Taking the elderly off the road

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR A4 Avant
I might have imagined it but isn’t it against the law in the UK for slow moving vehicles to pull in to let faster moving ones past?
Nope. It's encouraged in advanced driving.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
Is it not in the Highway Code that you should pullover when safe to do so to let other vehicles past in a slow moving vehicle

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Must be untrue then!

I think I recall a tractor driving farmer saying something along those lines when asked why he was holding traffic up and not pulling in to allow anyone past.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Had an elderly gent driving the wrong way around Ballyclare's one way system last Friday.

Worst of all, giving out hand gestures to all traffic "in the way"
I have always wondered about that one way system. Seems it used to be 2 way down the road Russell's is on.

GrantR

RMS Regular
It’s a NI thing sadly.

In ROI 95% of people are very curteous, as I commute home from work and get closer to the border if you find a large tailback it’s nearly always a ****ing NI reg car causing it.

Then as soon as they get north of the border they proceed to sit in the overtaking lane at 55mph, on the northbound A1 anyway... oblivious to my furious headlight flashing to GTF 😂

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
I have always wondered about that one way system. Seems it used to be 2 way down the road Russell's is on.

It used to be a two way street around the other side of the square. Doagh road ran right to where it meets Russell’s, the that road ran all the way from rashee road to the bottom of the town. The other bit behind the town hall was just a random link road then.

Man does that make me feel old 😂

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
So yesterday I was dragged to Junction One by the other half to see the new Dobbies and also to get a new suitcase (said store now gone because of Dobbies) so generally a wasted trip but went to the starbucks with the drive through but sat at the table.

Where we were sitting has a view of the drive through traffic so I'm spotting the odd Porsche or type R or whatever while we have our coffee. Next thing my wife gives me the wide eyes of what is happening behind me and says "surely she has looked behind her?!".

I turn round and there is a red Auris backing out of a disabled space very slowly. Thing is the drive through traffic was quite long and next thing she backs clean into the side of a white range rover Evoque/Velar and dents both the driver and rear passenger door.

The guy is nice as pie to her, exchange details, takes photos etc. The lady herself looked about late 60s/early 70s and very apologetic but we were in complete disbelief how she could reverse out of a space with what was at the time the least inconspicuous vehicle sat stationary behind her. Maybe not an elderly thing, perhaps more a brain fart but still.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
So yesterday I was dragged to Junction One by the other half to see the new Dobbies and also to get a new suitcase (said store now gone because of Dobbies) so generally a wasted trip but went to the starbucks with the drive through but sat at the table.

Where we were sitting has a view of the drive through traffic so I'm spotting the odd Porsche or type R or whatever while we have our coffee. Next thing my wife gives me the wide eyes of what is happening behind me and says "surely she has looked behind her?!".

I turn round and there is a red Auris backing out of a disabled space very slowly. Thing is the drive through traffic was quite long and next thing she backs clean into the side of a white range rover Evoque/Velar and dents both the driver and rear passenger door.

The guy is nice as pie to her, exchange details, takes photos etc. The lady herself looked about late 60s/early 70s and very apologetic but we were in complete disbelief how she could reverse out of a space with what was at the time the least inconspicuous vehicle sat stationary behind her. Maybe not an elderly thing, perhaps more a brain fart but still.

It should be mandatory to have to reverse park into a carpark space. Would cut out "most" of that type of incident.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
It should be mandatory to have to reverse park into a carpark space. Would cut out "most" of that type of incident.

Does my head in, the ones that drive into a space near the door at Tesco Portstewart, then reverse out and try to do a 38 point turn to get pointing towards the exit instead of doing a 10 second lap of the car park, all while pretty much bringing all traffic to a standstill ffs 🙈

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Completely agree. That being said, the space had large gaps either side of it so it's not like she couldn't see out of the space or the queue behind her. I assume she was a carer because her passenger sat in the car the whole time.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car

My wife had our 7 day old daughter in the car when some auld "lady" reversed out of her parking space and into the front wing and door of our car as my wife drove past. The auld battle axe proceeded to get out and loose her $h!t with my wife for hitting her!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Skipped through it myself but he gives her the message including the odd dab of oppo

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Hard to beat the sound of a straight cut whine in a car. There's a mini that goes past my parents place and you can hear the whine coming from miles away. Not sure I could daily it though