Tesla’s - “Built Like Kia’s From The 90s”

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
It hasn't but they are proactively fixing them. Excess corrosion iirc.

Wouldn't imagine 1990s Kia doing that

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Tesla trolling at its finest. The tech in those cars is incredible. The standard of finish isn't up to Merc/Audi standards but it's far from an unpleasant place to be which I'm fairly sure a 90s Kia would be. Question is can Tesla maintain their sales momentum and sort the manufacturing issues.

Speaking of recalls, what Tesla are up to is nothing compared to VWs sea of cars that they've bought back because of dieselgate.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The quality is definitely not what you'd expect at the price, however you're paying for the tech and not necessarily a hewn from granite build quality. They'd do well to meet 2018 Kia build quality forgetting about stuff from the 90's

I'd actually signed up for a model 3 last year, but lack of local support network, questionable build quality and manufacturing issues put me off in the end.

Maybe in 10 years. If they're still going that is.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
The tech is good but the fit and finish is nowhere near normal OEM’s never mind the premium OEM’s.

There are a lot of experienced automotive engineers moving to work for Tesla with the aim of improving that and their manufacturing processes

They are losing an incredible amount of money at the minute and unless they can sort out the quality issues and get the volume with the Model 3 I fear for the company. They got the jump on the market but are still losing huge amount of money - in this year and next major OEM’s are launching rivals and this will hit Tesla’s pockets

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Let's face it though....many modern cars are poorly built, many big brand names using lots of Chinese parts.

Aside from Daewoo...weren't Kia one of the first to offer 5-7 year warranties ? And they were some of the cheapest out there, so it's not like people were expecting a lot of quality anyway.

What do Tesla offer ? Aside from quality control...how do they fair up with people who actually use them ? Are any doing decent miles ? What is a true cost per mile ?

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Let's face it though....many modern cars are poorly built, many big brand names using lots of Chinese parts.

Aside from Daewoo...weren't Kia one of the first to offer 5-7 year warranties ? And they were some of the cheapest out there, so it's not like people were expecting a lot of quality anyway.

What do Tesla offer ? Aside from quality control...how do they fair up with people who actually use them ? Are any doing decent miles ? What is a true cost per mile ?

There are plenty of owner views on the likes of Youtube and most of them are mostly positive towards the car in general. However most of the prolific bloggers have had numerous quality issues, breakdowns, repeated attempts to fix the same fault, waiting weeks for parts, oh and horrendously expensive body repairs. I get the general impression that they are a good car when they work....... just they don't work very well. I would say there is a reason why Tesla will not give you any service history details on a car

karron

RMS Regular
Drives
ford puma

Seen a black Tesla on the Sydenham bypass a couple of days ago with a Fonacab sign on the roof.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Seen a black Tesla on the Sydenham bypass a couple of days ago with a Fonacab sign on the roof.

For short journeys in and around Belfast he'd likely get a full days work from it ? Such a vehicle could be a good choice for that if it can prove to be reliable

But it is also the point of these "clean" vehicles. It isnt so much they're actually clean, it's just the "dirt" is moved elsewhere so not as bad within heavily populated cities.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I had saw in Doug De Muro video, that in a crash standard procedure is to cut the high voltage feeds.

To do this in the model 3 you have to cut right through the c pillar.

Surely that's going to make them very easy to write off?

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
A friend in Switzerland has had one for donkeys. 90K KMs on it and still going fine. He loves it. Says it’s basically free to run. I’ve been in it and other Tesla’s and their build quality is pretty poor in some areas for sure but the tech is cool.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I had saw in Doug De Muro video, that in a crash standard procedure is to cut the high voltage feeds.

With modern cars having headlights costing 4 figures, multiple airbags/SRS systems and in general costing a clean fortune to repair. It really doesnt take much to write a car off these days even though there is actually very little wrong with the car.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3

They seem to get written off pretty easy anyway

Rfg

RMS Regular
I have worked on 4 of them now and to be fair they are pretty well put together. There is a lack of pockets in the doors and the owners who have all come from high end German cars say they. Have been less bother to run and service. All modern cars are crap nowadays and the other companies have decades of experience. This is just a new company learning as its going through rapid growth

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.