solar trickle chargers - any good?

geoffo

RMS Regular
Drives
bmx
i leave the scoob for periods of time and often it may not start, anyone used these wee solar trickle chargers and can you get them locally?

ta -

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
yup, I have one from Maplin (it was on offer) giving a decent trickle charge that kept the tiny Japanese battery in tip-top condition. 1 watt is all you need.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
The aul lad has 1 mounted on the front of his curtain side tri-axle car transporter to keep the battery under it charged. The battery is there to power the winch and ramp, and the solar charger keeps plenty of life in it. He's more than impressed by it.

geoffo

RMS Regular
OP
geoffo
Drives
bmx
thanks lads, didnt see the other threads, didnt actually search whoops.

appreciate the in-sider knowledge - mods can take this down, thanks again guys :grinning:

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I have one for the boat and it keeps the battery well topped up.

Other thing to look into Geoff - is there anything draining the battery - aftermarket headunit etc?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Yeah Cav n Cali battery maintained by one altho I find them better if u disconnect the batt from the car

geoffo

RMS Regular
OP
geoffo
Drives
bmx
pretty sure the cars not draining anytthing, ive all the interrior bulbs out and that whole cars ignition live - dead.

i usuaully buy off ebay but theres some horror stories on feedback!

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
My cigarette plug isn't live when the ignition is off, so I might butcher an old obd cable to save trying to run cables to the battery or splice in anywhere.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
pretty sure the cars not draining anytthing, ive all the interrior bulbs out and that whole cars ignition live - dead.

i usuaully buy off ebay but theres some horror stories on feedback!

the car ALWAYS drains something - Shortly after ignition off, this drain is usually in the 30-50mA region. If you use a multimeter, set to 10 amps between the batt post and negative terminal (remove terminal and place black lead to battery and red lead to the earth cable) and take a reading, it should show .02 - ish. (20mA)

Given that the average Japenese battery is around 50AH capacity, the battery will be drained in

50000mA / 20mA = 2500 hours or just over 100 days given a 100% State of Charge which few batteries will ever meet after a year or two of normal use.

Check the battery voltage after a good run out (half an hour of motorway speeds/ high revs) - if you wait half an hour for the "surface charge" to settle down, the reading should be 12.6v for a normal lead-acid battery. If it's less than 12, then either give it an overnight charge (important to do this in winter), or replace it with a known fully-charged battery.

Storm

Banned
My cigarette plug isn't live when the ignition is off,

ohcock.jpg

didn't think about it not being live... looks like i'm going to have to figure something out lol

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
the car ALWAYS drains something - Shortly after ignition off, this drain is usually in the 30-50mA region. If you use a multimeter, set to 10 amps between the batt post and negative terminal (remove terminal and place black lead to battery and red lead to the earth cable) and take a reading, it should show .02 - ish. (20mA)

Del, what would be an acceptible current drain and what would be excessive? Just for future fault finding reference

I find that is the car is going to be sitting about for a period of time if just as handy to life the lead of the battery to prevent any current drain

geoffo

RMS Regular
OP
geoffo
Drives
bmx
lol - love the way this has gone and the way you guys think =)

well... thanks to all and i got sorted, got a 1/2 price job from maplins and my new battery should land today, here's hopen!!!

gfo.

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
Wont be much use if your car is garaged or under a cover tho :laughing: Ive got an Oxford Maximiser on mine.