Sold as Seen Episode 19: When Supercars Break Down with Warren Mercer

•   
On this Sold as Seen Podcast, serial supercar owner and RMS Motoring forum member Warren Mercer (WSM) joins Andy, Gary and Ross and bares all, giving us the shocking truth of his real life experience of supercar ownership.

Prepare yourself for eye watering depreciation, mystery damage and reliability woes that would drive anyone to the brink.

Spotify:

Apple Podcasts:

Google Podcasts: Sold as Seen

RSS Feed: https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/sold-as-seen

Last edited:

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Just got listening tonight, fantastic show! Interesting to hear what all happened to the big mac, what a rigmarole! Sounded like an absolute nightmare. It's not going to be a problem I'll have to worry about any time soon, but if I where ever in the position to own a McLaren I think that's more than enough to put me off lol

You where talking about fun cars that do 40ish mpg... I got up to 46mpg from my wee Swift Sport btw! Maybe not a performance car as such but I found it to be the best compromise between economy and fun. The ZC32s (2nd gen) got much better mpgs than the previous gen due to 6 speed box.

Obviously my car driving/owning experience isn't quite on power with those on the show, so its really good to hear about others car history and what their thoughts are on them. Wide range of car chat is interesting.

Well done lads👍🏻

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That was good, shocking crap with the McLaren.
Honestly, the conversation about soul etc is very divisive but although the sound is a big part of it, to me the biggest thing is operating a manual gearbox, particularly heel and toeing, the vibration through the seat and the controls, a steering wheel that tugs away at your hands. The 155's are still there because of that tbh, because they are definitely not the fastest cars, never were, but I just loved driving them.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I'd say thats been the best one so far! thoroughly enjoyed it and was a wee bit gutted when it ended :joy:

I think we lost track of time ourselves, we were kinda mid conversation and next thing Cooper starting winding it up so I glanced at the clock and realised it was nearly 10:30pm. Would have been happy to go on only I had a 5am start next morn for a flight.

Was very interesting hearing the McLaren stuff from @WSM , funnily enough the next day I was passing a McLaren/Rolls dealership near Manchester airport and swung in for a look. They had a 720s out front which normally I'd have been salivating over but all I could think of as I looked at it was how many faults were already occurring underneath that bodywork, or which would happen within the next couple of thousand miles. The 80s supercar reliability cliché should not be getting applied to supercars in 2022.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
First one ive listened to, was pretty good must tune into some more.

The backstory of the mclaren was shocking, their attitude and inability to provide the product they had sold just sucked all the fun and joy out of what should have been an amazing ownership i bet, memorable now for all the wrong reasons.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
I'm now wondering when all the EV owners are getting their caravans ;)

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I'm now wondering when all the EV owners are getting their caravans ;)
1656923411582.png

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Started listening to this yesterday and funny what you said @WSM about excessive options list on the McLaren - I had an old Top Gear on last night and I think it was a 750S that Harris had??? It was £280k starting and his was £400k!!!

Reactions: WSM

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Listened last night/this morning while on the road. Very enjoyable. Bit scunnered to hear all the cars WSM has owned and he is younger than me though.

Also a lot of negativity towards diesel Audi’s.

Did the smokey M4 ever get fixed? Was expecting it to get mentioned!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Question for those who listen.

we have a few points we aim to talk about each podcast but sometimes just end up chatting crap amongst ourselves.

do you prefer the laid back unscripted approach of loose chat and a bit of banter

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira

we have a few points we aim to talk about each podcast but sometimes just end up chatting crap amongst ourselves.

do you prefer the laid back unscripted approach of loose chat and a bit of banter

I don't listen... to you :p

I plan to go off script and interrupt people at every turn. 🤷😄

Questions were great on this ep, must start a new thread for them again.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
So far, whatever way you're doing it is working well for me. Some motoring news or the likes fits well as its a car related podcast.

Unscripted banter works well for me also. I enjoy the random chat, when you guys get into it, it just flows and seems very natural. It's like a few mates sitting around talking cars, just the same way as I do with my mates. Makes you feel involved.

I like when you pick a random topic and discuss. It always seems to be entertaining. Thats why I quite enjoy the random questions from members. Then its good to hear different opinions and experiences etc.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Unscripted is good, but useful to have points to fall back on to give you a steer when needed.