Rusty Spring Lads

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Fella118

Banned
Aright lads, I've got this corroded spring on my Yaris 1.4d and the mechanic told me to get a new one when he fitted the same top strut mount.

I'd just wondered what you guys think? Could I get away with lightly sanding it and applying some Jenolite and Rustoleum spray? Or do you think its too far gone? It feels perfect to drive.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20181128_013152.jpg
    20181128_013152.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 20181128_013226.jpg
    20181128_013226.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 435

Fella118

Banned
OP
Fella118
Warren, Phil and Smurf, thank you all so much! I was quite worried about this because my mechanic charged me £80 labour and £65 for the top strut mount + 20% vat = £174 already. He only knocked it down to £160 when I paid cash and he told me that no one had a spring because mine was corroded. Incidentally, I did supply him with a top strut mount which I bought for £25 but he said it was the wrong one. 2 Years ago he said the same for a water pump I supplied him with, the bill came to £174 total ( what a coincidence! ) and he knocked it down to £160 for cash! I've only used him these 2 times, but he seemed like such a nice old guy, he was very accommodating and polite to me. Such a strange world, other mechanics whom have been rude were at least honest in their work. I've had my Yaris 1.4 for 3 years now, I had to change 1 coil spring at the front ( other side ) , 2 anti roll bar bushes ( had polyurethane ones put on ), water pump and the top strut mount. I thought that was a lot! I used to be a taxi driver and I had a Nissan Primera 1.8 petrol , manual, with 70k. When I finished taxi driving it had done 180k ( in just 2 years! ) In that time I had 2 wishbones, a driveshaft, clutch and 2 anti roll bar bushes and some brake pads, 2 front tyres. You won't believe me but the rear tyres still had 2.5 mm left on them after 110k - never having to change them. It's quite interesting seeing the difference in all these things.

colin84

RMS Regular
Warren, Phil and Smurf, thank you all so much! I was quite worried about this because my mechanic charged me £80 labour and £65 for the top strut mount + 20% vat = £174 already. He only knocked it down to £160 when I paid cash and he told me that no one had a spring because mine was corroded. Incidentally, I did supply him with a top strut mount which I bought for £25 but he said it was the wrong one. 2 Years ago he said the same for a water pump I supplied him with, the bill came to £174 total ( what a coincidence! ) and he knocked it down to £160 for cash! I've only used him these 2 times, but he seemed like such a nice old guy, he was very accommodating and polite to me. Such a strange world, other mechanics whom have been rude were at least honest in their work. I've had my Yaris 1.4 for 3 years now, I had to change 1 coil spring at the front ( other side ) , 2 anti roll bar bushes ( had polyurethane ones put on ), water pump and the top strut mount. I thought that was a lot! I used to be a taxi driver and I had a Nissan Primera 1.8 petrol , manual, with 70k. When I finished taxi driving it had done 180k ( in just 2 years! ) In that time I had 2 wishbones, a driveshaft, clutch and 2 anti roll bar bushes and some brake pads, 2 front tyres. You won't believe me but the rear tyres still had 2.5 mm left on them after 110k - never having to change them. It's quite interesting seeing the difference in all these things.

I would be looking for another mechanic.

Appearances mean nothing, I had on old guy do a service on my car years ago, a friend was using him and he seemed like a decent sort, so I thought I would give him some work. He tried to charge me £180 for an oil change a VW Bora, and I was supplying the parts. Needless to say that was the end of that

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
When you go to someone who looks like you should give them some work, there's usually a reason why they look like they need the work.

Fella118

Banned
OP
Fella118
I would be looking for another mechanic.

Appearances mean nothing, I had on old guy do a service on my car years ago, a friend was using him and he seemed like a decent sort, so I thought I would give him some work. He tried to charge me £180 for an oil change a VW Bora, and I was supplying the parts. Needless to say that was the end of that

Yes, its strange Colin, I have had the same experience with these old guys. I don't know, maybe the industry is corrupt and you're supposed to find something else when you are older?

Fella118

Banned
OP
Fella118
Yes, I think he would have charged me an extra 1/2 hour or more to fit the spring as well as his mark up for the part, so like 2-2/1/2 hours to supply + fit ; top strut mount and spring!

Fella118

Banned
OP
Fella118
Saw the thread title and thought this was about a Mid Ulster boy band.

Woodcutter, I was actually talking about the mechanics at the garage, that's the band his workers are in! They take their tops off in the middle of winter and work on the cars with one of their trouser legs rolled up. They sing Cliff Richard because they can't think up any of their own lyrics and they want to appeal to the young ladies with a clean cut image. Needless to say they don't get much work done, I think that's where the boss gets this thing of trying to charge people for the springs from!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.