Rust inside tank

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I’ve had my 2006 F4i now for a few years.
Bike is basically concours condition but one thing that bugged me was the spots of rust I could see inside the tank.

Had a spare hour last night so I decided to drain and strip the tank with a view to remedying the rust issue.

Low and behold when I removed the fuel pump the gauze was absolutely caked in fragments of rust.

Couldn’t believe it especially considering how well the bike had been looked after otherwise.

I can only assume the previous owner drained the tank over the winter and left it empty (the opposite of what you should do).

I have a new fuel filter, tank gasket, banjo o rings etc ordered from Fowlers.

Can anyone recommend a good product for killing the rust inside the tank?

I’ve seen American videos of products on YouTube but they don’t seem to be available over here.

IMG_7565.jpeg

IMG_7566.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7564.jpeg
    IMG_7564.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 0

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Have seen fellas using evaporust on rusty fuel tanks. I bought a gallon of it in the range for about £40 there a few months ago

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Have seen fellas using evaporust on rusty fuel tanks. I bought a gallon of it in the range for about £40 there a few months ago

That’s a great shout actually, never thought of Evaporust. We stock that if you need any @gcon45 , but maybe you stock it yourself too.

I would imagine it would still need sealed afterwards though. Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 or the likes perhaps

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Removed the fuel filter last night and clean petrol was dripping from the outlet pipe while brown petrol was dripping from the inlet pipe so (visually speaking at least) the filter was still doing its job.

Probably wouldn’t have been that long before the filter became blocked I’d say though.

New filter and seals came in the post:
IMG_7645.jpeg

That’s a great shout actually, never thought of Evaporust. We stock that if you need any @gcon45 , but maybe you stock it yourself too.

I would imagine it would still need sealed afterwards though. Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 or the likes perhaps

No we don’t keep it Graeme so will have to get some off you. Do you keep it in 5L jars?
Do you also keep the likes of POR15?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Removed the fuel filter last night and clean petrol was dripping from the outlet pipe while brown petrol was dripping from the inlet pipe so (visually speaking at least) the filter was still doing its job.

Probably wouldn’t have been that long before the filter became blocked I’d say though.

New filter and seals came in the post:
View attachment 423908

No we don’t keep it Graeme so will have to get some off you. Do you keep it in 5L jars?
Do you also keep the likes of POR15?

I have Evaporust in 5L yeah, but no POR15, we used to stock it but not anymore.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Sealed the fuel pump hole with a gaiter and loads of tyre bead seal (rubberised paint).

Filled the 5L into the tank and leaving the tank in each position for 24hrs to allow it to soak in each area.

Will report back later in the week!
IMG_7661.jpeg

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
In two minds about coating the inside of the fuel tank now. Spoke to a few people including a mate who works in paintbox and they say that the likes of POR15 can flake off with rust forming behind it.

The bike will always be in a warm, dehumidified garage when not being used and I only use BP Ultimate 97 (E5) so rust may not be an issue going forward?

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Only getting back to this now!

Turns out that the rust pieces found in the tank had to have come from a fuel container that the previous owner used 😬
Can’t believe someone would use petrol from a rusty can in such a nice bike.

There is a bit of corrosion inside the tank but it’s an only light surface corrosion and if anything it’s probably less than the average 18 year old bike would have (see photos).

I’ve been trying to reach in with a Scotchbrite (wire wool) pad and rub some of it away.
It’s not easy as my hand barely fits through the fuel pump hole and I’m working blind trying to get into the nooks and crannies.
Difficult to apply much pressure in places.

I think I’m going to rub it down as best as I can then flush the tank a few times with isopropanol alcohol and just build it back up again.

IMG_8224.jpeg

IMG_8225.jpeg

IMG_8226.jpeg

IMG_8227.jpeg

IMG_8228.jpeg

chrisQ

RMS Regular
I've an old 1977 honda lying here and inside the tank was surface rust. Fella who restores bikes regularly told me to fill the tank with white vinegar and some salt and leave it as long as I can. Bought 4 5l containers of white vinegar of amazon for under £20 and left it for about a week and tank was immaculate inside after. Rinsed out with soapy water after and dried out with airline then coated inside the tank with a small amount of 2 stroke oil/petrol mix, just enough to coat it and 2 months later tank is still mint inside.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
The saga is nearly over!
Scrubbed the interior of the tank as best as I could then treated it again with Evaporust.
Was a bit of a pain as I had to flush it out with isopropyl alcohol in between times or flash rusting would occur.
Starting to look the job now:
IMG_8615.jpeg

IMG_8617.jpeg

IMG_8618.jpeg

IMG_8620.jpeg

IMG_8623.jpeg