonders too, but ive not fitted one yet , not keen on extra weight, though ive herd they make great difference. they are great to go for a rip on twisty country roads on a sunny day, and just plain mad in the wet. you might as well be on ice! its a great feeling spinning the wheels out into nearly top gear drifting all the way! even pointing straight!, but again a license looser im with falcon insurance

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
wonder if this will be another of the periodic quad threads posted on here that go

"i want a quad!"
*checks insurance*
"i dont want a quad anymore"

lol

slag

RMS Regular
OP
slag
Found a few videos of your Raptor on YouTube yamaharaptorturbo that's not wise!! :p

wonder if this will be another of the periodic quad threads posted on here that go

"i want a quad!"
*checks insurance*
"i dont want a quad anymore"

lol

Lol forde well like I said only looking into it, haven't got a quote yet! Seen a few nice supermotos for sale too that don't seem to be big money. :grinning:

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
yeah supermotos are sweet too there was a nice yamaha one on nibikers there, id look into quad insurance before looking much further into actually getting one lol

slag

RMS Regular
OP
slag
Yeah I will definitely check out the insurance first.

I'd rather get a proper hardcore supermoto this time round if I was goin for one, had the XTX before and it was way too heavy to lift when I binned it! :p

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Yeah my old Raptor was a death trap, hasten to ad I bought it and didn't build it, was never so happy to get something sold, I regretted it from the minute I first had it!

Would like to see how a decent one goes on road but I would honestly just keep them for the dirt! Would still like another one actually!

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Had a Banshee and Z400, both were very unstable up round 80 on tar.
Bumpy, Hard to Steer, Light at the rear end...
Big Mudguards will leave you open to a lot of wind also!

They're made for the fields :grinning:

Also, the temptation to send the back end out at every junction would leave you a sitting duck for the law...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.