Tesla Model 3 Performance

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just keep it and keep running it as your daily. No point sinking money into some other commuter box.

This is why I ended up with another 850 instead of a Golf, never mind an EV - suddenly looked cost effective and still fun.

You have the Cayman for fun, yellow is faster 😁

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
For now, I’d like to see how that holds up down the line. Although I suspect I’m in the minority of their customer base given that I bought mine rather than a lease.

Couldn’t even change it now even if I wanted to without taking a massive bath on it.

I love the car itself though

Its almost certainly going to decrease as more and more viable alternatives come on to the market. The next 12 months will see literally dozens of new models available to order.

Used values were always going to take a substantial nose-dive from 2021/2022 levels, Tesla cutting prices just sped the process up a bit.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
So Telsa have brought a few LHD cars over to let people experience them and invited me to drive a plaid since I had one ordered.

Had a good hour in it and feck me. Words cannot describe the acceleration it’s insane, made my vision blurry lol my 3 is no slouch and this feels in a totally different planet.

The newer interior is lovely but I didn’t like the yoke. Found it very clumsy for low speed manoeuvres but you can get it with a regular round wheel.

Overall I didn’t find the LHD as annoying as I thought it would, drive through and car parks would be the main issue.

I love the way it looks too, very sleek!

It’s put it back on the table to consider. Having another go in it next week to see how I feel once the initial wow factor has died down.

99A9789B-EF6B-41C7-AD0B-5E121763B042.jpeg
384C9304-D9E9-44F1-BDBE-8D9434416BE6.jpeg

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Not for the foreseeable. It was a RHD I had ordered. Initially there was around a 2year waiting list then a few weeks ago everyone that had an order got an email to say that they weren’t making them in RHD, same with model x also.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
To be honest, if you do a lot of car parks, toll booths, drive-through, etc., then LHD gets very boring very quickly. Even more so in winter.

On the road you get used to it. Just watch out exiting junctions, and changing lanes. You learn to work around it but visibility can be an issue.

Overtaking is awkward. Again you learn to work around it, but it's never the same as RHD.

But if you want one you want one 😁

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
I got a M3P loaner for a weekend when my SR+ was in for work. It was stupid fast - can't imagine what the Plaid is like!

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Why are they not making them in RHD?

No idea, guess they are focusing on 3 and Y production and RHD is maybe too small a market for the hassle but honestly I have no idea.

They did make them in RHD for a while, hence my initial order. This is the email they then sent out a few weeks ago

5D627F5B-2ECD-4EE7-9813-C331D82B87E9.png

davyk31

RMS Regular
Can’t imagine resale of the left hand drive models here would be that handy either. For me left hand drive would be a no go no matter how good the car.

davyk31

RMS Regular
The residual will still affect the lease price but at least from the outset you know the costs and can’t get stung further.

What’s the 0 to 60??

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I can’t understand the LHD thing tbh. Wouldn’t even consider it as a result either.

From an OEM point of view it’s pretty simple - if the market isn’t big enough there is no point engineering, certifying and then building a RHD version

Given the low volumes of Model S and X worldwide never mind in RHD markets it makes total sense for Tesla

I’ve driven loads of LHD cars in the U.K. and would be fine with it but can understand why it would rule it out for 90% of potential buyers

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
The LHD drive thing is bound to make getting insurance more difficult too?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
From an OEM point of view it’s pretty simple - if the market isn’t big enough there is no point engineering, certifying and then building a RHD version

Given the low volumes of Model S and X worldwide never mind in RHD markets it makes total sense for Tesla

I’ve driven loads of LHD cars in the U.K. and would be fine with it but can understand why it would rule it out for 90% of potential buyers

I get it, but surely a Model S is far more common than a lot of other cars that are made in both LHD and RHD? Maybe I’m overestimating how common S’s are.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
RHD markets are pretty small. You’d need to really really want one to suffer LHD only

IMG_4046.png

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
You guys are really failing to understand what the speed of this thing felt like 😂

I understand now what the first hit of heroin must feel like and the life choices that ensue with chasing the dragon.

The overtaking thing isn’t a problem in it, hang back a bit more than usual to increase your vision and then in half a second you have torpedo’d to a new county, never mind past a car 😂

…. but sadly yes, I would imagine a total ball ache
The LHD drive thing is bound to make getting insurance more difficult too?

I actually asked that question. It’s bound too. Still it’s a 120k car so I’d imagine insurance isn’t cheap to begin with.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
It would suck all the fun out of the speed that it can do. No matter how much you tried to sell it to yourself

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I get it, but surely a Model S is far more common than a lot of other cars that are made in both LHD and RHD? Maybe I’m overestimating how common S’s are.

They produced 70000 Model S/X combined last year worldwide compared to 1.3 million Model 3/Y

Then remember the only big markets that are RHD are U.K., Japan, Aus and NZ

I cannot seem to find how many Model S sold in U.K. last year but they did sell 54500 Model 3/Y

So if the U.K. ratio is the same as their worldwide production that means they sold circa 3000 Model S/X combined

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
To be honest, if you do a lot of car parks, toll booths, drive-through, etc., then LHD gets very boring very quickly. Even more so in winter.

On the road you get used to it. Just watch out exiting junctions, and changing lanes. You learn to work around it but visibility can be an issue.

Overtaking is awkward. Again you learn to work around it, but it's never the same as RHD.

But if you want one you want one 😁
21nnl2evbvt51.jpg