Serious accident Rally Wales

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
From the BBC:

Michael Park, co-driver for Markko Martin has died after an accident on stage 15 of Wales Rally GB.

Inital reports say that the car hit a tree on the passenger side, where Park was sitting.

The rally has been halted.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
:eek:

thats terrible!, makes you think, no matter how much protection you have (Helmet, roll cage, door bars, harness's, bucket seats) nothing will stop the enivitable!

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
Very bad day for motorsport. Just recieved a tx from my mate that Richard Britten (bike road racer) from here also has died. Not sure of the details of what happened to him. :worried: :worried:

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
sideways365 said:
Its the first death in the wrc in 12years.

I think that figure is testament to the skill of the drivers and the safety of the cars, but in some circumstances all the safety precautions in the world cant prevent a fatality. :worried:

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Indeed a very sad day for rallying. It just goes to show how dangerous motorsport is, but thats why the cars are bulit to very strict FIA regulations. Anyone thinking of getting involved in motorsport, please don't scrimp on the safety features. RIP Michael and Richard

linda:-)

RMS Member
Drives
VW Poslow
moretto said:
truely shocking news

dont expect this in modern day rallying

my thoughts exactly

its a stark reminder that as a driver you're not only putting your own life at risk but that also of your navigator. Dont think I'd b able to llive with myself if something I did killed my navigator, makes me fell sick just thinking bout it! Two sets of families would b devastated, not just your own. Thoughts and prayers with Marko Martin.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
WOW I really didnt think competitor fatalities were possible with the safety of nowadays. Look at what solberg walked away from a while back!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Graham said:
couldn't believe this news when i got it, real sad day for rallying

totally. dad sent me a message this morning, couldnt believe it.

bob

RMS Regular
Very sad sad day for motorsport and both familys, my thoughts go out.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
sideways365 said:
Its the first death in the wrc in 12years.

was trying to find this out earlier - that is a long time!

wish it went on tho - sad day indeed!!

POD

RMS Regular
A sad day for all forms of motorsport.

although it is the first death in rallying there have been quite a few serious incidents in the last number of years including some of which involved cars hitting trees side on. iirc 1 of more recent inicedents was armin swartes in the skoda, and 1 of the evo's craching into trees injuring the co-drivers

J8MCG

RMS Regular
deepest condolences to michael's family & friends & markko. a great loss to the rallying world!!.
RIP

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.