Rust Repair.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bobski

RMS Member
OP
Bobski
Drives
Ford Focus
At least you have the advantage that it's not in the most noticeable place for a diy job, if the colour match or job itself aren't to good it will be less noticeable than say a wing or door . You are correct until you start working at it you wont really know how bad it is. You can guess buy pushing on it with you finger, if it feels a bit crunchy and soft you may have a worse than you think

I get you. Its hard/solid to the touch.And I get the felling its surface rust. I will look into it and probably give it ago myself :grinning:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Welcome along (y).

Ill be honest, 120quid is very cheap for someone to do that.

Even to do it yourself, by the time you buy sandpaper, rust killer, fillers, a can of primer, 2 cans of matched paint and can of lacquer you are chatting the guts of 50 quid in parts alone....granted you would nearly be able to do both sides for that.

Bobski

RMS Member
OP
Bobski
Drives
Ford Focus
Welcome along (y).

Ill be honest, 120quid is very cheap for someone to do that.

Even to do it yourself, by the time you buy sandpaper, rust killer, fillers, a can of primer, 2 cans of matched paint and can of lacquer you are chatting the guts of 50 quid in parts alone....granted you would nearly be able to do both sides for that.

I was actually thinking of the costs. I suppose it will be an experience that ill have for the future reference :grinning: I think I have to see how bad it is and if its eaten into the metal.
Thanks for the Welcome (y)

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
If you are confident and handy enough with your hands doing it yourself will be rewarding.....and you will know it's done right.

Use a light wire brush attachment for a drill to take it back to metal to save the arms and take it all back to bare metal. If it's just surface rust you can use a rust killer on the fresh metal you have exposed, fill it back up with a light skin of fillers and sandpaper, then use rattle cans of primer, paint and lacquer.

I'd probably allow a day and a half to do it, allowing for the fillers and paint to dry between layers etc

Bobski

RMS Member
OP
Bobski
Drives
Ford Focus
If you are confident and handy enough with your hands doing it yourself will be rewarding.....and you will know it's done right.

Use a light wire brush attachment for a drill to take it back to metal to save the arms and take it all back to bare metal. If it's just surface rust you can use a rust killer on the fresh metal you have exposed, fill it back up with a light skin of fillers and sandpaper, then use rattle cans of primer, paint and lacquer.

I'd probably allow a day and a half to do it, allowing for the fillers and paint to dry between layers etc

Great tips, thanks. I think the bit that most worries me is the paint, trying to get it matching the colour of car. Going to have a wee jook at youtube. Thanks again

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
There are motor factors that can make up aerosols to match the paint code of your car.

I don't know anywhere in Belfast does it though, I think Halfords might but they will be expensive.

Bobski

RMS Member
OP
Bobski
Drives
Ford Focus
There are motor factors that can make up aerosols to match the paint code of your car.

I don't know anywhere in Belfast does it though, I think Halfords might but they will be expensive.

Yeah, want to spend least as possible. was thinking to spray both sills black. Do you think that would look awful? matches the wheels and black plastic

Bobski

RMS Member
OP
Bobski
Drives
Ford Focus
hahahah! Thanks, straight to the point!

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
A rattle can will look like **** all and will stick out like a sore thumb to a buyer.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Have a crack with aerosols & take your time. You'll be surprised at how well a job can come out if you prep it properly. If it looks pants go to plan B and get the black stonechip out. I've painted a good few sills black over the years and don't think it looks too bad tbh. It certainly looks a lot better than rust.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
its a £1000 car.
and this is why i dont think most people can argue about a spot of rust, especially when most out there at that money and age will not be much different.

Personally if you've just sunk that much money into brakes and bits and if theres some healthy MOT and tax just batter on and get your moneys worth and sell up next year. Even if you've to drop a couple of hundred off the selling price its probably no different than getting this work done only you've saved yourself some hassle.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
If its not rusted through, then rub down and respray DIY job.
What you will learn along the way will be more than worth it.

Colin Adam motorparts can mix paints

Bobski

RMS Member
OP
Bobski
Drives
Ford Focus
Thanks for all the reply's guys. I will have a go myself. I watched that many vids on youtube last night, I feel as if Ive done it before! lol It seems simple enough. And as someone said before, its the sill, so if colour doesn't match exactly,It wont look to bad.
Of to get a drill attachment :grinning:
What about working in rain. If it needed filler ,could i just cover with a good old plastic bag, or im better waiting for dry weather?
Thx all

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
You would need dry weather to allow the paint to bond and dry,
If there is a small hole it could be filled up with isopon p40 and smoothed with isopon p40, but if there is a hole it has rusted through and this method will be a coverup rather than a cure.

Bobski

RMS Member
OP
Bobski
Drives
Ford Focus
You would need dry weather to allow the paint to bond and dry,
If there is a small hole it could be filled up with isopon p40 and smoothed with isopon p40, but if there is a hole it has rusted through and this method will be a coverup rather than a cure.

Yeah, I want to do a good job. I wont know until i ground it down(rust) I will keep you all upto date and be back for advice :grinning:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Bobski my friend, you're about to enter a world of pain...

worldofpain.JPG

Bobski

RMS Member
OP
Bobski
Drives
Ford Focus
DaddyC,as the dude would say : Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. lol Great Film BTW

I got some pics and gona upload in a min. Job might bigger than I thought ...

trying to upload but pics are over 250kb...

Bobski

RMS Member
OP
Bobski
Drives
Ford Focus
Here we go.

Attachments

• DSCF2035.JPG
    DSCF2035.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF2037.JPG
    DSCF2037.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF2038.JPG
    DSCF2038.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF2039.JPG
    DSCF2039.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF2040.JPG
    DSCF2040.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 79
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.