ST50 Resto

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I have been hunting for one of these for about 4years, they have become increasingly valuable, more than anyone other than a bearded collector would want to pay..

One for sale currently.. More than the price of a Brand new MSX125/ Grom :eek:

377F943D-03B7-425B-B9CF-2D505FE1EF89.jpeg

They are slow, small and it’s very unlikely to ever get ridden, but I had one as a kid and I always wish I’d kept it.

So I got one..

E988E36F-64D4-4A98-9A11-F774B2617FD1.jpeg

Just what I needed another Project..

6A907309-C016-49F4-B977-E2730720BB5A.jpeg

It will keep me busy on winter evenings when I’m not working on the Midget or TR7, or when I need a change of scenery from them both..

Turns out to be pretty complete, didn’t think black was it’s factory colour as I hadn’t seen one before, but it is according to the Chassis number..

C36DC05C-2F46-4C0E-8263-B9DD2D38D66C.jpeg

First hurdle was to get keys sourced to suit the ignition, they are long gone and a V5 as it Doesn’t seem to exists according to DVLA..

Ordered a Plug, Oil, a new Battery, Engine Gasket kit, & New keys..

Total cost £30 lol I need to stick with bikes!!

The frame will be getting painted, not sure whether to keep it black or paint it blue like the one I had as a boy!

I think keeping it original might be better but the black doesn't do it any favours!

8AC67D01-1027-42EF-B3FC-A483CBEA9FD9.jpeg

Any tips on cleaning heavily oxidised main crank cases? Ideally vapour blasting but hoping to not have to pull the full engine down.

Oven cleaner & Brass wire brush any good? :grinning:

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
If you need the reg sorted, the VJMC can date the bike and provide the paperwork. They have a guy dedicated to providing this service. You just have to pay £28 (I think) to be a member.
Might find a code on the side or bottom of the ign barrel to help source a key. David Silver Honda spares probably has them.

Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
If you need the reg sorted, the VJMC can date the bike and provide the paperwork. They have a guy dedicated to providing this service. You just have to pay £28 (I think) to be a member.
Might find a code on the side or bottom of the ign barrel to help source a key. David Silver Honda spares probably has them.

Thanks Alastair, that will be my backup plan if they don't like the info I have sent them already along with the V62..

2x Keys in the Post yesterday from Express Keys from the ID on the Ignition Barrel, didn't realise it was that simple!

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Fun stuff! Get a Stomp 140 in it for a bit more craic. If you’re keeping the original engine a brass brush and autosol will get it shone up but you will be forever keeping on top of it to keep it looking good. When the uncle is restoring the bikes he uses autoglym wheel silver on the engine casings with a 2k lacquer on top. Never had issues with the heat. If you polish the casings and lacquer over it it will look good for a while but inevitably the ‘white worms’ will make an appearance under the coating.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Fun stuff! Get a Stomp 140 in it for a bit more craic. If you’re keeping the original engine a brass brush and autosol will get it shone up but you will be forever keeping on top of it to keep it looking good. When the uncle is restoring the bikes he uses autoglym wheel silver on the engine casings with a 2k lacquer on top. Never had issues with the heat. If you polish the casings and lacquer over it it will look good for a while but inevitably the ‘white worms’ will make an appearance under the coating.

not really into the polished look, too bling for me.. more into a degrease and back to bare flat alloy look!

I have used the wheel paint in the past, really easy applied, hardwiring and nice finish, think I’ll get stocked up on that for the silver bits!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
That will be a tidy wee toy mate 👌

Odd wee things lol they are getting scarce..

Lots of bits in the post last week to fully assemble the bike, that’s the plan now to build it first to find out what all in missing / needing attention and resolve all the faults before sending the frame etc off for paint.

Stripped the carb last week, Idle and Main jet where caked solid, Choke mechanism was fully seized and someone had tried to horse the leaver and sheered it off.. carbs and carb parts no longer available so managed to find this carb top half on ebay last week..

6C5E4B71-C25B-4A7A-903C-5917FDD0A4D6.jpeg

This should allow me to assemble one decent carb from the two & hopefully get it running this week :grinning:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
You love the projects man!!!

great work, keep the pics rolling 👍

Absolutely, always eyeing up the next one!!

what a great we yoke to restore

I think they are cool, always have!

The new Carburettor arrived today, quickly gave it the once over, cleaned the Jets, washed it out and installed it on the bike..

but really struggled to get a spark!! I went online and ordered a CDI unit & new Coil, but after another half hour of fault finding I realised the ignition barrel had to be earthed / installed in the frame to activate the ignition..

In true Honda fashion it fired on the first kick, quick tune of the mixture & idle screw and its running lovely..

My lawnmower sounds like it has more power :laughing:

The chain should be here this week so i'll be able to take it a quick test run to ensure the gearbox is doing as it should be!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Now i'm satisfied it runs, it was time to fully strip it..

IMG_7391.jpeg

A box of Parts for the Blaster, Powder Coater & Electroplater..

IMG_7390.jpeg

I'll spend the next week or two tidying up the Engine, Wheels & Forks etc :grinning:

IMG_7392.jpeg

Not much else to be at with the pubs closed...

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I was going to say you must be saving a fortune with the pubs closed...... but...... 😛😂

That would make sense but unfortunately not! :joy: Just needlessly blowing it on a new ornament!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
1st time using an Electro Plater for badly oxidised Parts, Very impressive and keenly priced..

Before -

IMG_7385.jpeg

IMG_7395.jpeg

After -

IMG_7464.jpeg

Hopefully drop the frame off to be blasted tomorrow, but can't decide on a final colour..

Really not that keen on the Original black, Maybe Silver Grey or Red..

130268412_2826821334254250_6301634387623472794_n.jpg 130190339_2826821397587577_1058442063121669383_n.jpg 122300485_2030977793704629_2548032856030238300_o.jpg

RevT

RMS Regular
I agree on the black, doesn’t do much for the wee bike even though it’s the original colour. If that doesn’t bother you that much I’d be going grey or red, quite like the grey.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
tell me more about this electro plating mate ?

are you using the one guy for all the different finishes ?

i was talking to a guy through the week about potentially vapour blasting the exhaust manifold for the Jedi....

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
tell me more about this electro plating mate ?

are you using the one guy for all the different finishes ?

i was talking to a guy through the week about potentially vapour blasting the exhaust manifold for the Jedi....

The plating it more for nuts and bolts Mark, I guess maybe keracote would be the job for your exhaust, its like somewhere between powder coat and ceramic coating & can withstand up t0 500degs. There is a Chap in Rafriland does it, so not a million miles from you.. Just vapour blasting it would clean it but not protect it, assuming its mile steel?

Yes I think grey is the front runner atm

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Never heard of Keracote... do you have any details for that guy?
I had been in contact with a guy around glengormely that can do the vapour blasting of the exhaust.
I’m clueless on it all!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
A wee lick of Oven cleaner & Elbow grease on my lunch break today..

55C00AAA-3488-4315-8B85-E758266BC295.jpeg

Wanting it to look tidy, not brand new!

D4196BE7-2392-4084-9700-00D3071E2061.jpeg

73A0AB54-D44D-4A70-B3FC-64C924504290.jpeg

Collecting powder coated parts tomorrow & Frame should be ready to collect next week from the blaster.

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
12EBC409-1996-4517-8551-FADAD320A9E5.jpeg

5020ECCF-4F78-46D2-9BFD-D333CAD68CB8.jpeg

Finally got the Frame back from the blasters, it was blasted with glass & epoxy primed.. everything looks good and straight other than a few wee holes on the swing arm

8D715780-B3CD-4D85-BB67-FB0AB4F408E4.jpeg

I’ll get those repaired tomorrow and then away to the painter on Wednesday :grinning:

Peter

RMS Regular
Looks great! it's a joy putting a bike together that's all new and shiny!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Looks great! it's a joy putting a bike together that's all new and shiny

It’s been good fun so far! So simple in terms of fault finding and assembly,

I’m hoping the post system is back to normal soon so I can get all the bits ordered up that I need for the final build up! :grinning: