S5 vs M2 vs C43 amg

Horizonzero

RMS Regular
I am beside myself, in the fortunate position to be able to afford one of the three cars.

I've test drove an S4 and an M2 competition and I've booked to do the c43 but I am none the wiser.

The S5 is the most capable with its insane cabin that feels special as soon as you sit in and range of driving modes but it lacks that connection to the road, the dynamic steering is god awful and I feel as If when I start to push it even more I'll grow to not like it having been used to RWD for years.

The M2 is vicious and wants to go every time but can it be used as a daily driver all year round - can you take it on a weekend trip? - it's also the most shouty and obnoxious car - it just screams I'm special in comparison.

This sounds like a first world problem but I'd love to get the opinion of other owners/ people who have went down this avenue.

MarkM

RMS Regular
S5 is Vag so an immediate not a ****ing chance lol

M2 is compromised, power, a short wheel base chassis and pretty ugly from the rear

C43 is a fantastic car, really surprised me, would need to be the facelift though with performance seats, heavy but hide it well and sound great

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Out of that choice id go m2 unless you have kids or need 4 doors. RS3 is a good shout! F30 M3 not tickle your fancy?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I test drove a few M2’s before buying the M4. I loved the look of the M2 but the M4 seemed like a better allrounder.

Have driven a C43 too, it surprised me how good it was and it sounds fantastic with the 6 pot which I also wasn’t expecting lol

MarkM

RMS Regular
Not sure he’s got a vagina.

2B6C0C84-C854-4C5E-A63D-FDA4802FD614.jpeg

RevT

RMS Regular
Personally, the S5 is sh*te looking and boring and the C43 is slightly girly or something for me. I love M2’s though, especially in LBB, proper stance and look purposeful.

mic

RMS Regular
Drives
Stelvio & VW
I faced the same dilemma a few months back. Basically similar choice, 340i, s4, or c43. I had a s4 before and whilst chuckable, fot me it felt too light. The bmw is capable but in the end i opted for a c43. Very high spec with the only option not ticked was heads up display. What swayed me was the cabin finish and how it can put the power down from a standing start. It is quite a heavy car and you do notice that if pushing on with tight corners. There are 5 driving modes, selectable independant damping, sport setting on the traction control and as much power you need. Only downside is that its fitted with original bridgestone runflats which i intend to change to ps4 when worn. The deciding factor for me was that i wanted a fast, practical, usable daily car which this ticked all boxes, in comfort and eco mode its very sublime.. Slip it into sport + and it becomes an animal with pops and bangs. Neither of the other cars offered such a variance in choice. The car is a jekyll and Hyde driving experience when the mood takes. IMO the M2 is a bit boy racer, shouting all the time. Again depending on circumstances not a practical family car

mic

RMS Regular
Drives
Stelvio & VW
If bought from mercedes it will have a full 2 year amg warranty. I also recommend taking a service plan for the length time you intend to own it. I think its £40 per month and will cover all service items including brake fluid, coolant, gearbox and diff services. In addition it renews the lifetime mobilo warranty and recovery. I dont think any other manufacturer offers that after the first year.

Horizonzero

RMS Regular
OP
Horizonzero
M2.

Would you not go RS3 instead of the S5? Or TTRS?
If bought from mercedes it will have a full 2 year amg warranty. I also recommend taking a service plan for the length time you intend to own it. I think its £40 per month and will cover all service items including brake fluid, coolant, gearbox and diff services. In addition it renews the lifetime mobilo warranty and recovery. I dont think any other manufacturer offers that after the first year.
It'll be a 16/17 reg for a c43 so hoping to attain some form of 3rd party warranty

I really don't like the RS3 shape as a hatchback + your looking 40 grand+ for a saloon across the water

mic

RMS Regular
Drives
Stelvio & VW
My own car is 67 reg. I looked for 6 months and weighed up various options. I accept that non franchised dealers will be slightly cheaper but when the warranty costs are factored in there is not as much difference as you think. One thing to watch on 2017 cars fall into the newer tax bracket , i think mine is just shy of £500 yr

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
I know it's not comparing apples with apples but for what you're going to pay for one of the above cars you could get something a little bit older, rarer and something that might even appreciate.

Depreciation on one of those should easily cover the upkeep on something older too. Not quite sure on budget but up to 40k buys:

997 gts manual
R8 manual
996 turbo
Cayman gts manual
M3 V8 comp manual