Stretch tyres are now a reason for MOT rejection

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Actually? I have a jeep here with no mot, and I'm getting it ready atm can so can I actually legally drive to mot

Tho it also doesn't have tax which doesn't help :worried: but need mot to get that.

You can drive to/from a pre-arranged MOT test only.

Nowhere else.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Saw that fiesta S0NNY posted on facebook earlier thought the stretch was ridiculous, and im not a stretch hater my self i run stretch on the TT, but there is a limit to what looks good and what looks **** imo.

This one?

If so, its purely to get the (I hate this word) stance right.

image_zpsa24345c4.jpg

I've had many a stretched tyre and never once had an issue. And anyone else's issues I have seen where stretched tyres have been present are caused by other factors like leaking split wheels, or cracked wheels causing pressure to drop. Never once seen a problem caused by stretch on its own.

Last edited:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

Nowhere else.

Thats good, that's all I want to do. Awkward trailering a 2.5 ton jeep to mot and back if need be.

Means I can drive to mot and head on to work after, which is only 3 miles away from the MOT place, and if I fail I can do the work at work.

Thanks

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6

Nowhere else.

f your vehicle fails the test
You’ll get a ‘notification of failure’ from the test centre if your vehicle fails the test. The failure will be recorded in the secure central MOT database.

You can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing MOT certificate is still valid (ie you got it tested before the expiry date). However, you might be stopped by police and prosecuted if your vehicle is unroadworthy.

If the vehicle fails the test and the certificate has expired, you can only drive it to:

• a pre-arranged appointment at a garage to have the repairs done
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
Your vehicle should be retested at the same test centre which did the original test.

eamon343

RMS Regular
Was there not something on here a few weeks back that if you mot a car before the mot runs out it invalidates the current mot so isnt allowed on the road?

JH86

RMS Regular
@JHXR Just because a tyre holds air straight after being inflated doesn't make it safe.

The fact he had to use a tube to seal the tyre/rim and the distance between the tyre bead and rim wall shows how ridiculous putting the narrow a tyre on that rim is.

A rim has a bead seat, that the tyre bead should neatly fit in, which is between the rim edge wall and a tiny hump on the inside. Shown in the picture below, blue dot is the tiny hump.

View attachment 56642

The bead on the tyre on the correct rim size will natural want to go in the seat area, but just needs the air to push it over the hump.

That hump and the air inside the tyre is all the keeps the tyre from caving in while cornering, or at the stress high speed puts on the tyre, with such a severe stretch as that the tyre once inflated will want to pull itself back over the hump to its natural width, with the forces of driving and normal/safe air pressure in the tyre, the air pressure is not enough to hold the tyre out.

Hope that makes some sense, it's late.

Also I'm not against stretched tyres, done right I think it can look good and can also help with tyres rubbing arches etc. just as long as it's within the safe guidelines of the manufacture.

Personally with the odd spirited drive I do I'd rather have a nice strong square, none stretched tyre.

Tho I do have a set of rims with a small stretch on the tyres and will use them until the tyres are worn as I bought them with tyres and they are nearly new. Unless I get told by mot or police that they aren't safe (which they are as it's a tiny stretch)

yea i know the score alright ive been at it for years.. my last stretch tyres/wheels debeaded on a weekly basis 215 poverty spec tyre on a 10" rim

if i could of been assed looking for 4 tubes it would of solved everything lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You’ll get a ‘notification of failure’ from the test centre if your vehicle fails the test. The failure will be recorded in the secure central MOT database.

You can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing MOT certificate is still valid (ie you got it tested before the expiry date). However, you might be stopped by police and prosecuted if your vehicle is unroadworthy.

If the vehicle fails the test and the certificate has expired, you can only drive it to:

Your vehicle should be retested at the same test centre which did the original test.

Taken from ?

Some of that does seem to contradict what the law have posted here before.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Taken from ?

Some of that does seem to contradict what the law have posted here before.

You can't expect differing elements of the state to agree on everything now, come on.

I thought you knew that by now ;)

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
This one?

image_zpsa24345c4.jpg

I've had many a stretched tyre and never once had an issue. And anyone else's issues I have seen where stretched tyres have been present are caused by other factors like leaking split wheels, or cracked wheels causing pressure to drop. Never once seen a problem caused by stretch on its own.

I know its about getting the "Stance" Right but i dont think it has much of a "Stance" at all. (IMO of course) I dont have a problem with stretch either like i said i run stretch my self, but i think on the above it just looks silly and a bit broken....(i know its bagged/hydro etc etc) Some cars it suits some it doesnt, but now this is bordering on to a completely different argument etc. so ill finish here.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You can't expect differing elements of the state to agree on everything now, come on.

I thought you knew that by now ;)

Only caveat there....that probably applies to the mainland, where more than likely the garage doing the work, is the same garage conducting the test.

I doubt it could be relied on over here.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

I said this months ago, even quoted the NI direct website and still the typical know-it-alls argued against it!!! lol Same rules mainland or not.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I said this months ago, even quoted the NI direct website and still the typical know-it-alls argued against it!!! lol Same rules mainland or not.

The rules are not the same, testing procedures are not the same, testing standards are not the same, the system is not the same.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Stevie if you'd read my post and what I quoted I'm referring to the fail and not a general sweeping statement about anything and everything related to MOTs.

jp112

RMS Regular
Drives
Exeo
Can anyone shed light on this? Anyone been to MOT recently with stretched tyres on?

JonnyH10

RMS Regular
Drives
MK6 Golf GTI
Mine passed a couple of weeks ago with 205/40 on a 8.5. Seems to just depend on who you get on the day!

Gaz86

RMS Regular
This one?

image_zpsa24345c4.jpg

That's one of the dumbest instances of stretched tyre I've ever seen!! No way that can be safe, not to mention it looks utterly pish! In fact it just looks like someones glued a baking tray on top the an alloy!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Thats pretty unfair. There could be two people in at one time, both with stretch. One fails the other doesnt..MOT is a pile of balls IMO.

Anything involving a human being will be down to that person. That's life, nothing to do with MOT's

And MOT's are a very basic inspection. If you cant pass the test...something is badly wrong. If you know you have dodgy stretched tyres, then you should expect a fail so no reason to be pissed off if you do fail.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.