Robot mower required

Cartunes

RMS Regular
OP
Cartunes
Drives
Schkodah
Big man, with your technical ability it would be wee buns for you to make your own!
I built a robot when living in Coventry a few years back before discovering Arduino or Raspberry Pi - and had to put it down humanely as I could as it always got stuck in corners! Imagine malfunctioning with a spinning blade? 8-|

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Had a good look at the huskies in Erwin's last week and they look the ticket plus it mulches so no more piles of grass cuttings and it works on a wet day.

Current ride on has too small a deck and takes about two hours for an average cut and a robot would be cheaper than a new ride on.
On the other hand the young fella is a year away from being sensible enough to use the mower so saves me the time and money. Hmm
Defo tempting way to go.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Hello Simon, or esteemed colleague. What have you in the way of Robot Mowers? The "lawn" is about 500 M2

500m2 isn’t massive, one of the smaller ones would do it. Our main lawnmower brands are Alko and Husqvarna, I’ll get you prices on some stuff. I’m not the worlds biggest robot mower fan for a few reasons, but on the right lawn in the right conditions they are good. I’ll pm you on Monday.

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
500m2 isn’t massive, one of the smaller ones would do it. Our main lawnmower brands are Alko and Husqvarna, I’ll get you prices on some stuff. I’m not the worlds biggest robot mower fan for a few reasons, but on the right lawn in the right conditions they are good. I’ll pm you on Monday.

@lightning could you pm some prices for robotic mowers? Needs to cover 3 lawns which together are maybe around 1500m2 combined.

Also what are the reasons you aren't a fan of them?

davyk31

RMS Regular
Had mine 4 years and it’s one of the best things I ever bought. Totally fantastic wee device and just works away. Grass looks freshly cut every day.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
3rd season this year..... Here's what just 1 year did for my lawn. Worth every penny.

48066463468_45948c2d9b_b.jpg

48231989431_590a2ef8fb_b.jpg

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Do people come out and survey the property to see what you would need? I have a feeling I would need one for the front and one for the back 8o|

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
They’ll only stroke it if they’ve got cataracts. Otherwise, it’s highly unlikely they’ll confuse it for a pet.

On a serious note - aren’t they alarmed or something like that?

The Husqvarnas are certainly alarmed. They're also locked to the base station loop. You'd need to know the PIN number to lock it to a new base. The only way to change the PIN would be via a service centre where they have the proper software. That software, is dealer only and you can't get copies of it - it authenticates with Husqvarna and needs a dealer login.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Do people come out and survey the property to see what you would need? I have a feeling I would need one for the front and one for the back 8o|

Yes a good dealer will come and make their recommendation for what you need. I stress the “good” dealer bit nd as we are fairly local I’m happy to give you a recommendation if you PM me. I have 2 separate areas and the mower can be programmed to go between the two areas. It is very simple if grass joins the two parts but the cables can also be put under a drive or path so the mower goes to the second area. I tarmaced a thin strip over my drive and put the cables under so the mower just goes over when it needs to.
I was apprehensive about whether a robot would be a good job but needn’t have worried as it’s a fantastic bit of kit and money well spent.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740

Yes we come out and do a lawn survey and suggest what, if any, robot is best for the lawn and what ground work would be required before fitment day. Your Coleraine yeah? That's outside our area, I'm not sure if Gareth from Stockmans in Tobermore goes to Coleraine but he's a top man and would be the person I send people up the country to. Other than that it would be Mcllraths in Kilrea. Sometimes their phone manor can be off but they've been at it the longest and can put them in blindfolded.

I generally don't go past 15 miles as by the time I run up to do a survey, 2 of us out fitment day, and usually another run to sort niggles normally made by the customer doing something stupid, then its literally not worth it. I'll make the odd exception, got a stunning house in Cushendall recently thru recommendation that was overlooking the bay and required 4 large robots, obviously that was worth the running about, plus it was his holiday house so I knew I'd get his properties in Cultra when he saw how well they worked.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Yes we come out and do a lawn survey and suggest what, if any, robot is best for the lawn and what ground work would be required before fitment day. Your Coleraine yeah? That's outside our area, I'm not sure if Gareth from Stockmans in Tobermore goes to Coleraine but he's a top man and would be the person I send people up the country to. Other than that it would be Mcllraths in Kilrea. Sometimes their phone manor can be off but they've been at it the longest and can put them in blindfolded.

I generally don't go past 15 miles as by the time I run up to do a survey, 2 of us out fitment day, and usually another run to sort niggles normally made by the customer doing something stupid, then its literally not worth it. I'll make the odd exception, got a stunning house in Cushendall recently thru recommendation that was overlooking the bay and required 4 large robots, obviously that was worth the running about, plus it was his holiday house so I knew I'd get his properties in Cultra when he saw how well they worked.

What a view! I'm Ballymoney but it would be the new year before I'll be in the market now. Havent decided if a new ride or or a robot would be the better job for us yet.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Another vote for Gareth in Stockmans Tobermore and yes they would come to Ballymoney. The second suggestion lightning made I would avoid even though more local but have known of a few very poor fittings by them and poor customer service. Stockman are top notch and nothing is too much bother for them. Also cheaper!!

Unless your lawn is very complex a robot will do a great job. I recommended one to my brother in law after he used a ride on for years and they have a lot of trees and flower beds but he is delighted with the job it is doing. Problem with the ride on is you still need to find the time and weather to cut and dispose of the clippings, with the robot none of that matters and you just let it work away all year round no matter the weather.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
It's worth your while using the spatial NI website map viewer to draw round the area of your lawns from above. It'll give you an exact square meters area and an exact perimeter value for your guide wires.

An installer won't need this of course, but it's interesting to do yourself in advance. Let's you see what size automower you need for the job in hand.

Heres the link: OSNI Spatial NI - Map Viewer

Side question for the installers: can a remote software/firmware update be done by a dealer using something like team viewer (happy to pay) or must a Husqvarna go to a service centre for this? I strip and clean my husqvarna 105 myself but wouldn't mind paying for a software health check.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
@davyk31 could you PM that recommendation you mentioned. My old ride on is now an ornament so it has forced my hand. Need to get a survey done to see if they recommend a robot mower or not.

Jecks

RMS Regular
What are these robot mowers like in the wet? Clog easily?
Any recommendations for approx 2-3000sqm lawn, flat with a few obstacles ( pond, rockery etc )
Was looking at the husqvarna models, any others worth considering?

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
What are these robot mowers like in the wet? Clog easily?
Any recommendations for approx 2-3000sqm lawn, flat with a few obstacles ( pond, rockery etc )
Was looking at the husqvarna models, any others worth considering?

They have a rain sensor so don't go out in torrential rain but they only take a fraction of length off every pass so its not really an issue. They are out hours per day every day rather than have one day to get it all done. Husqvarna is the only choice for many reasons. Everyone else is playing catch up. You'd need at least a 430x for that size.