Smacked The Car :(

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Gees lad, was only a question...:scream:

Something was going to brake no matter.

Unable to stop while going forward, so you want to use all your force to throw it into reverse to slow you down...? I'd like to see how that would end up...

Letting off the brakes to allow the wheels to gain a bit of traction on the slippery surface and then then applying a little bit less pressure enabling you to steer would be your best bet, controlling where you end up, instead of wanting to lose traction altogether by making the wheels spin backwards (and likely f##k the car up in the process).

5gtt

RMS Regular
Drives
Bora TDi 150
by the photos its hit hard enough. def needs door and its touch and go for a sill or quarter panel. if it was me i would taking it to someone who knows what they are doing and not joe bloggs in a backstreet garage that offers to repair most of damage to save money. I wouldnt touch a job that size at home

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
Just as well you can fix cars that arnt recorded!...... :p

Bad luck chap, expensive day but sure hardly the end of the world!

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
OP
StephenMcC
Drives
VW CC
Crawfords Accident Repair Will Most Likely Be Working On It, They've Done Alot Of Painting For My Family (Keyed My Dads Old M3, Done The Dash Panels In My Old MR2, And A Full Respray On The Old Celica Convertible, Plus Alot More For Other Members Of The Family..)

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Is the floorpan damaged where that has been pushed in? Thats looks like an expensive job tbh to make sure it's fixed correctly.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
ulrich100 said:
Gees lad, was only a question...:scream:

Something was going to brake no matter.

Keep your foot gently on the throttle and brake with the left foot.

Slow the car down without allowing the wheels to lock.

Go out and practise on the flat stuff. Saved my ass a few times, but then so have hedgerows.

Aim for the thick fluffy/icy stuff in the muddle too. Uneven surface will help you brake better than a polished sheet ice surface.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Keep your foot gently on the throttle and brake with the left foot.

Just be careful the rear doesn't lock if FWD (unless you want it to :p)

Spent the greater part of my youth left foot braking round industrial estates on the ice :party:

Find myself firing the brakes on these days when I don't need to just to test the traction, gives a fairly good gauge as to how the grip is when you do need to slow up.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Balls lad, get her on the WAND! (y):p

We're talking FWD's here, for getting from place to place...

Smoking round the roads on a night like that in a good ol' Datsun would be for no purpose at all, other than to go home smiling (regardless of how the quarters look by home time lol)...

STE_vie

RMS Regular
go throught your insurance mate. Its only light panel damage but itll be done right with the proper parts. Crawfords is a reputable enough garage but go through your policy. thats why you pay your premiums each year

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
I'd actualy recommend the opposite, if you cam afford to fix it without insurance that's the way I'd go. You'l pay more in increased premiums probably in the first year than the the difference between the bill and the excess, depends on your age and what not obviously.

robbiers2000

RMS Regular
Drives
ford focus tdci
to be honest i would go with crawfords. they done some work for me through RAM and there work is brilliant, plus they stand by there work for 3/5 years (i think) which is a bonus

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
OP
StephenMcC
Drives
VW CC
im 19, 11 months driving, r plates off on the 13th janurary, insurance is up on the 21st of janurary,

im thinking not insurance route lol

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
Yea, unfortunately I'd doubt they would even insure you next year if you claimed, pay the bill and put it down to experience.

STE_vie

RMS Regular
i would disagree with john and paul. People are **** scared of their insurance premiums going up but they dont go up that much because of one claim. Half the country have no no claims and can still pay their premiums. if you go down the non insurance route on a job costing 1200 why bother to pay the premium in the first place? i coudl see through it possibly if was a 300 job.

i had an accident when i was 17, got scared and paid for it out of my pocket like your suggesting. regret it to this day.

Only thing is your excess is quite high so im maybe presuming that you had probs getting insurance in the first place. Weigh up the options and ring the insurance company and explain the situation and ask how much your premiums will increase by and for how long.. and do the maths

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
Stevie I'd see your point if his excess was £200, but even if it 'only' put his premium up £400 or so in the first year it's starting to get pretty marginal and it's a years no claims lost for the sake of a month. On a 1.6 civic he's probably paying through the nose and a percentage rise will affect him more than the likes of you of me. But that's just my opinion.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Suppose its one of those things we can't really comment on as everyone is different when it comes to insurance. Main thing is he gets sorted with good standard work for as little £ loss as possible.

STE_vie

RMS Regular
yeah john see your point, like i said he needs to do the math himself. (I just hope the new door stands up to safety tests. wouldnt like to see a new door react differently in an accident than the origanal door!!!)

johnm

RMS Regular
nasty enough smash, would definitely bring it to some-one who knows what there at instead of a clown.

didnt know dairy milk made buscuits though lol

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
Looks like damage I suffered in a car a few years ago. Your quarter panel can be pulled, as the dent in the roof. New door, and sill. The floor pan would need checked for damaged.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.