Road riders program

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
OP
Brian mc21
My dad n ray are still running their own wee shops mate. Galgorm n Ards.

It's still amazing when they get out on kirkistown together. Skipping past boys twice their age on bike half the power lol. They wind the clocks back ha!!
Good to hear they are stil spannering away. Superb.

yvo6

RMS Regular
Cheers for all the good wishes. I really love Road Racing and I think it shows.

If any of you are about the Cookstown paddock stop and say hello.

I am at the back row far corner - then up a bit lol

If you read the Cookstown 100 facebook, you will see Suzi Perry is over this weekend - the paddock will be a bit different from the MotoGP one!!!!

yvo6

RMS Regular
Unreal @yvo6, loved your feature, was literally smiling the whole way through it! Best of luck this season!

lol they didnt show the interview on a recap of the day at Tandragee when the QS got stuck on the 600 constantly cutting the engine!

Looking forward to dry racing at Cookstown :grinning:

Cunning

RMS Regular
lol they didnt show the interview on a recap of the day at Tandragee when the QS got stuck on the 600 constantly cutting the engine!

Looking forward to dry racing at Cookstown :grinning:

Good luck this weekend, hope it stays dry! Are you doing NW200?

yvo6

RMS Regular
Doubleband Films are making another one with the female riders Melissa, Veronika and Yvonne (me). Suzi Perry flew into Cookstown 100 Road Races on her way back from the Moto GP. See Twitter

A very nice lass who couldnt believe what Road Racing is like. She said she hadnt even been to the TT so this was a first for her to see racing on closed.roads.

C-lZ_4TXkAEPi-C.jpg

kristen

RMS Regular
Drives
Meganers250
@yvo6 well done looking well, can't wait to start doing the roads myself, love this programme

andyc1

RMS Member
I have a deep respect for anyone that races the roads... gonna get settled down with a cuppa for the 3rd instalment (y)

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
I loved the show as it showed the people you never get to see or pay attention to cause your to busy cheering on the big names :grinning:

yvo6

RMS Regular
Cookstown wasnt good for me! Practice went ok on both bikes and the Sen Supp race was Friday night. Just as we pushed the 600 onto the road a knock started in the engine so Game Over.

On Saturday the Supersport 400 class was Race 14 so late on in the day. I had just done one of the two sighting laps when the engine on the 400 had had enough and I pulled it in. At least the casings are intact nothing has tried to come out the side of it.

So these are the ups and downs of racing. Had a long yarn with Suzi who was a really nice lass.

Image is a bit blurred but i need a soft focus lol

IMG-20170429-WA0001.jpg

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
I've loved that program, shame on me I've never been to a road race outside of the NW200, once. I live less than 15 miles from both cookstown and tandragee so will have to rectify this.

I have no notion of becoming a road racer however I'm curious as to the costs involved and the process outside of the bike and gear costs? I assume you have to do some kind of a race licence? Surely not just any numpty can turn up and pay an entry fee to race? Can you do a single race or is it a season?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I've loved that program, shame on me I've never been to a road race outside of the NW200, once. I live less than 15 miles from both cookstown and tandragee so will have to rectify this.

I have no notion of becoming a road racer however I'm curious as to the costs involved and the process outside of the bike and gear costs? I assume you have to do some kind of a race licence? Surely not just any numpty can turn up and pay an entry fee to race? Can you do a single race or is it a season?

You need to experience one of the smaller races where you get that gritty, grassroots feeling that the TV show really captured so well. Where the paddock is just a muddy field and you still experience the 2 strokes and classics. For me personally it's very nostalgic of when I was a kid.

I'm not involved in racing at all but I do know that you need to have come up through some kind of circuit racing background and have competed in recent events before you can race on the road. As far as I know, road races are always stand alone events so there's no pressure on people to race for points at circuits they aren't comfortable with. Similar to how they campaigned to have the TT taken out of the F1/GP championship back in the day.

I'm sure someone who knows will be along soon.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I'd also love to know the path to take to get into racing! What are the basic steps @yvo6? How long did it take you from passing the test to deciding to go racing and then actually getting to race?

I had the bug before, but I think watching the Road Riders programme has really made me want to get on a track. Don't think I have the balls for road racing though!

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
I'd also love to know the path to take to get into racing! What are the basic steps @yvo6? How long did it take you from passing the test to deciding to go racing and then actually getting to race?

I had the bug before, but I think watching the Road Riders programme has really made me want to get on a track. Don't think I have the balls for road racing though!

I've no desire to go road racing, I admire the racers very much, truly, however I simply wouldn't have the cojones for it. Ideally, I think I'd like to rent a bike for a track day if such a service exists and see how that feels.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I've no desire to go road racing, I admire the racers very much, truly, however I simply wouldn't have the cojones for it. Ideally, I think I'd like to rent a bike for a track day if such a service exists and see how that feels.

I'm going to head across to Ron Haslam's school at Donnington later on this year when my work allows. Meant to be really good at picking up tips/advice etc, plus they supply bike and everything else needed. Will do the CBR600RR one first then go back for the Fireblade one I think.

No doubt i'll properly get the bug then and want to buy a track bike!

yvo6

RMS Regular
Hi Folks thanks for the various questions - be patient and i will try to answer all the questions and if i dont just remind me.

@Dusty - since you have missed the local races to you, definitely try to go to the Armoy Road Races 28th & 29 th July - Sat is race day. You can get 'up close' to the racing and the circuit has fast sections, jumps, twists and turns with good viewing.

The process to becoming a Road Racer starts with being a newcomer in racing in general. All those who are starting racing need to go to the Training School which has 3 sessions back in Feb/Mar. These are partly classroom and being on track with the Instructors. The classroom part does not tell you how to ride (you should know that) - but gives the information you need when competing. ie what happens when you arrive at your first short circuit race, what is scrutineering and what preparation you need for your bike to pass this. There are talks on nutrition, your kit and many other things. The compulsory part is the Flag Seminar and Anti Doping Seminar (riders can be tested anytime).

Here is a link will give more info HOW TO GET STARTED RACING

When you race for the first year you must wear newcomers vests. You are given a card which should be left with the timekeepers at each meeting to get your results recorded and signed - you need this for next year getting your licence.

After a year or two when you have competed at short circuit events you can apply for a road racing licence. If granted, you then get a restricted license which enables the rider to compete in the Junior or Senior support races - up to 750cc bikes. The following year you will be able to compete in other classes.

to be continued................ lol

yvo6

RMS Regular

There is someone who rents track bikes but i can t remember who they are.

Trackdays really do improve everyday riding (if you stay sensible!!) you get to know more about cornering, etc without all the hazzards of open roads - tractors, gravel on roads, cars, etc

Welcome to Kirkistown Track Days Official Website

also Banksy has created a webpage for trackriders

yvo6

RMS Regular
I'm going to head across to Ron Haslam's school at Donnington later on this year when my work allows. Meant to be really good at picking up tips/advice etc, plus they supply bike and everything else needed. Will do the CBR600RR one first then go back for the Fireblade one I think.

No doubt i'll properly get the bug then and want to buy a track bike!

I went to RH school on their 600 and had an absolute ball. it worked out that i got a 1 - 2 - 1 because the other person was only coming back to motorbikes, and there were enough 'spare' instructors to give us one each.

It is a good circuit and you will enjoy it. Be prepared for the Bug - it really bites hard lol

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
@yvo6 thanks for the above info, that's a great help! I'll definitely try to get to the training days next year, wanted to go this year but my work doesn't always permit.

I plan to get my bike to a few track days also this year as well as the RH school, so maybe pick up a cheap race bike over winter to do me next year :grinning:

Also totally different subject but am I right in thinking you may know my wife's parents(Wilson) and used to waterski at Lough Aghery? I've maybe got the wrong person lol, but i'm sure the father in law mentioned your name when talking about racing before?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.