Skoda Kodiaq Opinions

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I have been looking at these for a while now as a replacement for the Ateca. We would like something a bit bigger with baby number 2 on the way and the wife likes having something a bit higher than an estate car.

Anyone on here own one and if so what are your thoughts on them? It would most likely be a Sportline I would be after.

Any particular engines to avoid? (We have the 2.0 TDI 150 in the Ateca and personally I think it would be a bit underpowered in something bigger like a Kodiaq).

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
We have the VRS in work and it’s a popular choice despite being underpowered compared with our other fleet options (Golf R and M135)

Comfortable, good seating position, well finished and quite spacious especially rear leg room (as most Skodas are)

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I'd a 1.4tsi DSG SEL 4X4, really never gelled with. Box wasn't up to much and it was thirsty for all it ever did. Well kitted out, cheap to service and well built in it's favour.

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I'd a 1.4tsi DSG SEL 4X4, really never gelled with. Box wasn't up to much and it was thirsty for all it ever did. Well kitted out, cheap to service and well built in it's favour.
I would probably be after a manual if possible.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
and the wife likes having something a bit higher than an estate car.

All women like "a jeepy thing" , I don't get it.
They say I like to be able to see out better but a small hatchback with a short bonnet is where its at if you want that.
All women like "a jeepy thing" , I don't get it.
They say I like to be able to see out better but a small hatchback with a short bonnet is where its at if you want that.

Mk5 golf gti? 👍 🙈

Reactions: DC.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
It’s going to be a slightly bigger Ateca and likely a little more basic inside depending on the spec level of your Ateca if it’s like for like spec level.

I’ve a Karoq and it’s spot on, Kodiaq is what I wanted but ended up with a good deal on the Karoq.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Personally I think current Skodas are now more luxurious than the equivalent Seat. I’ve noticed that over the last few years.

Kodiaq seems like a decent car. I was looking at them too, but all fuel economy seems to be woeful. Not quick either.

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
The sportline models seem to be a nice mix of cosmetic touches and kit levels.

To be fair, it's mainly for family duties so space, comfort and well equipped are the priorities. I'm happy with 30-40mpg. Our Ateca is loaded with kit but it isn't quick.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Missus has a 190 sportline kodiaq from new it’s now just over 3.5 years old and nearing 60k

Has been great… Altho she took the extended 5 year warranty which has been a good move, it’s had two secondary water pumps (cheap plastic bearing and propeller tat, had one on my superb aswell)

Also in last few months a dsg gearbox replaced due to cracked casing…

Otherwise it’s been fantastic, goes well enuff for size of it and drives nicely Altho she had it into audio advice after she got it for audio upgrades too

Think she averages about 35mpg mixed driving but she has a big roofbox on 24/7 top prob doesn’t do any favours

She had my tuning box on a while too and enjoyed that lol

technics100

RMS Regular
Drives
Sportline 2.0t
Kodiaq is a great motor and hard to fault.. with 3 kids it's great having the extra row of seats just to split them up. I went from a 2018 Superb Sportline 2.0Tsi 220bhp to a 1.5 Tsi SE L, and had actually never driven or sat in a kodiaq before I got it (due to Covid).. I was worried about missing the extra power (I had the Superb boxed up to 295bhp) and also missing all the sportline goodies - larger screen, black headlining etc.. but in reality doesn't really make much odds.. the 1.5 Tsi is fine and nippy enough for scooting about, it also tows our caravan really well. I've had the Kodiaq from new and have just over 20k on it in 20 months, the one thing that annoys me is the fuel economy.. I've logged every tank from new and it's done 32.1mpg average.. it is getting better but it's not great.. Both Skodas have been DSG and I added the adaptive cruise on the kodiaq which is great. If you want a poke about mine or a drive in it just let me know..

My lease is up next July and I'll happily order another one with the 1.5 engine and SE L, although Sportline would be great but the lease costs are daft at the minute..

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
Huge step up from the Seat. They're great cars. We've a 7 seater 2.0 manual diesel,150bhp sportline and it's faultless driving. Plenty of power, huge boot, loads of room for the kids, super quiet and smooth ride.

Word of warning though, there was some early 7 seater, 2.0 manual diesel 150bhp that Skoda didn't rate to tow so you can't put a tow bar on it. The door plate states 0kg capacity. It's fixed now but just take note if you're buying 2nd hand.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Any further real world opinion on these now alot more time has passed since the original post? Looking at 1.5tsi and prices are starting to look more sensible now the covid boom is over.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I done 900 miles in a Seat Tarraco with the 1.5tsi evo engine and manual 'box. Averaged 35mpg on a two week stint on the mainland. If that info is any way helpful.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Any further real world opinion on these now alot more time has passed since the original post? Looking at 1.5tsi and prices are starting to look more sensible now the covid boom is over.
Decent big car, good room, anything SE Drive and above decently equipped, the 1.5tsi is now on 140k belt changes, £180 a year tax and averages mid to high 30s in everyday use. I’ve had 2, a DSG 1.4 SEL and an SE Drive 1.5 manual. Avoid the SE if you want any sort of spec.
Servicing is cheap enough, running costs in general are easy lived with.
My old one is in Bells Crossgar for sale at the minute, I traded it in mid March. Has 2 dealer services left on the deal and warranty until next July with Skoda and I put a pair of Pirelli Scorpions on it just before it went🤷 It’s the RRZ one if you’re looking one.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Thanks for the info.

At the early stages of looking. I have a Karoq at the moment but the bigger boot & option of extra seats (albeit they are pretty small) if we need to bring an extra person would be good.

Ideally will be looking 1.5, DSG and under 25k miles.

I have spied one that fits the bill but just in the process of moving jobs after being made redundant so will hold fire until I’m settled in my new job!