stopped by cops

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Chris Burnett

RMS Regular
we got stopped by the cops in two twin cams (oh and every other ****in car got let threw) pulled over to the side and when they found everythin was legit they started on about loud exhausts...

then...this is whats baffeled me....the cop said that he could report us for insurance fraud because the insurance was obtained using another drivers details to get it cheaper??? ie the driver at the time was a named driver on the police...????....said it would b a £500 if it went to court

he then let us go without doing anythin

surly that cant b right about the insurance??.....

Porter

RMS Regular
no as long as hesa named driver

whos to say when and where the named driver is allowed to drive,

should have told him to go on ahead.

mr_ice_uk

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR TDI
So, the driver of the car was down as a named driver according to the police records? I presume then that the driver is now the actual policy owner, otherwise I'm baffled as to how he could call this fraud. Provided you can provide a valid insurance certificate and all relevant details, I wouldn't be worried. Sounds like their data isn't up to date.

Porter

RMS Regular
what the policy basically means is the main holder is mr a ( who in theory should be the owner of the car), and under him who in theory shoud drive it less is mr b (chris_b)

what i presume has happenned is he has stopped you and said is this you car to which you replied yes, and he see your your a named driver and thought to himself if its his car he should be the main driver so in theory you should have said no its mr a's car

alot of in theorys there , lol but you get the jist of it

Chris Burnett

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Burnett
thats y it baffeled me...

the driver isnt the registered owner and the policy is in the registered owners name but the driver is a named on the insurance....completly legit i thought

and at the end of half an hour questionin both coupe drivers the let us go on, didnt even give producers and neither driver had insurance docs with them and one hadnt theyr licence

????????

Porter

RMS Regular
to put it in easy terms lets say i have a car its registered to my mum, who is the main policy holder and im a named driver who drives it ( all be it more than my mum if at all) ,

that is legit,

fook em, the fact that they didnt give you a producer says it all, gimps.

Chris Burnett

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Burnett
porter i see what ur sayin...

but in my case im the registered owner and im a named driver.....when im gettin my insurance they ask who the registered owner is and they have no problem with me being the registered owner
??????

Porter

RMS Regular
so whos the policy holder?

not that it matters

its all above board
, at the end of the day u have a bit of insurance paper with your name on it for that reg,

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Sounds like some scaremongering to me mate. The corollas have a reputation you know!

Andy

pablo

RMS Moderator
hold on - if the car is registered in your mums name and she is the main driver on the insurance but its actually your car and you drive it all the time ......

then thats fraud. not my rules - just the rules.

the insurance policyholder has to be the main driver. and if the insurance company find out otherwise then they will become nasty.

and lets face it - whos mum drives a modded twincam? ;)

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
But at the same time lets be realistic, if its the only way to afford the insurance so be it. Its still perfectly legal - who are we to say that Chris' mum isn't the main driver of the car?

Plenty of people running around with no insurance at all.

Andy

pablo

RMS Moderator
hasnt this insurance "solution" been talked to death over the yrs?

you know the cops/insurance - pick on the easy targets not the real crims.

rosie

RMS Regular
Drives
anything that bl
my mum got stopped driving my car by the army and the soldier goes to her aren't you a bit old to be driving a car all done up?

LMAO

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
they just tryin to pick at ya - nothin better to do!

seems legal to me

Designated Driver

RMS Regular
with the insurance I took out on the gf's puma I am the main driver/policyholder but she is the registered keeper/named driver - Elephant had no problems with this so long as the policyholder is related/spouse to the keeper.

pablo

RMS Moderator
aye but you arent doing it to save money - getting your mum to do it when you are young is a way of saving money and the ins company wont like that one bit.

Designated Driver

RMS Regular
actually it was to save my gf money - a Puma is quite high group insurance and she hasn't a no claims built up yet so it saved her at least £500.
the insurance companies know it rightly as some charge extra for a mum/son deal than son alone.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I think porter hit the nail on the head with his original idea, when asked "is this your car" if you say yes then it is assumed your the main driver and not the named driver.

Peeler sounds like he was trying his luck to see if there was anything dodgy, which there wasn't so fair enough.

By the way, police do not hold insurance records etc, only whether vehicle is taxed and last recorded owner, that's why they give producers.

Chris Burnett

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Burnett
then y do insurance companies give out insurance for someone who isnt the registered owner of the car???????????

pablo

RMS Moderator
its like insuring with no mods declared. they will take your money but when it comes to paying out it will be a different story.

Chris Burnett

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Burnett
this is ****ed up

right this is it....i am the registered owner of the car

when taking out the insurance in my mums name it asks if she is the registered owner and i put no.....

it then asks who is...and i put my name in

i then add the second driver....me

i have all my mods declared includin stupid things like different filters and cibbies

i get a quote and pay it....

question is....am i really insured????

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
If all of the above is accurrate then yes you are insured 100%

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.