Starting keyless diesel cars in winter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

cpa1uk

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk6 Golf R
I'm thinking about getting a focus st diesel but like most car today, it just has a button to start it rather than keys.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows how this works for diesel cars as I always thought that you had to give the glow plugs a chance to heat up before turning the ignition on fully.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Marc

RMS Moderator
You can still turn the ignition on without starting the car on a button start car.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It does it all automatically. It doesn't always start straight away when you press the button... will heat the plugs and start. Some cars start heating the plugs the moment the door is opened as well.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Wife’s mini I press the button without foot on clutch.

They are designed properly so wouldn’t worry too much about it

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
Wife’s focus is diesel with a start button, it just delays the starter for a second or so plus I think it preheats when you unlock it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Even in the Tiguan with a normal key if I hop in and turn it it'll not start straight away until the glow plug light has turned off.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
with the start button/clutch pressed it will pause a few seconds before cranking over to allow the plugs to glow

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
My F30 3 series is start button, it delays starting for a second, preheating comes up on the dials then the engine starts

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
I'm thinking about getting a focus st diesel but like most car today, it just has a button to start it rather than keys.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows how this works for diesel cars as I always thought that you had to give the glow plugs a chance to heat up before turning the ignition on fully.

It's been a while, hasn't it? :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Irrelevant.

Most cars for the last decade or more will initiate the glow plugs when you hit the alarm button to open the door so there will be ample heat for immediate start by time your arse is in the seat.
And modern glow plug systems are quiet different from 30 years ago, where they heat extremely fast, then they ramp then down and can run them on for several miles after starting.

So glow plugs are of no concern whatsoever with regards no key.

As for peoples perceptions above about the light on their dash....it means very little, probably just a carry on because diesels have always had one so people expect to see one. It rarely reflects what the glow plugs are actually doing.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.