suspension query?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ibitza

RMS Regular
Drives
seat ibiza
Just put some 40mm springs in the car. Well theres a wee bit of paper that comes with the springs saying cut original bump stops by at least 20mm.

I put my rear suspension in and forgot to cut the bump stops, now the car doesnt look as if its went down all that much , would this be a cause of that or will it just take a few days for the springs to settle?

and will not cuting the bump stops cause any harm?

lol cheers , Phil

ibitza

RMS Regular
OP
ibitza
Drives
seat ibiza
lol set of gmax springs because i couldnt afford eibachs.

I take it i should just leave them uncut then (y)??

ibitza

RMS Regular
OP
ibitza
Drives
seat ibiza
yeah lol i did , i seriously dont have the money as i bought new wheels,suspension and geting the windows done on sat for my new ibizzer, so i guess i was being a bit impatient as i want it all on by this weekend lol could of waited and got beter springs lol

brendy

RMS Regular
seriously though fella, get shot of them, they wont last a year anyway, maybe even 6 months, i had pi springs for 5 months and they virtually collapsed inside that time from 35mm they went to 4 inches and thats not in a good way either! i changed to eibachs and the ride was perfect. keep an eye on ebay for polo/ibiza kits, they are cheap from germany etc, fk,eibach,bilstein etc the better makes.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
If its a new Ibiza the rear never sits low enough!!

Ill have my Eibachs for sale in a few weeks if your interested!!

ibitza

RMS Regular
OP
ibitza
Drives
seat ibiza
aye its a new ibiza, i was surprised how easy the rears were to change.

@andy, man im just going to keep what i have for now, probably change cars in a year. To be honest there not that bad atm

beefo

RMS Regular
gmax are absloute turd, have them in the scoob and didn't drop front at all and back makes a bad noise, so standard are going in soon, as brendy says go fro eibach, will be my next move. @ brendy any ideas on where to get them at a good price? halfords want £200+ for springs

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
The car will probably fail the MOT if you cut the bump stops.

I wouldn't remove them. They're there for a reason.

Seatenthusiast

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon Cupra
andy_gdon said:
If its a new Ibiza the rear never sits low enough!!

Ill have my Eibachs for sale in a few weeks if your interested!!

What ru replacing the lowering springs with andy, ru buying a suspension kit, coilovers etc.

Seatenthusiast

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon Cupra
ibitza said:
Just put some 40mm springs in the car. Well theres a wee bit of paper that comes with the springs saying cut original bump stops by at least 20mm.

I put my rear suspension in and forgot to cut the bump stops, now the car doesnt look as if its went down all that much , would this be a cause of that or will it just take a few days for the springs to settle?

and will not cuting the bump stops cause any harm?

lol cheers , Phil

The ibiza sits high at the rear even when lowered, i have heated the rear springs slightly and compressed them down and it worked really well. When heating you only heat the one coil of the spring so no damaged is caused to the overall strength of the spring. If you want nemore info on this let me know.

brendy

RMS Regular
Seatenthusiast said:
The ibiza sits high at the rear even when lowered, i have heated the rear springs slightly and compressed them down and it worked really well. When heating you only heat the one coil of the spring so no damaged is caused to the overall strength of the spring. If you want nemore info on this let me know.
damn you should write to the manufacturers and tell them that they are wrong!:-#

Seatenthusiast

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon Cupra
brendy said:
damn you should write to the manufacturers and tell them that they are wrong!:-#

What you mean Brendy, im just given the guy some tips thats all, heating the springs has worked really well on my car and has not effected the suspension at all, u can achieve the ride height ur looking for and plus it doesnt cost anything.

brendy

RMS Regular
Seatenthusiast said:
What you mean Brendy, im just given the guy some tips thats all, heating the springs has worked really well on my car and has not effected the suspension at all, u can achieve the ride height ur looking for and plus it doesnt cost anything.
im just saying that youre heat stressing something that has already been through the process, manufacturers dont spend millions on R&D for nothing. if the springs are too high, buy lower springs. btw how did you manage to heat the springs hot enough and keep the plastic shielding on them?

im not having a go just surprised/shocked that you did it.

Seatenthusiast

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon Cupra
brendy said:
im just saying that youre heat stressing something that has already been through the process, manufacturers dont spend millions on R&D for nothing. if the springs are too high, buy lower springs. btw how did you manage to heat the springs hot enough and keep the plastic shielding on them?

im not having a go just surprised/shocked that you did it.

Ive tried to get springs that would be suitable but cant same to get them anywhere, the plastic is obviously melted off but once the springs where done i put a drop of black heat resistant spray paint and they put some black tape around the coil, its only a small part of a single coil that is heated.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
Seatenthusiast said:
Ive tried to get springs that would be suitable but cant same to get them anywhere, the plastic is obviously melted off but once the springs where done i put a drop of black heat resistant spray paint and they put some black tape around the coil, its only a small part of a single coil that is heated.

Are you nuts??? Heating a spring is bad, but covering the heated area with black tape!!! Thats just nuts!! Your car will handle like kack and your dampers will be ****ed in no time!!

Im moving to fully adjustable coilovers.

ps...coilsprings.co.uk make springs to your specification.

ibitza

RMS Regular
OP
ibitza
Drives
seat ibiza
right fitted the fronts and its just no low enough at all. Ive decided to buy eibach coilovers on credit lol , anyone want to buy some gmax springs :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.