Sprucing up the steelies

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lexx

RMS Regular
Drives
German Scrap
The winter steelies on the RAV4 are looking a bit worse for wear, bit of minor rust breaking through, want to tidy them up a bit, is it worth my while rubbing them down by hand, or am I wasting my time?

Any recommendations what to use for an undercoat and matt silver finish, something thats gonna take some wear and tear ?

OR... if lazy mode sets in, is there anywhere I can give them to and go "sort it" without having to sell my organs to pay for it?

Thanks

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Get a sandpaper flappy yoke for the end of a drill, buff down the rusty bits, and then just rough up the rest.

just so the paint stiicks, and use lots of petrol/thinners on the wheel to get rid of the oil/brakedust etc!

and spray away - i painted my last Rallyé steels for under a 10er... took about 3 hours all in.

Lexx

RMS Regular
OP
Lexx
Drives
German Scrap
Ok... now for a silly question....

Tyres on or off when you did it, i'm assuming it would be better taking them off, but thats a load of hassle as theyre being driven on :scream:

Wayne D

RMS Regular
Drives
Family Wagon
When i done the Steels on the rallye i let most of the air out of the tyres and just taped round the edges. It should leave you with enough room to work at them.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
yep totally deflate the tyres, masking tape and abit of fairyliquid around the tyre walls...

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
i used different grades of wet n dry paper, then primered, sprayed and laquered my steelies a while ago.

turned out a good job!

its easy enough rubbing the rust of with wet n dry. And i done mine with the tyres still on!

DSCF3096.jpg

DSCF3097.jpg

DSCF3098.jpg

DSCF3111.jpg

DSCF3112.jpg

Lexx

RMS Regular
OP
Lexx
Drives
German Scrap
Nice job Ben, here, come up and do mine lol

Seriously tho, mine wouldnt be as bad as yours were, so i'll give it a go see what happens, whats the worse that could happen :scream: .

Simon, why fairy liquid on the side walls ?

Cheers for all the replys lads

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
if you put fairy liquid on the sidewalls, when you get overspray on the tyre it wont stick, and it will just wash off.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I beaded the tyre/rim contact area with some blu-tac before spraying mine, also let the tyres right down

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.