Something a Bit Different - Volvo V50 2.5 T5 AWD

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
Drives
MINI JCW
Bit of a difference from my usual MINI threads.
@Wild Thing had a V50 2.4 D5 years ago and always vowed he would have another at some stage. I quite like the look of the V50 and the practicality of it, so I was all for the idea.
On a casual browse through the classifieds, this popped up. So, we both went to see it, quick look over it and it was heading home with us

It’s a V50 2.5 T5 AWD with only 86k miles. Has the exact same running gear as the Mk2 Ford Focus ST225 but also has the benefit of being All Wheel Drive. On a bit of digging, it turns out the AWD is very rare with only 24 still registered in the whole of the UK

Has a fairly good spec:
- Sapphire Black Metallic Paint
- High Performance Sound System
- Xenon Headlights
- Sunroof
- Electric and Heated Leather Seats
- Heated Mirrors
- Parking Sensors
- All Wheel Drive
- Usual V50 Refinements

How is sat when we brought it home
IMG_5596.JPG

IMG_5598.1.JPG

IMG_5598.JPG

It needed a real good clean inside, and like most V50s with a sunroof, the drain tubes were leaking as you can see from the damp mouldy carpet footwells +o(
IMG_5599.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

Stripped out all the interior and removed the carpets which were dripping. As they were already soaking, I brought them out and give them a power wash which brought them up like new. They were hung out to dry for a few days while we fixed the sunroof drain tubes.
IMG_5865.JPG

To get full access to the tubes, the headliner was dropped and the windscreen took out. While we were going to go that far, a new windscreen was ordered. Nothing beats a nice crisp new windscreen :cool:
Old windscreen out and new tubes routed from the sunroof down, fixing the leak
IMG_5889.JPG

While the interior was drying out I got all the trim panels cleaned and set aside ready to build back in again later.

As with most things, a few tweaks were needed…
First off, a full engine rebuild along with the block mod to allow us to wind a bit of power into it further down the line. At least now we know exactly what we have

With the direction we wanted to take decided, the parts began to pile up
Airtec Intercooler, Airtec Induction Kit, Scorpion 3” downpipe & decat (unfortunately we discovered this couldn’t work due to the car being AWD, more on that later) Block Mod kit, 550cc Bosch Injectors and a new LUK clutch and release bearing
IMG_5758.JPG

IMG_5759.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

IMG_5766.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Forgot to take pics before the engine was stripped, but the ones I have I will attach
Block was honed and new piston rings fitted
IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_5755.JPG

We then done the block mod which is meant to help stop the liners cracking
IMG_5784.JPG

IMG_5785.JPG

Head was stripped down and set to Comiskey for pressure test and skim, valves were then ground in when we got it back and new valve stem oil seals fitted
Stripped Down
IMG_5635.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

Back from Comiskey and being built back up again to set on. Also new gates timing belt kit fitted
IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5792.JPG

Ancillaries bolted back on again
IMG_5804.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_5851.JPG

Back in again. As the 550cc injectors were fitted when the engine was being built, the car needs a base map to run. The ECU has been sent away to get the base map on then when we get it run in we can get it properly mapped
IMG_5888.JPG

In the meantime, while we are waiting for the ECU I can get the Airtec bits fitted as well as get the interior built back up again. More to come in the next few days hopefully 🤞

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's class, love a proper sleeper and it being an estate just makes it better.
Looking forward to further updates. (y)

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
good god!

is there something in the water up there?

I remember visiting Winston Henry up there with a couple of cars years and years ago and he seemed equally as crazy!

I love it!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That's brilliant, and totally different! Will be class when done and sound great I'm sure!

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Magna Tuning do a cool lip kit for them

View attachment 314514
View attachment 314515
I had seen that and thought it looked class, the splitters are definitely on the list to do. I think it is helped though with having the facelift R design front bumper and grill. I had intended on fitting the facelift R design front end to this car and had a donor in the same colour and everything but hit problems when trying to convert my pre facelift xenons to facelift ones due to the my ballasts being in wings rather than on the back of the headlight on the facelift lights :sob:

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Looks like my 10 cylinder estate may have enticed you into a 5 😂 straight pipe her and it'll sound as good.

Always liked Volvo wagons myself and was looking at a Volvo polestar before the RS.

You two fairly get stuck into them cars you bring in, can always count on an engine strip and rebuild for sheets and giggles 😁

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Looks like my 10 cylinder estate may have enticed you into a 5 😂 straight pipe her and it'll sound as good.

Always liked Volvo wagons myself and was looking at a Volvo polestar before the RS.

You two fairly get stuck into them cars you bring in, can always count on an engine strip and rebuild for sheets and giggles 😁
It wouldn't be one of our cars if it didn't get tore apart within the first few weeks of ownership, I have to admit this one was a record as the following day the engine was out of it :joy:

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I never knew these existed and now I want one lol. What a class understated car! Subbing to this thread!

Maybe when they're bored of it they'll considered swapping for your e46 😂

It wouldn't be one of our cars if it didn't get tore apart within the first few weeks of ownership, I have to admit this one was a record as the following day the engine was out of it :joy:

It's honestly class to see 😁 nice to see the internals of something other than a mini too lmao.

Will you stick a tow bar on it for the jet skis?

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
The ECU will hopefully be back at the end of this week, so in the meantime @Wild Thing and I have been building it back together. The Airtec intercooler has been fitted along with a new AC Condenser and for the time being the original black bumper has been fitted. Airtec induction kit fitted apart from the ECU bracket as I need to fit the ECU to the holder before fitting the bracket. Excuse the dirt of the engine bay, it needs a good clean when everything is put back together again
IMG_5954.JPG

When the seats were out, I gave them a steam clean. They are far from perfect due to some wear but they are so much better than what they were originally
Interior built back together again
IMG_5908.JPG

IMG_5930.JPG

IMG_5946.JPG

IMG_5934.JPG

Centre console control knobs switched out for facelift versions
Before
IMG_5610.JPG

During
IMG_5611.JPG

After
IMG_5612.JPG

Gearknob was changed for the R design version as well as the pedals and genuine mats. Have the R design steering wheel here as well but it needs a clean before being fitted
IMG_5947.JPG

IMG_5932.JPG

We both thought standard, the car looked grandad spec with the plastic trims on the bumpers and the chrome grill etc. The initial plan was to facelift the car as we had bought a donor V50 with the facelift R design kit in the same colour. Unfortunately it couldn’t be done as to fit the front bumper you need the facelift headlights due to being a slightly different shape. As our car has the pre facelift xenons it wasn’t a straight forward swap as our ballasts are in underneath the front wings, whereas the facelift ballasts are built into the headlight.

So back to the drawing board. We have settled on fitting the sport dynamic trim which still looks so much better than at the minute. The final aim is to achieve something like this, we have the same Medusa 18 Inch wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 to be fitted as soon as they are refurbished
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 4.39.59 pm.png

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 4.39.41 pm.png

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 4.40.25 pm.png

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 4.40.11 pm.png

We picked up a rear bumper pretty handy. It was then fitted as well as the tow bar
IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5941.JPG

Spoiler also fitted which I think so far makes the biggest difference
IMG_5938.JPG

IMG_5942.JPG

The side skirts were transferable from the facelift R Design donor so they are partially fitted at the minute, more on that later
Before
IMG_5890.JPG

Partially fitted
IMG_5945.JPG

We also have a front bumper coming with the correct trim and S40 egg crate grill so that will complete the bodykit

New plates fitted to get rid of the awful looking original plate
IMG_5948.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG

A brand new set of BC Coilovers specifically for the AWD have been ordered and should be here within the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting them fitted and set up correctly as at the minute it looks like it is on stilts

The plan now is to get the whole car resprayed to really finish it off (hence the side skirts are not fully fitted as they have to come off again and they are so brittle I’m not taking a chance they crack), then up to @big_pete to get ceramic coated as it is a beast to wash when you are used to a Mini :joy:
When funds allow it will be getting a full custom stainless exhaust from turbo back. Getting an exhaust and downpipe has proved impossible for the AWD due to the transfer box and drives location. I had originally got a Scorpion downpipe and decat section which would have worked fine on a FWD but unfortunately there just isn’t the same room in the AWD :weary_face:
Maybe when they're bored of it they'll considered swapping for your e46 😂

It's honestly class to see 😁 nice to see the internals of something other than a mini too lmao.

Will you stick a tow bar on it for the jet skis?
Absolutely, tow bar and all is on. It won't ever see the beach but will be perfect for pulling them up and down to the caravan :cool:

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
This is class! Love a proper build like this, don't often see it anymore!