Spare car does it need insured

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

j44nty

RMS Regular
I have a spare car lying at the house now with a tow bar fitted now I am a middle aged bloke and have been with my insurance company for a lifetime I am fully comp and it says I am covered third party on another car. I am not trying to work a dodge I am just wondering can I use this to take a trailer load of rubbish to the dump now and again as I assume I will be covered third party. Car is still owned by a parent and taxed but not insured anymore.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Third party extension usually means the other car you're using has to have a policy running on it.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
Needs insured by the owner. Third party extension only applies to a car not in your name.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
3rd party extension only applies to cars not owned or insured by you and that car, must have it's own insurance in force*

*Mine does anyway

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
As far as I'm aware, unfortunately the car needs to have its own individual policy, unless you have multi car insurance :worried:

RoniN

RMS Regular
Normally the car owned by someone else will have to be insured for you to drive it under the DOC (drive other cars) third party cover.
But some underwriters will cover you to drive a car not insured, Quinns used to do this if I remember right.

Rule of thumb if its not clear on your policy check with your broker.

Cheers

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
All of the above doesnt matter a ****.

If the car is taxed, the law says that vehicle has to be insured.

You can try and argue at the roadside when they stop you...but you know who always wins those whether they're right or wrong and if you're driving on some 3rd party dream clause, the vehicle will not be listed as insured when they check.

pablo

RMS Moderator
why would it matter? If you intend to drive it it should be taxed and insured. If not then it will be SORNed.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Well clearly not here, as his spare car is taxed and MOT'd, but not insured.

He could happily leave it parked for a month or two with tax on it if his insurance expired knowing he probably wont drive it, then insure it to drive again when funds permit etc

It's handier just to let the tax run sometimes that **** about cancelling, getting refunds, losing a month, starting it again etc etc

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Rung insurance today the car I drive with third party extension must be insured by the owner also so answers my query lucky enough my dad said he will keep it insured also so that's the dump run sorted now for a car trailer and some track fun. (Before anyone asks I have D1+E lol)

avo5021

RMS Regular
All answers above are correct in one form.

The main thing is its policy dependant, some policies state the other car has to be insured by the owner and some like my own state I can drive other cars without another policy in force.

The above is the reason for reading the Policy schedule when it arrives like non of us actually do.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Only problem with the above...even if your policy states any car, and the other car doesnt need it's own policy.

It will show up as uninsured if ANPR or police check. Which trying to argue your case at the roadside....will never go well.

To be fair, most policies arent worth reading through...somewhere in the small print will be wording that allows them to wriggle out of cover at the slightest thing.

MATT93

RMS Regular
Drives
335d
Mother and Father inlaws insurance allows them to drive a car that is not in their name - even if it is not currently insured by anyone else. 3rd party ofcourse.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Changing car and level of cover today I was able to get 7 days temp cover on my old car,while making new car main. Didn't cost me a penny.

Another option?

neil-c

RMS Regular
Thread revival!

Slightly related... can I lend a £500 car to someone for 6-12 months, they insure and tax it but I’m still the owner on the log book? It’s for someone visiting here from England on a short term work contract.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Thread revival!

Slightly related... can I lend a £500 car to someone for 6-12 months, they insure and tax it but I’m still the owner on the log book? It’s for someone visiting here from England on a short term work contract.

Yep, that's fine.
It doesn't matter who owns it as long as the driver is taxed and insured.

RevT

RMS Regular
You just need to ensure the person insuring it doesn’t say that they’re the registered owner.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.