Solar Panels and Home Battery

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
We spend about £1000 on oil and £1000 on electric a year and now I've a south facing shed roof ......................

So got a quote for a 5.3kw system and immersion control unit from Start Solar, £5600 +Vat. Batteries can be added at any time. I haven't done all the calculations but they estimate 5-6 years payback on installation. The other plus is the panels will insulate the shed roof from the heat in the summer a bit. What's the verdict from the experts here?

My reservations are is it worth it at the moment and are the grants going to come back, I have a feeling some sort of grant system will appear in the spring.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
We spend about £1000 on oil and £1000 on electric a year and now I've a south facing shed roof ......................

So got a quote for a 5.3kw system and immersion control unit from Start Solar, £5600 +Vat. Batteries can be added at any time. I haven't done all the calculations but they estimate 5-6 years payback on installation. The other plus is the panels will insulate the shed roof from the heat in the summer a bit. What's the verdict from the experts here?

My reservations are is it worth it at the moment and are the grants going to come back, I have a feeling some sort of grant system will appear in the spring.
By no means an expert..... But having researched like mad.... Unless your home during the day installing a battery now will increase your efficiency. As u will only make solar whilst the sun shines so, if your out most of the day it will all go to grid with exception of the hot water. If you install a battery now it will charge during day meaning your night usage will be mostly free (battery size depending). You better maximising the generated electricity as sending it to the grid for 7p odd, then having to use the grid electric in the evenings at 22p odd isn't ideal.

Also if home during the day.... Doing the likes of laundry etc whilst making solar will help greatly with electricity savings. Without a battery, if your out during the day, ud have to pay for the electricity to do the laundry etc

I had originally quoted for just solar, but have recently got a quote for solar, plus hybrid inverter and a battery pack. Just waiting on couple other quotes.

Start solar are currently my preference.

For reference my electric and oil usage is about 1/2 yours so I know it will take longer to regain my outlay, however given the lifespan of panels etc I'm happy enough with that.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
By no means an expert..... But having researched like mad.... Unless your home during the day installing a battery now will increase your efficiency. As u will only make solar whilst the sun shines so, if your out most of the day it will all go to grid with exception of the hot water. If you install a battery now it will charge during day meaning your night usage will be mostly free (battery size depending). You better maximising the generated electricity as sending it to the grid for 7p odd, then having to use the grid electric in the evenings at 22p odd isn't ideal.

I had originally quoted for just solar, but have recently got a quote for solar, plus hybrid inverter and a battery pack. Just waiting on couple other quotes.

Start solar are currently my preference.
We are in and out of the house through the day but yes, your point is very valid.

I was given a figure of 8p back to grid and that's to go up to 12p in the new year. We pay about 20p per unit.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Aye 7.9p or something. 20p isn't bad, but likely rise next year.

A 5kw panel setup is quite high. Most domestic premises (from research) are usually 3 or 4kw. A 4kw is recommended for monthly electricity bills of £80+.

Maybe consider dropping from 5kw to 4kw and add a battery. (I have a quote here if your interested)

I originally was going to go 4kw, but surveyor basically said with my bills it's not really much benefit.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
We're up to £2400 a year on electricity and £3000 or so on oil so I'm currently looking in to alternative energy sources!!

Looking in to it there is some sort of a myth that you can only have 4kW but this appears to have been based round some sort of a payout scheme. Several places I have looked at (not local companies obviously) will happily go 10-12kW.

My plan is a small turbine and solar as we have the wind from it, have been logging it for about a year, and I also know from constantly having to adjust my 2m/70cm colinear antenna!

cupraricky

RMS Regular
We're up to £2400 a year on electricity and £3000 or so on oil so I'm currently looking in to alternative energy sources!!

Looking in to it there is some sort of a myth that you can only have 4kW but this appears to have been based round some sort of a payout scheme. Several places I have looked at (not local companies obviously) will happily go 10-12kW.

My plan is a small turbine and solar as we have the wind from it, have been logging it for about a year, and I also know from constantly having to adjust my 2m/70cm colinear antenna!
Jeepers at £2400 I'd say ud definitely need much higher than 4kw. Think the info I got was 3kw £40-£80 per month electric spend. 4kw was £80+ - 100ish. So if your at £200 per month ud be looking at least an 8kw system

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Aye 7.9p or something. 20p isn't bad, but likely rise next year.

A 5kw panel setup is quite high. Most domestic premises (from research) are usually 3 or 4kw. A 4kw is recommended for monthly electricity bills of £80+.

Maybe consider dropping from 5kw to 4kw and add a battery. (I have a quote here if your interested)

I originally was going to go 4kw, but surveyor basically said with my bills it's not really much benefit.

3 or 4kW will be average household only with no EV. Heavy household on electric plus one maybe two EV in future will need more depending on how you want it all to work.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Don't think the export payments are as much as you guys think; my last one worked out at 4.6 pence per kwh just paid in the last couple of months. Makes more sense to use as much as you can via immersion heater, batteries or oil filled radiators on timers. Who is quoting those figures for the export payments?

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Don't think the export payments are as much as you guys think; my last one worked out at 4.6 pence per kwh just paid in the last couple of months. Makes more sense to use as much as you can via immersion heater, batteries or oil filled radiators on timers. Who is quoting those figures for the export payments?
Start solar quoted those figures but they're selling it

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
There's a Small Scale Green Energy bill going through assembly at the minute that's looking to set a minimum price for export to encourage more domestic wind and solar which you would think will end up bumping up price you can get.

But NI assembly means that could be soon or some time shortly before the sun enters its giant red phase and swallows up the earth.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I don't think solar makes hard nosed financial sense unless you are either burning a tonne in daylight hours to get the use from it or you have a battery. You'll be a long time paying back 6k capital from 8p per kwh feed in. I'd love solar and battery and have a perfect spot for it but personally I think we are in a great sweet spot right now for not buying with early adoption cost and lack of govt subsidy in whatever form.
Also I may move in a few years and leaving it would be a kick in the balls (obviously my fault not solar) .

davyk31

RMS Regular
What kind of size are the batteries with a 4kw system. I have a nice large garage roof facing south which would likely be perfect. Batteries seem the only way to go as we aren’t at home a lot during the day and have one Ev and possibly another soon.
The garage is remote to the house at about 25 or 30 metres away, would I be needing to run a cable back to the house to bring the power in or how does that work.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
I should add that I do own an EV and normally it's on charge at night.
All the more reason for a battery. I've no EV and prob won't in the near future as the requirement to tow is a must. Only seems to be the likes of teslas that'll pull any decent weight.
What kind of size are the batteries with a 4kw system. I have a nice large garage roof facing south which would likely be perfect. Batteries seem the only way to go as we aren’t at home a lot during the day and have one Ev and possibly another soon.
The garage is remote to the house at about 25 or 30 metres away, would I be needing to run a cable back to the house to bring the power in or how does that work.
For the 3kw system I looked at they were pairing it with a 5kw battery, I'd assume a 5kw would also do for 4kw system. All depends how much u want to use it in the evening. Think the next size up is 7.5kw battery.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
How much are the batteries?

An old damaged Nissan Leaf 24kw is only a few grand and you get a 24kw battery thrown!

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Thanks. What physical space do the batteries take up?
They obviously vary in size depending on kw storage capacity but the surveyor reckoned they'd get the inverter AND battery in an area approx 2ft wide by 4.5ft tall on my garage wall beside the consumer unit.
The batteries can just be on the floor. From research I know the likes of the tesla wall which is approx 13kw, I think is about 2ft wide by 4 or 5ft tall alone
How much are the batteries?

An old damaged Nissan Leaf 24kw is only a few grand and you get a 24kw battery thrown!
5kw is approx £2.5-3k. Every size up (2.5kw intervals) from there add approx £1.5k. That's going on info I've been provided with

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Just read that if you get batteries after installing panels you pay 20% vat on them.

If you get batteries installed with the panels you pay 5% on them.

Is this right?

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Just read that if you get batteries after installing panels you pay 20% vat on them.

If you get batteries installed with the panels you pay 5% on them.

Is this right?
It'd make more financial sense to install all at once. Remember reading something like you increase your efficiency by double with a battery. Plus u need to ensure you install a hybrid inverter on day one if its ur intention to add batteries. Think a hybrid is £600 ish extra.

I did also read something about the increased vat for installation after the fact. Something to do with percentage cost of the system.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Does sound like batteries, solar and car charger all together if they are ever in the plan is the way
I really expect some grant assistance to come on board as with many more electric cars they need people generating their own to keep up with demand. However if a grant comes in that often mean prices jump up because of that and the customer is no better off.
And for say a 4kw system, if that is the kind of average for a bill of about £80 to £100 per month, how many panels is that.
I already have 2 on the house roof for water which the previous owner fitted but for more panels the garage roof may be the way to go.

wes

RMS Regular
16 i think it is, aye when the last grant scheme was in for roc payments i paid 6k for 4kw system. Which has been spot on investment for our home

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Does sound like batteries, solar and car charger all together if they are ever in the plan is the way
I really expect some grant assistance to come on board as with many more electric cars they need people generating their own to keep up with demand. However if a grant comes in that often mean prices jump up because of that and the customer is no better off.
And for say a 4kw system, if that is the kind of average for a bill of about £80 to £100 per month, how many panels is that.
I already have 2 on the house roof for water which the previous owner fitted but for more panels the garage roof may be the way to go.
Depends on the output of the panels. For 4kw with a 440w output panel you would install 9 panels
16 i think it is, aye when the last grant scheme was in for roc payments i paid 6k for 4kw system. Which has been spot on investment for our home
Is that just panels?

wes

RMS Regular

Attachments

• 20211205_111226.jpg
    20211205_111226.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 65